Hello MFP ladies

Options
13»

Replies

• _Krys10_
    _Krys10_ Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    When I was young my uncle left my aunt for another woman, she hadn't had a job in years, he left her with the kids and no money. She told me to never rely on someone else to take care of you. I took that to heart, my husband can support us but I chose to work full time. We split duties but my husband is a clean freak.
  • michlama
    Options
    HOUSEWIFE!!!!

I love the idea of being home. Vacuuming, cleaning, running errands, taking care of the kids. That is my ideal.
    I don't mind scrubbing and would love to home school my kids.
    I completely understand this is not for everyone though. You have to want it. I do but I work ;/ I am the sole wage earner due to hubby's disability. Soooooo I only get to clean and cook on the weekends and if I beat traffic and can make it home in time.
  • CarmenSRT
    CarmenSRT Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    what is your preference, house wife or working?

I want one of each, perhaps two working so I don't have to work but for sure I want one to clean the house.

How hard is it to actually wash clothes and clean? Let's be honest. Most women throw the clothes in the washer, watch soap operas for an hour, and then throw them in the dryer when they're done. Cooking probably means you heat up a pizza or frozen dinner in the oven. It's not really anything that couldn't be done if you worked too.

Oh if only it worked that way....:laugh:
  • Becca619
    Becca619 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I am currently a stay at home mom to an almost-6 year old and a 2.5 year old. I also homeschool/cyber school our oldest child as well, 1st grade starts in a couple weeks :) I could not imagine my life any other way! Is it stressful at times, oh yeah, but would I change anything about it, No Way :) This is something we both wanted - for me to be at home raising the kids, schooling the kids, taking care of the house. Its a struggle some times, but we have made it this far and plan on continuing until our kids go to public school or until they are done with school, whichever comes first. I'm happy I am the one raising them, teaching them, taking care of them, watching them. My job doesn't pay me financially, but it keeps me busy and I couldn't imagine having any other job right now :)
  • bubblygoldfish
    bubblygoldfish Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I tried to be a housewife.... but after a year, i started to feel like I wasn't doing anything worthwile. I felt like I needed to impact the world in a larger way. Also, I got bored. It didn't take me long to cook/clean/laundry. But i didn't have any kids, so it is probably very different. Raising a child is very rewarding, if you have the temperment for it.
  • Mikeys_Girl
    Options
    I am currently a housewife, and I rather love it! I have three kids of my own 11 yr old boy and 9 yr old twins. My hubby has a 16 yr old and 13 yr old and a 11 year old. So with six kids there is always so much work and cooking to be done. I do not feel as if I am married to my house at all. I am a tattoo artist by trade and can tat up people right out of my home when I have the opportunity. I was in a very controlling and abusive first marriage, and I am taking this time to raise my kids right and find myself. I got married very young to a much older man and never really knew who I was other than his cook, maid and punching bag. Through the past couple of years I have learned to love again, and not just my amazing hubby but myself and my life and the world around me!! I have plans as the kids get older to open up my own tattoo parlor, but for now I just want my babies to blossom into loving and caring young adults. But the mothers who chose to work are amazing women to take that on while raising children, I worked for the first 5r yrs of my kiddos life and then went to college, and it is no easy task. All mothers, either stay at home or working are brave and strong women, because kids will put you thru the ringer and turn your hair grey not to mention make you lose your voice a time or two!
  • Becca619
    Becca619 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Oh, and my husband has said many times he cannot imagine being at home with the kids and doing everything I do all the time - he said the kids would probably be duct taped to the wall ;):) Staying at home isn't for everyone, but like I said in my other post, for me, for us, I cannot imagine things any different from this nor do I want to. :)
  • salladeve
    salladeve Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options
    I worked from the time I was 15 until I retired 4 years ago. I raised two children, while working full time, and I have to say that as difficult as that was at times, both of my children have turned out to be responsible productive adults, so I consider it a job well done. I never wanted to be a SAHM, and since I made more the my dh, it was never a question.

I always wonder what women will do if they spend so many of their productive adult years at home, out of the workforce, and not developing professional work skills, should their be a divorce or death of their spouse? How will they provide for their families? This was always in the back of my mind, as I have seen really sad situations over the years, of women losing their homes, or being destitute after a divorce. I vowed never to be in that situation, and thank God it never came up. I never doubted however, that if I had to I would be able to provide for my children, support them and give them an education even if I had to do it alone.
  • _Krys10_
    _Krys10_ Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    I worked from the time I was 15 until I retired 4 years ago. I raised two children, while working full time, and I have to say that as difficult as that was at times, both of my children have turned out to be responsible productive adults, so I consider it a job well done. I never wanted to be a SAHM, and since I made more the my dh, it was never a question.

I always wonder what women will do if they spend so many of their productive adult years at home, out of the workforce, and not developing professional work skills, should their be a divorce or death of their spouse? How will they provide for their families? This was always in the back of my mind, as I have seen really sad situations over the years, of women losing their homes, or being destitute after a divorce. I vowed never to be in that situation, and thank God it never came up. I never doubted however, that if I had to I would be able to provide for my children, support them and give them an education even if I had to do it alone.

Exactly my thoughts!! I know some women enjoy it, I certainly hope the life insurance policies are in effect in case the worst happens
  • royalty819
    royalty819 Posts: 145 Member
    Options

Exactly my thoughts!! I know some women enjoy it, I certainly hope the life insurance policies are in effect in case the worst happens

life insurance... check

and he can leave me if he would like, because then i will have a check for alimony, and child support!!!!!

ha ha ha

just kidding, but for real though. . . . . . . . .
  • royalty819
    royalty819 Posts: 145 Member
    Options

life insurance... check

and he can leave me if he would like, because then i will have a check for alimony, and child support

ha ha ha

seriously, I agree with all of your opinions ladies, because there is more than one way to manage a home, as there is more than one way to skin a cat! I am proud of all of you wonderful women!
  • salladeve
    salladeve Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options

life insurance... check

and he can leave me if he would like, because then i will have a check for alimony, and child support

ha ha ha

seriously, I agree with all of your opinions ladies, because there is more than one way to manage a home, as there is more than one way to skin a cat! I am proud of all of you wonderful women!

I understand your choice and I respect it. I have just seen so much over the years, women that expected alimony and child support and didn't get it. I've known men that quite their jobs, moved out of the state or just refused to pay..... It happens.

In the end it is your choice and no you do not go into marriage expecting the person you love most in the world to treat you badly, but it does happen. It has happened to those really close to me, and it made an impact on me in a very profound way. That is the reason I've made the choices I have. I married my high school sweetheart, we have been together for 44 years and my children are all grown now, so the worst I imaged didn't happen, even though the statistics for teenage marriage ending in divorce are astronomical. We had our rough patches just like anyone else, but I was always secure in the fact that I could take care of myself and my children. 40 years ago, I was criticized a lot for my choice to work, it is not like it is now, where for the most part women respect each others decisions.

As women we need to support each other, and the decisions we all make in the best interests of our families. I wish you the best, your choice in the end is the only one that really matters.