When do you find time to exercise??

Options
We hear excuses all the time. Many people use a lot of excuses out there to not move their bodies.
So, I'd like to know what your challenges are and how you get exercise worked into your day.
When do you find time to exercise?

I have a full time job, 2 kids, husband and I workout with my husband every morning at 5am. The alarm goes off at 4:20am, hit snooze, goes off again at 4:30am, get up and change. Wake my husband. We hit the family room and workout to P90X or Insanity.
Sometimes I walk a mile with coworkers in the afternoon.
Sometimes I hit the gym at lunch time.

Replies

• jrich1
    jrich1 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    I dont think about it, I just do it (so I cant talk myself out of my wed morning one at 5:45am) I make it apart of my routine, I plan for it and plan my life and meals around it.

Someone said, if its something you want to do, you will find a way to do it.
  • Shawna_831
    Options
    I have full time job, husband and 2 kids who are very active in after school sports and homework every night that requires mommy's help. I get up around 5am, drink a cup of coffee and then hit the elliptical. I love the weekends when I have the freedom of working out when ever. I am not a morning person. Change that, I was not a morning person. I love the am workouts now.
  • SaraTN
    SaraTN Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    I don't "find" the time, I make it. I treat working out like an obligation. I set a new schedule every two weeks. My current schedule goes a little like this:

6 am - wake up, get moving around for 15 minutes, get dressed, go for a 30-45 minute walk or run.
    7 am- JM 30 day shred
    7:30-8:30 get ready - pack lunch etc.
    8:30-10:30 - run errands, take care of personal chef business administrative stuff
    11-8pm work.
    Lunch - work out for 45-60 min at gym
    8pm hit gym for another 30-60 minutes.

I make sure I walk a minimum of 10000 steps per day (outside of exercise).

This is my life until 9/30.
  • hjsyndrome
    Options
    I tried doing it first thing in the morning, but I just cant wake up. So I am starting to do this at night, after 8PM. WOW, 4:20 in the morning, there is just no way I can do that - I wish I could tho. I applaud you on your ability to get up that early and take care of it.
  • redefiningmyself
    redefiningmyself Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    My husband and I go in the evening after dinner. And I take of any opportunties that come along during the day as well. I especially make it a point to get in extra exercise on my days off work.
    So far its working for us. :)
  • rachelblank427
    rachelblank427 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Right now, I am a stay at home mom, so I exercise during my daughters naps. Usually the first nap is 30 minutes, so I take that time to do interval cardio. During her afternoon nap which is about 1 1/2 hours I usually try to do a little bit more cardio or strength then. I have no clue what I plan on doing after I go back to work though.
  • kpopa
    kpopa Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    I am a commuter. My alarm goes off at 4:30 so I can get myself ready and then walk and feed the dogs. I leave the house at 5:45 and don't get home again until 6:15 where I have to AGAIN feed and walk the dogs.

I find my best exercise strategy is taking my 2 -15 min breaks and my lunch hour to walk a few times around the block (I log approx 2.5 miles every day and at least 30 minutes of walking) then, on my way back up to my desk, I take the stairs! Four flights every time can log 15 min a day. Add it all together and I'm usually at about an hour of exercise 5 days a week and that's not even counting the dog walks!!!!
  • Shash27
    Shash27 Posts: 172
    Options
    I go during my lunch most weekdays. I try to get to the gym for an aerobics class Tuesday, Thurs evenings. If I know I have another appointment or something like that I workout on my lunch. Saturday and Sunday I either hit the gym, hike or do SOMETHING active. I've worked hard to make exercise a part of my daily routine and I'm keeping it that way.
  • littlemamajamie
    littlemamajamie Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I have 4 kids twin 7 year olds I have to get ready for school every morning a 2 year old and a 1 year old. I also have a husband and a job and I will not put my children in daycare so I only work in the evening after he gets home. I get up at 5:30 a.m. its really hard to do by the end of the week because I usually don't get to bed until 11:00 p.m. but the little ones get into trouble and try to climb on me if I try to workout when they are awake. I have to talk myself into getting out of bed most mornings by telling myself how crabby I am when I don't get my workout in.
  • SweetPandora
    SweetPandora Posts: 660 Member
    Options
    I work full time and have a 45 minute commute each way to work.

I go to the gym on my lunch hour Monday to Friday.

I run/walk right after work when I get home 2-3 times a week and Sunday mornings.

I get a free family membership to a health club through my office, unfortunately it is not close to the office and out of my way from home so I pay for a membership to a gym that is convenient to my office.

Where there is a will there is a way!

Karen
  • Cina04
    Cina04 Posts: 609
    Options
    I'm a stay at home mom w/ a 2yr old and a 9 month old.

Depending on my workout load or my schedule for the day, I wake up at 5am to do my first set and during nap time I do my second set. My daughter knows that her nap time is mommy's exercise time so she either takes a nap, plays in her room, or watches TV on mommy's bed (which she loves the best lol)

Yesterday I had 3 workouts to do and I had slept in (I was sick for 2 and a half days) so I worked out from 2:15pm to 4:45pm and my girls let me do what I need to do! =)
  • Dtrmnd1
    Dtrmnd1 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    First of all thank you for asking this question! WOW I am inspired to read all the stories and what is sacrificed to be healthy!!!
    I applaud all of you :drinker: or say cheers LOL

I am a stay at home mom/wife with a 6yr old and a 16month old.
    My day is pretty jam packed as my job duties are ENDLESS and I am determined to succeed in EVERY area of my job (though I would LOVE a maid hahaha)!
    I workout after I drop my son off at school @ 9am while my daughter naps.
  • TabiHerbalifeCoach
    Options
    I am a single mom, too two kids, 3, and 5, They have soccer and dance respectively, I am also active duty Navy, and I take online classes. I work out 5-6 days a week, if i can convience myself to get up at 4 am then I do it then , if not, when I get home, my kids play in the play area in the living room or upstairs in their play room, my neighborhood has a gym with a kids play area, a window wall connecting the gym and a play room, so I bring the computer put on a movie for them and let them play while I do the elliptical or the treadmill.

it is very true no matter how crazy you schedule is if you really want somehting you will find a way to make it happen.
  • BR1986FB
    BR1986FB Posts: 1,515 Member
    Options
    I'm up at 4:15am and on the road (hour and 15 minute one way commute) to work by 6am. Get home at 5:30pm and that's when I work out Monday through Thursday (Friday is my off day). I'm usually in bed in the 8:30-9pm range. On Saturday & Sunday I typically train at 10 or 11am unless it's NFL football season and then I try to get it done earlier. When I was doing P90X Doubles I was getting up at 3:15am for Cardio X.
  • mrsoverload
    Options
    i worked 5.5 days a week and on the day that i worked only half day i try to get some rest in since the following days are my longest and hardest ones DREADFUL FRIDAYS then WEARY SATURDAYS (i absolutely HATE working on Saturdays)

Between Nov 2009 - April 2010 i exercised at 5AM 5days/week at a gym with a trainer but was not pleased with my results since i had only lost 11LBS when compared to my 40LBS weight loss in 2007 over a period of 6MTHS which i did all on my own without help

In May i was ill for the whole month and with the medication that i was prescribed i gained all weight back and then some, however these days i struggle with my exercise routine since the medication makes me drowsy and crave carbs. Also my days starts at 7:30 to 6:00 work then i'm too tired to exercise in the evenings and i sleep late since my husband gets home from work around 10:00PM, then we chat to catch up so by the time i fall asleep is way too late in order to get up early to exercise.

HELP PLZ!! suggestions needed
  • rachel5576
    rachel5576 Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    Well i am a stay at home mom with 4 kids and a dog. Two are in school and the youngest two are 3 and 1. I have homework to help with afterschool activities, bible study, laundry, cooking etc. I get up at 5:30 in the morning to get some form of exercise in before i have to make breakfast it could be anything depending on how im feeling. If im really tired i just do yoga if im feeling really energetic i'll run and/or do an aerobics video. I try to squeeze exercise in any chance i get throughout the day. My little ones nap i do something, or i do a video or the treadmill while they play even if i only have ten minutes its something and that is so much better than nothing. If i couldn't find time to workout during the day which rarely happens now that i love it so much i wait til the kids go to bed. I save the weekends when my husband is around to go for big walks which i just love.
  • Amandac6772
    Amandac6772 Posts: 1,311 Member
    Options
    I get up at 4:15 am to do a DVD, right now it's Turbo Fire with some 30 Day Shred thrown in on light days. I try to go walk for 20 minutes at lunch but it's been so hot this summer that I haven't done that much. If I wait until evening I won't do it.
  • lmvince
    lmvince Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I'm at the gym at 7:00am, then go to work immediately after. My goal not to make working out a chore, so if I'm too sleepy in the morning, I go after work, or I walk a couple laps around the building.
  • karlowe
    karlowe Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I choose Zumba dvd's after work while being a domestic goddess. lol!
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    I'm with you man! I wait until my fiance is home from work (which is at sporadic times) do the evening abulations with the child...get supper cooked, homework done, laundry in process...once my son goes to bed around 8pm I head to the gym and work my butt off for 1-1.5 hours 5 days a week. I can't imagine getting out of bed before my 4th alarm goes off.