Anyone go from lazy - fitness freak? Share stories here!!

Options

Replies

• Fitfully_me
    Fitfully_me Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    Been there and back a couple times. :wink: Guess I'm kinda a cyclical fitness freak.

I go hard... Life happens, *ish comes up. I miss a workout or 10... get lazy... haven't worked out in months, then
    I go hard... Life. (I think you see where this is going)

Trying to keep my Fitness Freak status!
  • Axioml
    Axioml Posts: 29
    Options
    With out a doubt I am focused!!!!!
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Yes I used to be really lazy, I discovered heavy lifting and fell in love. :love:
  • seilidhe
    seilidhe Posts: 1,042 Member
    Options
    Not exactly a fitness freak, more like lazy to active. I've gone from nothing to yoga and body flow (once a week each) and zumba (every other week) and the elliptical to adding 2 BodyPump classes to adding the treadmill at my apartment on the days I don't go to the gym.

I am incredibly lazy and I don't know where I'm going with this... I guess we'll see. :D
  • RoyBeck
    RoyBeck Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    3 months ago I was heavily obese, always tired, constantly had headaches and would nap just about anytime I could.

I've had one headache in 3 months, have shed nearly 3 stone and have so much more energy! My buzz is the gym and planning my food.
  • AryaSnow
    AryaSnow Posts: 26
    Options
    I went from no physical activity (working at home on the comp, almost no friends to hang out with) to running almost every day to doing Insanity, dancing, running etc. The difference of how I'm feeling and my mood is huge...
  • Tony_Brewski
    Tony_Brewski Posts: 1,376 Member
    Options
    I went from playing video games in all my spare time to hitting the gym for hours on end. I workout 2 to 4 hours a day 4-7 days a week.
  • Michielynn222
    Michielynn222 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I'm still pretty lazy haha, I kind of went from food junkie to health freak. Whenever I go out with friends, I'm that annoying person who says 'How can you eat that?!?!' LOL :)
    Just one of those bad habits from keeping my diet healthy, I want to share the knowledge :)
  • tequila09
    tequila09 Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    Yes I used to be really lazy, I discovered heavy lifting and fell in love. :love:

I love lifting but I also love sitting on my *kitten*. LOL
  • yaseyuku
    yaseyuku Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    Yes.

Before you couldn't have paid me to exercise. I hated it: before, after, during.

Now I exercise anywhere between 2-4 hours per day, not for weight loss but because I honestly enjoy it. I'm trying to take rest days since I know they help but can't help but want to exercise regardless.

You just have to find something you like.
  • tatd_820
    tatd_820 Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    Ummm......ME! I love anything fitness that makes me sweat and burn!
  • missbp
    missbp Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't say I am currently a fitness freak, but I work out almost daily these days.

I used to not be this way at all. The total opposite in fact. I like this me much better. I am happier and healthier in every way.

MB
  • YsanneIniss
    Options
    Yes. I used to be a total couch potato, hating sports and exercise with a passion, except for the occasional hike. Wanna know what changed? Four years ago, I bought a Czechoslovakian Wolfdog puppy. Since then, my whole personality changed drastically - it's as if I finally found the nerve and courage to become someone I've always wanted to be, but didn't know how. I've always liked dogs, but to this day, I don't really know why I chose to adopt one, of such an extremely difficult breed no less, at that time of my life. All I knew was that I was 19, first year in college, and depressed beyond anything I'd ever experienced. I just needed... something radical.
    Ysanne the wolfdog changed my life. I really got into dogs and training, researched everything so that I could care for my new best friend properly, and since many people have trouble raising members of this breed, I was determined not to fail and prove to myself and everyone else that I could do this. Czechoslovakian Wolfdogs need extreme amounts of exercise, and my activity levels soared. I got back into hiking and found a connection with nature I always knew was there, but had almost forgotten about. My hikes started getting longer and more frequent. Then I started feeding my dog raw meat and veggies, and had to learn plenty of stuff about proper nutrition for canines. That made me take a closer look at my own diet, but I ignored it at the time. Two years passed, and although I was still very overweight, I was also a lot more fit. Soon, one dog simply wasn't enough. Now I'm a proud owner of a working line sable German Shepherd as well. He is really hyperactive, and with two large, energetic dogs in the house, I started moving even more. Soon, I added swimming and biking to my lifestyle, all of it just to keep up with the dogs. I refused to be an irresponsible owner and wanted to give them both long, happy, healthy lives. To my horror, one day I realized I had actually started LIKING all the exercise.
    It was April 2013 when I truly understood my exercise level were more than above-average. I had a hard time believing this, as I always used to be the fattest, slowest person in every group I found myself in. But that was no longer true. It was as if a halo of understanding suddenly lit around my head - I realized I didn't NEED the excess weight anymore. The kind of person that used the weight as a shield grew up, and was now confident enough to do without. I sat my *kitten* down in front of my computer, and for the first time in my life actually had a look at how much I was supposed to be eating per day.
    Here I am, four months later. I've lost 12 kg, that's 25 pounds, and am still going strong. I took up running. I found a new job and will finally take the riding lessons I've always dreamed of. I actually have some muscles, despite still being overweight. The dogs are healthy and happy, and have trouble to keep up with me. They're 4 and 2 now, and I'm 23.
    You can do it. It's fun. You only live once - don't waste your chance.
  • Samstan101
    Samstan101 Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    I didn't get to 303lbs through being active ;-) I started walking and swimming at the end of March. I now train 5-6 times a week Tues-Fri 30-40mins cardio or weights (usually weights on a Wed, cardio the rest) before work. Cardio can be elliptical trainer, treadmill (doing C25K slowly as to not kill my knees - upto wk7 session 2) or occasionally swimming. Sun will be a full body weights session and then 20-30mins cardio. Mon is almost always a rest day (bar a gentle walk at lunchtime if the weather is dry). Saturday can either be a rest day or like today I went out on the bike for 40mins, or sometimes I'll go for a walk or kayaking.

I now find sitting still makes me feel twitchy and about the time I got to wk5 of C25K I realised that I actually enjoyed jogging! I now have a number of fitness goals alongside my future weight loss goals inc running a 5k, 10k, and ultimately a triathalon and a marathon (although they are probably at least a couple of years away).

I enjoy the way exercise makes me feel, both feeling fitter and even the ache of tired muscles plus the beneficial side effects - I'm so tired most of the time that my insomnia has has not reared its head more than once since I started eating better and exercising.
  • PepperWorm
    PepperWorm Posts: 1,206
    Options
    YEP! Right here.
  • luckyshilling
    Options
    Starting to get really annoyed when things come up that make me have to adjust a workout I was looking forward to. Like quick do a workout video at home when I had a hike planned.

Does that count?
  • aarar
    aarar Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't call myself a fitness freak but I'm currently training for a full marathon. 10 months ago I'd be out of breath and sweaty taking the garbage out from my office to the dumpster. I've always hated exercise and anything that involved hard physical work but I've always wanted to run. I started in January only able to do 20-30 seconds at a time, every week slowly increasing my mileage and here I am 2 weeks from race day. My longest run to date was last weekend at 37.2 km. Over the last few months I've discovered I love distance running which is why I switched to a full marathon from the original 10km I planned to do this summer.
  • Tstyles74
    Options
    You just gave me mad motivation!
  • NovemberJune
    NovemberJune Posts: 2,525 Member
    Options
    Until 2011, zero exercise. First half of 2011, regular exercise but it was just a chore i did for results. Since mid/late-2011, regular exercise and I love it! :D
  • Weebs628
    Weebs628 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    Yes! I started dancing about 4 years ago. Got my diet in check a year ago and have been adding in other exercises. I have to like my exercise though. That's the key for me. I workout 5-6 days a week. Come September, I'll be dancing 6x a week and lifting weights 3x a week. I'm addicted now.