Girls saying they have a 'type'

Options
I usually end up asking most women whom I come into regular contact what their 'type' is. I get a wide variety of answers, and get excited when they basically describe me from a physical stand point. Not even because i'm interested in them, but just the fact that I am a generally acceptable type. I am currently overweight as one could guess from my profile. The three serious relationships I have been in have been with girls who prefer overweight men, but they have all moved on to either fit or skinny men, and only went out with fit or skinny men before me. The same can be said about some of the girls I've been interested in but never pursued anything with formally. They claim to have a preference for certain body types, and then end up in relationships or even hooking up with the exact opposite of what they've described.

Are types generally arbitrary? I refuse to give credit to an entire gender and assume that women are less shallow from a physical stand point, because gender stereotypes of any kind are detrimental to the women's equality movement, and I know better than that.

I also can't speak for my entire gender as I think of myself as exceptional (Unusual; not typical), but I've never had a body type preference.

Anyways, I was wondering if anyone else noticed this in the gender they happen to be attracted to, or if you've generally gone out with the same 'type' of person over and over again.

I'm speaking from the stand point of physical attractiveness and not personality traits, but any sort of opinion or discussion is welcome.

Replies

• ChrissyC1985
    ChrissyC1985 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    I used to think I have a type, I usually date the bigger, rugby player type but am realising as I get older and come into contact with more people, that this is less set now. I have a lot of skinny male friends who are incredibly attractive that I would never have even looked twice at a few years ago, and are also the exact apposite of my other half.

people change, as do your tastes, I will always find the slightly larger man attractive I am sure but am surprised by the fairly recent appreciation for skinny men.
  • bubblygoldfish
    bubblygoldfish Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    ^This. I thought I had a type too when I was younger. But that is because I was pretty sheltered. I only knew the guys in my high school. Now that I'm a bit older, I have seen different types of people. I realized that I am more into the person themselves, and whether we have chemistry, rather than they fit a "type". :)
  • OhSnap779
    OhSnap779 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I know I do not have a type when it comes to body. I was married to a tall skinny somewhat muscular guy for 13 years and then just recently dated an even taller extremely over weight guy for two years, with a few different types in between them. Personality and chemistry are way more important than body type.
  • MercuryBlue
    MercuryBlue Posts: 886 Member
    Options
    I have two "types" that I've always been attracted to, and they couldn't be more different from one another. The first is the "nerdy & sweet" boy, and the second is the tattooed rebel type. I generally have been attracted to thin/average build guys, and have almost exclusively dated men with dark hair. I have a weak spot for dark, curly hair and blue eyes. I wound up marrying a reformed bad boy, someone who'd had a bit of a dark past and moved forward in his life. He's intelligent and sensitive, and sort of a perfect blend of my two "types".

That said, while I've stuck pretty closely to specific personality types when dating (back when I dated, that is), I was a lot more flexible as far as looks go. I might initially be attracted to the guy in the room with the dark curly hair, blue eyes and tattoos up his arms; however, if a really sweet blonde boy came up to me and showed kindness and a good personality, I wouldn't exactly write him off for not meeting my expectations. It was my experience that, when I dated the well-built, Ken-doll, model type of guys, I (more often than not) wouldn't have a lot in common with them, and I'd wind up bored out of my mind. The guys I wound up falling into serious relationships with were ones that I wasn't attracted to initially then, as I got to know them, they became more and more physically attractive in my eyes. Some of the guys I dated were probably thinner than I'd normally go for, some were a bit rounder... it varied. So I guess I could say that my "type" might influence who I'd approach initially, but it didn't really have an affect on whether or not I would stick around.
  • triciab79
    triciab79 Posts: 1,713 Member
    Options
    My type has always been smart. I really really really could care less what a guy looks like. If he is smart but manages to not make me feel stupid then I am all over him. Physically I tend to go for bigger guys but it is not actually an on purpose thing, they just happened to be the smart ones that liked me. Oh and a little geeky is good too. I like geeks :heart:
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    Never really gave it a second thought what type of man a women usually dates. Young ladies tell me, that I am not like any other guy they have ever met. Perhaps that is the "type" they want, I dunno....
  • vtmoon
    vtmoon Posts: 3,436 Member
    Options
    If you make a lot of money, you become a lot of girls 'type'.
  • RJ0524583
    Options
    My type has always been smart. I really really really could care less what a guy looks like. If he is smart but manages to not make me feel stupid then I am all over him. Physically I tend to go for bigger guys but it is not actually an on purpose thing, they just happened to be the smart ones that liked me. Oh and a little geeky is good too. I like geeks :heart:

Does your current boyfriend / husband fit this type?
  • cassondraragan
    cassondraragan Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I've never been attracted to slender guys. I like thicker/ muscular guys. But, I gotta say personality trumps all body types.if a guy is funny, I could never help crushing regardless of body type.
  • cassondraragan
    cassondraragan Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    My hubs is thicker/muscle-y. And he's pretty funny too :) I have always preferred black hair and blue eyes, but my husband has brown. Really that stuff doesn't matter if you find the right person.
  • MzManiak
    MzManiak Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    I know I don't have a type- physically at least. I've gone out with tall men, short men, husky men, thin men, fit men... whateva. They've all been funny, sarcastic, easy going and confident, though. That's a "type", right? :wink:
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    Thank God I'm rich enough to be every girls type.
  • TheCaren
    TheCaren Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    My "type" has changed over the years.

At 44 years old, my "type" has more to do with personality than appearance, because I'm at a place in life where I'm realizing that appearance is very temporary. A hot looking *kitten* now is going to be an old saggy *kitten* later. I'd rather have a decent looking guy of no particular "type" who is a good person and has personality characteristics I can see myself tolerating thirty years from now than just focusing on a look.

That's probably just old age talking though...
  • KisforKriss
    Options
    Right now i guess you could say i have a type, i like scruffy baby faced guys who are heavier. lol.. perhaps i will grow out of this one, but i always consider those types to be like.. the "teddy bear" types.
  • Dreaaa
    Dreaaa Posts: 319 Member
    Options

^^^ LMAO
  • Nikoruo
    Nikoruo Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    I'd say 'types' are a high school way of thinking about being attracted to people. Once people get old enough they pretty much could be attracted to anything if they let themself. When i think of a 'type' of person i'm attracted to (physically speaking) i would probably say "lean, not too big not to skinny. white because i've never been physically attracted to anyone of different skin color (can't help it), probably light eyes and light hair with an amazing smile. Not too furry but clean appearance."

essentially it's describing my dream guy in my head, but it's not strict to that type. I would, and have, dated people outseide of that because essentiually it's personality you want to look for. If ones personality is attractive, no matter how flawed they are to the 'type' you come up with in your head you can love them :) hope that helped a bit.
  • vtmoon
    vtmoon Posts: 3,436 Member
    Options

Pretty much!

Hell, if you are rich enough, you are my type too if you swing that way.
  • RJ0524583
    Options
    I used to think I have a type, I usually date the bigger, rugby player type but am realising as I get older and come into contact with more people, that this is less set now. I have a lot of skinny male friends who are incredibly attractive that I would never have even looked twice at a few years ago, and are also the exact apposite of my other half.

people change, as do your tastes, I will always find the slightly larger man attractive I am sure but am surprised by the fairly recent appreciation for skinny men.

Do you think that something's happened to you in the last 1-2 years had any effect on your change in taste, possibly an increase in self esteem? Something I've noticed is that my female friends who lose weight or are validated sexually tend to increase their 'standards', and being thin or fit tends to make a difference in a guy's value. Just a high thought...
  • triciab79
    triciab79 Posts: 1,713 Member
    Options

Does your current boyfriend / husband fit this type?

Yes he is very smart and geeky which is what drew me to him, and he happens to be a bigger guy.