Anyone Weigh in Every Day?

Options

Replies

• ArnDog1941
    Options
    I actually have started doing it in the morning. (first thing) I have found that it helps me keep an eye of my weight especially if i have had a "slip up" aka cheated on my diet the night before. I find it gives me the more determination to work that bit extra off. However everything works differently for each person. Also you need enough will power to not get put off if you see you go up by maybe 1 or 2 lbs simply because you didn't sleep well or drank lots of water over night etc.

I hope this helps and good luck .
  • secretgirl4611
    secretgirl4611 Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    I AGREE!!!! With everything she said! Yep, weighing in daily shows you rather its a consistent loss or gain in order to change something up and make the numbers keep going down.. Its better than weighing in on a specific day and then seeing weight gain on that day will make you feel bad >

I weigh everyday because otherwise you could end up being a lot more depressed in my opinion if your weigh in day happens to be on some horrible upwards fluctuation day. I don't stress if it bounces up as long as it doesn't stay up, and since I weigh everyday I can see whether it goes down the next day or not, and if it's still up several days later then I know that maybe I need to look at what I'm doing and make a change.
  • Ejourneys
    Ejourneys Posts: 1,603 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself daily but I take the long-term picture into account. I got into the habit of daily weighing in 2001-2002. During that weight loss I took a weekly average:
    8058380998_ed08a62411_b.jpg

The averages give a smoother decrease than either daily or weekly numbers because the fluctuations are evened out.

These days I log only a decrease in weight. Here's what that looks like:
    9438601206_5697c632db_z.jpg

The slope of my weight loss keeps getting shallower as I get closer to goal, meaning my rate of loss keeps getting slower. (This is natural and is to be expected.) I've just dropped another half pound since July 12, after a 28-day plateau. During plateaus my weight fluctuates up and back down, before it drops again. Sure I feel impatient from time to time, but I know I'm doing the right things and I'm cool with that. I'll get there when I get there.
  • rsalty
    rsalty Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Yes, but not for weight!

I take a dry weight (after waking up and using the bathroom, but before drinking anything) every morning to help manage my water balance. I know I usually vary about 3.5lbs over the course of the day, and that my scale, as precise as the electronic ones seem, is actually randomly off by about a half pound. So my "weight" can change by almost five pounds without it actually representing any real change.

The way I *use* the weight is pretty simple though. It's right there in the bathroom, so I just take my weight whenever later in the day, and if it's *lower* than the morning dry weight, I can be pretty certain that I should drink another pint of water.

Why? Because I wake up a pint or two short, and since a pint's a pound, I know that my "hydrated" weight is a couple of pounds over my morning dry weight, so even if I burn a half pound during the day, and the scale is off a half pound the other way on the next reading, any time I reach the morning dry weight is pretty likely to mean "need water".

For my weight change measurements, I use a trend line through the last weeks dry weights. That might just be a mathematician thing though.
  • perrinjoshua
    perrinjoshua Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    I weigh everyday. I even try to weight myself at the same time every day because regardless of whether I eat or not, it can affect my weight by a couple of pounds. I know this because I have weighed myself several times in a row to see if I'm right. Now I know that if I weigh myself at my regular time, my weight is real, IMO, and if I happen to weigh myself later than usual and it looks off, I ignore it and continue with my day as planned. I'm getting quite good at not getting depressed about the actual number because I know I have been following the plan so all will work out in the end. Do what feels right for you. It is your strategy.
  • CynthiaEvans
    CynthiaEvans Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I weigh everyday, by doing so it helps me to diet on a "daily" basis. That means that I refocus on what I need to do "that day", not tomorrow or when I feel like doing it. If I stick to my diet on a daily basis I am being consistent which means no yo yo dieting. A few times when the scale showed a gain instead of a loss it was usually due to water weight so I focus on eating low sodium and low carb to get rid of that water weight. I am starting to work out more so I know that I will gain muscle which weights more than fat so I will have to adjust my weight loss expectations for that as well.
  • jsjp
    jsjp Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    yes...and I keep gaining and losing the same 4 pounds. but on the good note, I lost 2 and 1/2 inches since last month. weighing everyday seems to keep me focused or something.
  • LiziAB
    LiziAB Posts: 55
    Options
    I do too, just to make sure I am on track and not gaining again. I used to ignore the scale and the pounds crept up.
  • jdm_taco
    jdm_taco Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    yep
  • thankyou4thevenom
    thankyou4thevenom Posts: 1,581 Member
    Options
    I am currently. It's been really interesting to watch my weight go up and down like a yo-yo.
  • malyndad
    malyndad Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I weigh every morning, then average the daily totals at the end of the week. It helps keep me on track but lessens the panic if you have a significant jump one day.
  • TheMMan
    TheMMan Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Since I have a background in quality control and Six Sigma, I weigh every day and plot it using control chart techniques. Periodically, I re-adjust the chart by eliminating the first several days that are out-of-control on the high end to bring everything back in control. This forces me to lose weight and "bring the process back out of control".

Nerdy? Yes, but it works for me.
  • melissa1217
    melissa1217 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I weigh in every morning. However, like most people have said, it can be very demotivating since one's weight can go up and down each morning (mostly water weight). I find that even if my weight does go up from one day to the next (even if i've stuck perfectly to my diet) it only motivates me more to eat healthy all day because I want the weight to go back down.
  • Jelly_Bean313
    Jelly_Bean313 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Hi All! So when I first started I weighed once a week, but then someone had made a good point that daily make the graph look cool. LOL! So, I started daily. At first I would get down on myself because depending on my water retention I would "gain"3 lbs in one day or lose 5. I've decided to go back to once a week. It would seem more accurate that way.
  • RunFarLiveHappy
    RunFarLiveHappy Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    If you use the "search" function here in the forums you'll see tons more responses to this question. (:

I weigh daily when I remember to.
  • aspalmer3
    aspalmer3 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I used to weigh every day but not anymore. I would get frustrated and would complain to my husband about it. He took my scale away for a month and told me there were more important things than that number on the scale and you know what? He was right. I weigh for sure once a week...I may climb on another day midweek if I'm feelin " fluffy " or something. There are so many factors that can affect your numbers daily -water and just building muscle - and getting caught up in a number when you see changes in your body whether the scale moves or not can get a little obsessive IMO. Of course I'm just a minion LOL. I just track it for sure once a week and roll with the punches the rest of the time.
  • Jelly_Bean313
    Jelly_Bean313 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    LOL! Sounds like my hubby, he threatened to take away my scale because I kept complaining to him and getting upset.
  • phyllisgehrke
    phyllisgehrke Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I weigh every morning before I drink any water.
    I get up and go to the bathroom and weigh.

I do not get stressed about it.
    I just want to know if I gained 1/2 pound, then I look at my Diary to see what occurred.
    Like maybe taking in too much sodium
  • catfive1
    catfive1 Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    I used to weigh my self before bed and first thing in the morning. Last weekend I put the scale away. Now I will weigh in on Friday mornings.

It was a great surprise that I had lost weight this week after a long plateau.
  • Lld320
    Lld320 Posts: 81
    Options
    I try to do it every other day at the same time in the morning before I eat or shower. I don't weigh myself on mornings after the day I have lifted weights because I always weigh more. Sometimes I do just out of habit though.
    Remember, if the numbers go down it's great positive reinforcement, if they go up it just means you gotta try harder! Don't give up either way.
This discussion has been closed.