is your birthday a "big deal"?

Options
momblobnomore
momblobnomore Posts: 19 Member
I feel like as we age theres a mixed reactions to birthdays some people throw,a big party others dont even mention it .

What do you do for yours? I just go out with a few friends, and dont tell everyone its my bday but i have a friend who made a facebook event for her 24th birthday in october back in may.

Replies

• Codename_Duchess
    Codename_Duchess Posts: 2,042 Member
    Options
    I go to Chuck E. Cheese. It's the bee's knees.
  • fivethreeone
    fivethreeone Posts: 8,196 Member
    Options
    Some people are really into their birthdays. I just don't get it.

The only reason I am looking forward to this one is because I am birthday triplets with two of the coolest ladies on MFP
  • Iron_Lotus
    Iron_Lotus Posts: 2,295 Member
    Options
    In my town everyone gets the day off to celebrate my birthday
  • worldsbestauntie
    worldsbestauntie Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    I guess it depends on what birthday it is. This year I turned 34. I took myself out for breakfast and my parents came down to spend some time with me and took me to supper. That was about it. Now next year's birthday? That one I have want to do something special and half want to ignore how old I will be turning!
  • Jerrypeoples
    Jerrypeoples Posts: 1,541 Member
    Options
    once you stop getting underoos and you get more practical things, life is just a series of bumps going downhill
  • breeZrizi
    breeZrizi Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    my b day is not that big of a deal. I honestly forgot what age I was going to be this year and had to sit and think about it lol. After kids I just don't think much of mine really. It's all about theirs and its a count down till their day.
  • worldsbestauntie
    worldsbestauntie Posts: 280 Member
    Options

I take it your birthday is a holiday? On my dad's birthday EVERYONE get's the day off. It's a statutory holiday. His birthday is Dec. 25.
  • Iron_Lotus
    Iron_Lotus Posts: 2,295 Member
    Options

I take it your birthday is a holiday? On my dad's birthday EVERYONE get's the day off. It's a statutory holiday. His birthday is Dec. 25.

Nope the holiday is my birthday :) No other holiday shares it
  • SailorKnightWing
    SailorKnightWing Posts: 875 Member
    Options
    My birthday often falls on Labor Day, or that weekend. Everyone in America celebrates my birthday!
  • lotr4000
    lotr4000 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Haha, I used to say that it was "cursed". So I never used to mention it.
    But after my daughter was born, I realized how special birthdays are.
    I don't want my Mom to see me holed away on the day she gave birth to me, because I was her rainbow baby. I was her special gift after losing my two older sisters and my older brother. So now I celebrate it. In memory of my daughter, and in honor of my mother.
    Nothing big, like today I went out for ice cream at Dairy Queen to support Miracle Treat Day and my local children's hospital. :)
    I'm hanging out with my husband and my brother-in-law, watching movies, and posting all of my birthday pictures on Facebook in a nice little album. :)
    So I suppose it's different for everyone, but now I take the time to enjoy it.
    And when I finally get my rainbow baby, I'll be able to tell them why their birthday is so special to me and the rest of the family. :)
  • mrsnathanandrew
    mrsnathanandrew Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    When I was a teenager I thought it was, like I would countdown "oh my birthday is in a week" or "hey my birthday is tomorrow"

This year I'll be 24 and since I turned 20 it just hasn't been that big of a deal to me. I won't bring it up, but if you remember and do something for me, it doesn't bother me. Even my 21st birthday was spent at home cuddling on the couch with my then fiance (now husband). I'll go all out for others birthdays, but mine doesn't matter.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    I quietly celebrate a "surrogate" b-day if you will of being cancer free now a days. One more year type thing has much more meaning to me,,,
  • SoViLicious
    SoViLicious Posts: 2,633 Member
    Options
    Mine is January 23rd... I book that whole week! Plan my celebration NOW!
  • Birder150
    Birder150 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    I just celebrated mine on the 3rd.
    I had lunch with my mom and my wonderful boyfriend bbq-d dinner for me. After we went for an hour long bike ride ... me on the new bike he bought for me. :)
    I like things quiet, birthday or not.
  • Birder150
    Birder150 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    I quietly celebrate a "surrogate" b-day if you will of being cancer free now a days. One more year type thing has much more meaning to me,,,

A fantastic celebration indeed!
  • littlelaura
    littlelaura Posts: 1,028 Member
    Options
    my birthday is in 2 weeks from today (8/22) so will let you know then if anyone makes a big deal of it or if its a non event
  • _Krys10_
    _Krys10_ Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    My birthday was a week ago and I didn't say anything to anyone, my friends and family knew...I'm old, I could skip birthdays
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    I just always try to do something for myself, even if no one else does. "Big deal" is kind of relative.

One year, I threw myself a party at the Mexican restaurant (FB invites sent out). Another year, I got to go to Disney World with my kids. This year, I took myself to the movies and saw two movies that I was dying to see, and bought myself lunch. I don't think it really matters what you do so long as it is something that you can enjoy.
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    Never had anyone to celebrate it with. Don't care to either.
  • LavenderBouquet
    LavenderBouquet Posts: 736 Member
    Options
    I don't know about it being a "big deal," but I get pretty excited and plan an afternoon with a bunch of friends with cake and balloons. I love that kind of stuff :happy: