Advice on what foods to eat please

Options
2»

Replies

• fionaface
    fionaface Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    IN RESPONSE TO: If you are eating packaged meals, what are your kids eating?

You would be surprised. I cook for my kids (and they get from-scratch meals at daycare too), but haven't for myself. I won't make excuses for why. It is a fact though that I am trying to save money, and I don't eat when they do (I work overnights).

I haven't been eating the packaged meals much. It was more of a plan I was pondering. I have to start somewhere, and I would rather do that then skip or make truly bad choices for myself.
  • jaymie_x0
    jaymie_x0 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    feel free to add me & look at my dairy for ideas.
  • jaymie_x0
    jaymie_x0 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    by the way, packaged meals are horrible for you, your health is worth the investment.
  • mrsjones2point0
    mrsjones2point0 Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    My diary is open if you want ideas. Although sometimes, I admit I'm hit or miss, but I really find inspiration from other people's diaries.

But a great idea, I've found, is spend an afternoon (or morning) premaking your own from scratch meals, and tupperware them for the week, or at least a few days worht of meals at a time. They will be healthier than the pre-packaged foods and you can tailor them more towards your caloric/marco needs.
  • FerretBuellerr
    FerretBuellerr Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    by the way, packaged meals are horrible for you, your health is worth the investment.

^Agreed. If you made something similar to what you buy, it would be not only much healthier (ie. WAY more veggies, less salt, sugar) but also fill you up more in general. It might cost a bit more, but it's much better for your health - and buying in bulk and cooking big meals and freezing the rest is a great way to save money too!

I used to be a big pre-packaged eater, especially once I started working a full-time desk job (all my other jobs were fast-food so it was easy to just eat there) but since I've been cooking the majority of my own meals (with the constant and awesome help of my boyfriend) we've both lost some weight and our energy and temperament levels have gone way up!

Oh, does your husband (assuming you are still with him) help with the cooking of the kids food? I also didn't enjoy cooking because I always did it by myself, and I found it took way to long, but with the two of us doing it together, it goes by quicker and we get more bonding time :smile:
  • maybeazure
    maybeazure Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    Watch for sales on seasonal fruit / vegetables. Right now around here blueberries are in season and therefore inexpensive. Also they are awesome for you.

I really don't like to cook, but I'm not crazy about frozen meals either, so I will do stuff like cook a whole pound of lean hamburger and then divide it into individual servings. Then I'll eat that with a tortilla or rice or something. I'll do the same with chicken breasts...cook several at a time and then have them for a few days in a row.

I eat salad quite a bit. If they are on sale I will start with a pre-packaged salad mix, because I'm lazy. If those seem too expensive a head of lettuce is always cheaper. Then I add cottage cheese, raisins, and something crunchy like nuts or crackers. With the cottage cheese I don't need salad dressing.

Rice cookers are a great invention. Even I can't mess up rice when I use one of those, and rice is really inexpensive...although fairly high in calories.
  • GypsyPirate
    GypsyPirate Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    500 extra calories a day? Yum! Okay, our tastes may not be exactly alike, but these are my go to snack items that I always have and eat multiple days a week without getting tired of them.
    Pistachios - a serving is about 49 nuts for around 160 calories
    Hard boiled egg - 70 calories of yum!
    Weight Watchers String Cheese - 50 calories. They have a couple of flavors, I prefer the smoked one
    Baby Bel light cheese wheels, again, 50 calories
    Gala or Yellow Delicious apples - a medium one is about 80 calories
    Stick pretzels - 42 (or so depending on the brand) for 110 calories
    Aldi brand Fit & Active protein Meal Bar in Double Chocolate for 170 calories
    Pudding snack cups - they have them that are 60 or 70 calories, great way to fix a chocolate craving!
    Dannon Lite & Fit (or whatever it's called) Greek - the 80 calorie cups. far fewer calories than other greek yogurts, a good serving size and yummy flavors (they just came out with a coconut - I love it!)

Hope these help some, or help you think of other things that you would enjoy.
  • annasor70
    annasor70 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Make a gorgeous big Moroccan lentil stew ...you can find recipes online and eat it a few days a week (you can freeze it in portions)...or buy whole wheat pre made pizza crusts and add a load of fresh veggies, spices, herbs and crushed walnuts on top.
    You could also make a great veggie stew which you can eat during the week with either couscous or brown rice or whole wheat pasta.
    Another idea is to make a miso soup and add lots of veggies again like mushrooms, greens and maybe tofu and add udon noodles.
    Snack on avocados drizzled with lemon juice and eat with grain bread....good for healthy fats....or hummus and veggies or pitta bread.
  • namelesshere
    namelesshere Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    If you have a crockpot it can be your best friend. Get a good crockpot recipe book and start cooking away. Usually you can make something that can be packaged for lunch at work and heated in the microwave. Always good for soups, Stirfry is good, You don't say how old your kid are but if they are old enough you can make cooking healthy a family affair. You can roast a whole chicken in the crockpot, take the meat off the bones, throw them back in the pot with water to create soup stock, get the bones out, add veggies and (noodles, rice, or dumplings) and you have a delicious second meal from that bird. You can also thicken the soup before adding the (noodles, rice, or dumplings) and make chicken ala king. Serve over bisquick biscuits. Original bird you can eat as is, or set aside a portion of the meat for hotdishes. Many options.