is your birthday a "big deal"?

Options

Replies

• djeffreys10
    djeffreys10 Posts: 2,312 Member
    Options
    I'm 32. My birthday is just another day. On my 30th birthday, I actually made plans. Everyone , every *kitten* one, canceled on me. So I don't even try.
  • mom2dzbnwe
    mom2dzbnwe Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I always make my kids birthdays a BIG DEAL! My mom did that for us--we didn't have big parties, but your actual birthday was all about you---favorite foods, favorite/requested cake, present, and always a surprise of some sort. We didn't have a lot of money but we always had great birthdays.
    Now, I don't make a big deal--my best friend (since high school) has a birthday 6 days after mine and we both moved a couple of hours from our home town with our husbands but fortunately live a couple blocks from each other so we always celebrate together. She loves to make sashes or crowns or puff painted t-shirts we wear when we go out...so we get lots of birthday wishes and every once in a while there's a free drink or dessert! :O)
  • LavenderBouquet
    LavenderBouquet Posts: 736 Member
    Options
    Nothing more irritating than an adult trying to make a big deal of their own birthday.

That comment made me sad :frown: I don't see the harm in an adult wanting to celebrate their first day of life.
  • bubblygoldfish
    bubblygoldfish Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I'm 32. My birthday is just another day. On my 30th birthday, I actually made plans. Everyone , every *kitten* one, canceled on me. So I don't even try.

Dude, i'm sorry. That really sucks. I tend to get FB messages from distant friends, calls to hang out from close friends, and an actual party with my family. Then again, my family tends to delay my b-day afew days until Thanksgiving. Hmm, maybe that's why the entire family shows up to the party.....
  • peeaanuut
    peeaanuut Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    My birthday has always been a wash. People cancel on plans, so I stopped even trying about 15 years ago. Its just another day for me now.
  • Im_NotPerfect
    Im_NotPerfect Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    Not since I had my son...2 days before my birthday 7 years ago! Now it's all about him (and/or Father's day since they fall all at the same time). Now I get spoiled on Mother's Day instead...
  • dadof2boyz
    dadof2boyz Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    birthdays come and go and they're not a huge deal for me - I always wanted them to be more of a big deal than they were but no longer. guess time cures everything!!
  • MercenaryNoetic26
    MercenaryNoetic26 Posts: 2,747 Member
    Options
    Yes, I will celebrate my birth week with debauchery

dat's what I'm talkin' bout!

Not even milestone b-days? Unless I'm preggers I better have a good time on my BDay. my 30th included some Thunder from Down Under. Memories...
  • julesandrad
    julesandrad Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    it's been 2 years that I celebrate my birthday on pre contest diet LoL So you get the picture...
    Everyone is having cake and I get to have a chicken&veggies lol
  • verptwerp
    verptwerp Posts: 3,659 Member
    Options
    Oh yes, birthdays are cool & there's always cake ....... if it's chocolate, I might even eat a piece :happy:

temptation.jpg
  • Cait_Sidhe
    Cait_Sidhe Posts: 3,150 Member
    Options
    The entire world must take a pause and observe that it is my birthday, the most important day of the year.

Not really. Last year was kind of a big deal number wise for me. I spent it alone and penniless.
  • RedHotHunter
    RedHotHunter Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    My birthday has sucked for so many years that I've been conditioned to hate it.
    40 is coming up in 3 weeks and I'm VERY grumpy about it. :grumble:
  • SmoothRiko
    SmoothRiko Posts: 193
    Options
    I always make my birthday the biggest deal of life. Lately its been rather uneventful, but I know when I wake up, and the calendar says Nov. 27th, I am so excited I could bust a button!

I was born on Thanksgiving Day back in '86, so every Thanksgiving, I imagine that all families gather their hands in prayer at the dinner table :drinker: in America to thank their Heavenly Father, that I graced the planet.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • dysonspacz
    dysonspacz Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    It's just another day in paradise
  • Blacklance36
    Blacklance36 Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    A lady I work with celebrates the whole week, I tend to ignore mine.

Its funny how people age, i.e. my kids would proudly say "Im 5 and a 1/2" and adults just say "Im 29" but my grandpa used to say "Im 85 and 1/2, just like the kids.
  • jmc0806
    jmc0806 Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    Mine was 2 days ago. I didn't even have anything planned until 2 days prior when my friends set up dinner and a movie. I don't really celebrate my birthday much
  • TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    I stopped celebrating my birthday after my 30th. My mom still calls to say happy birthday, and my husband will buy me a birthday gift, but that is about it.
  • zeebruhgirl
    zeebruhgirl Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    My 21st birthday I worked, and went to bed by 7pm.
    This year hubby and I are going on a Mexican Cruise! Very excited!

Probably the first birthday I've done anything since I was like 16.
  • nursek_2010
    nursek_2010 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    umm YESS! hello it's my birthday! :) i don't expect anything too crazy but at least a little fun with fam & friends! :)
  • oOxXxOo
    oOxXxOo Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I have done nothing at all since my 21st. My 30th my son was fighting cancer, seemed wholly inappropriate to celebrate anything. I am now 34...I plan on spending my 40th in Paris (I live in Australia).