Girls saying they have a 'type'

Options

Replies

• theoriginaljayne
    theoriginaljayne Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    If you make a lot of money, you become a lot of girls 'type'.

My goal in life is to seduce some single, childless, billionaire octogenarian and wind up inheriting his entire fortune.

omg hahaha I don't know how I feel about this

when you find him, call me when he dies we can run away together.

Deal.
  • RhonndaJ
    RhonndaJ Posts: 1,615 Member
    Options
    When it comes to dating/marriage, nope. Never had a type, unless you count intelligent, funny, and self confident. Physically speaking, I've dated tall, short, fit, not fit, skinny, fat, clean cut, scruffy, different racial backgrounds and ethnicities.

For some reason, I did expect to marry a brunette, and ended up marrying a blond.

Eyecandy, now, that's a whole other ball game.
  • Morninglory81
    Morninglory81 Posts: 1,190 Member
    Options
    My physical type is nothing more than fantasies dancing in my head. :blushing:

When I am looking for a relationship it is more about the intellectual connection and his confidence. I have dated tall, short, fat, skinny, fit, and buff. I have no real physical type.
  • theatregirl4416
    Options
    I have always been attracted to men with dark hair and at least some "scruff" in the facial hair department

YES! Another one just like me.

Unlike you though, I have yet to find my Mr Tall Dark and Scruffy. lol.
  • MattTheWaterRat
    MattTheWaterRat Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    They claim to have a preference for certain body types, and then end up in relationships or even hooking up with the exact opposite of what they've described.
    Consider that they might be lying to you.
  • ckmama
    ckmama Posts: 1,668 Member
    Options
    all of your teeth (well the appearence of teeth), a JOB, a good work ethic, not a pervert, no racists, or hate mongers.

Boy has my type changed since I've aged. It used to be tall, cute, and funny. :laugh:
  • RJ0524583
    Options
    I feel like some of you are reading each other's posts and posting the same thing worded differently just to be funny...

But anyways, yes. Personality tends to trump looks, but the majority of my female friends still tend to go out with someone who has both looks and personality as opposed to just a nice personality. You can try to 'have your cake and eat it too' whenever possible, right?

I can't but look from it as an anthropologic thing, nature vs. nurture. Which type is instinctively more attractive?
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,026 Member
    Options
    all of your teeth (well the appearence of teeth), a JOB, a good work ethic, not a pervert, no racists, or hate mongers.

Boy has my type changed since I've aged. It used to be tall, cute, and funny. :laugh:

rick4.jpg
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options
    I usually end up asking most women whom I come into regular contact what their 'type' is. I get a wide variety of answers, and get excited when they basically describe me from a physical stand point. Not even because i'm interested in them, but just the fact that I am a generally acceptable type. I am currently overweight as one could guess from my profile. The three serious relationships I have been in have been with girls who prefer overweight men, but they have all moved on to either fit or skinny men, and only went out with fit or skinny men before me. The same can be said about some of the girls I've been interested in but never pursued anything with formally. They claim to have a preference for certain body types, and then end up in relationships or even hooking up with the exact opposite of what they've described.

Are types generally arbitrary? I refuse to give credit to an entire gender and assume that women are less shallow from a physical stand point, because gender stereotypes of any kind are detrimental to the women's equality movement, and I know better than that.

I also can't speak for my entire gender as I think of myself as exceptional (Unusual; not typical), but I've never had a body type preference.

Anyways, I was wondering if anyone else noticed this in the gender they happen to be attracted to, or if you've generally gone out with the same 'type' of person over and over again.

I'm speaking from the stand point of physical attractiveness and not personality traits, but any sort of opinion or discussion is welcome.

I have a physical type. Tall, average build, not too much body hair. Everything else optional. But I've dated outside that type when the guy happened to have a really great personality.
  • RJ0524583
    Options
    They claim to have a preference for certain body types, and then end up in relationships or even hooking up with the exact opposite of what they've described.
    Consider that they might be lying to you.

The bitterness inside me makes me think this but I didn't want to rule out the other possibilities, or not give women a chance to defend themselves on this topic before prejudging them all in my head, haha.
  • Pixi_Rex
    Pixi_Rex Posts: 1,676 Member
    Options
    As long as they are breathing, conscious and have a pulse that is my type... seriously... well they have to have a personality and not be a douche but looks wise it varies.
  • lq022
    lq022 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    As long as they are breathing, conscious and have a pulse that is my type... seriously... well they have to have a personality and not be a douche but looks wise it varies.

hahaha having a pulse is a plus =) love the honesty!
  • smantha32
    Options

Sounds like you've been dealing with amateurs. Real pros like me do it like this

mtal5iR.gif

This made me laugh. I don't usually go for a guy because of money.. but where are these guys when I'm around? lol
  • smantha32
    Options
    If all men are created equal...why are women so picky.

Men are just as picky if not moreso.
  • MercuryBlue
    MercuryBlue Posts: 886 Member
    Options
    I feel like some of you are reading each other's posts and posting the same thing worded differently just to be funny...

But anyways, yes. Personality tends to trump looks, but the majority of my female friends still tend to go out with someone who has both looks and personality as opposed to just a nice personality. You can try to 'have your cake and eat it too' whenever possible, right?

I can't but look from it as an anthropologic thing, nature vs. nurture. Which type is instinctively more attractive?

Well, that depends. There's a difference between someone being objectively attractive, and finding someone attractive. I've dated a variety of conventionally hot, muscular, hubba-hubba type guys and thought, meh. Then I've fallen head over heels for men that weren't considered overly attractive (maybe sixes or sevens) by other people, but who I thought were sexy as all hell. I could never have dated someone I just thought had a good personality- there also had to be an attraction there. Sometimes the attraction was there from the beginning, sometimes it developed over time. Then there were guys I hung out with who had AMAZING personalities- but I was about as sexually attracted to them as a throw pillow. There are a lot of men and women out there who are not necessarily good looking, but who are attractive because of some unexplainable "x-factor". Confidence and good hygiene are a big part of that, too. I've known extremely average-looking people who were UNBELIEVABLY HOT because of factors such as the way they carried themselves. I've also known really physically attractive, nice people who I had zero attraction for because they had no self confidence. I had guy friends (some of whom were very good-looking and fit) who'd sit at a table during a party and cry into their beer because nobody wanted to date them. And, honestly, that was probably 99% of the reason why nobody wanted to date them.
  • Pixi_Rex
    Pixi_Rex Posts: 1,676 Member
    Options

hahaha having a pulse is a plus =) love the honesty!

It is true, a pulse is always helpful lol. I base who I date on a lot of things other than looks, when I was younger it was looks, now... not so much.
  • BrookieTrout626
    BrookieTrout626 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I think ultimately it comes down to chemistry. Your body picks up the other persons pheromones and if that person is fertile and would basically be a good mate based on health and fertility you will naturally be attracted to that person in some way or another most times. And certain things we don't even think about or know consciously play a part in if we decide we want to pursue a certain person or not. So people can have a certain type but ultimately when the right person comes along for you it wont matter what your type is because you body will have decided. My husband was not my type at all but after spending time near him I went from eww to hubba hubba and now we've been together for 10 years and have 2 kids. And the fire is still alive. And I'm not talking out of my butt about this either. I have read lots of research that has confirmed these findings.
  • RJ0524583
    Options

Well, that depends. There's a difference between someone being objectively attractive, and finding someone attractive. I've dated a variety of conventionally hot, muscular, hubba-hubba type guys and thought, meh. Then I've fallen head over heels for men that weren't considered overly attractive (maybe sixes or sevens) by other people, but who I thought were sexy as all hell. I could never have dated someone I just thought had a good personality- there also had to be an attraction there. Sometimes the attraction was there from the beginning, sometimes it developed over time. Then there were guys I hung out with who had AMAZING personalities- but I was about as sexually attracted to them as a throw pillow. There are a lot of men and women out there who are not necessarily good looking, but who are attractive because of some unexplainable "x-factor". Confidence and good hygiene are a big part of that, too. I've known extremely average-looking people who were UNBELIEVABLY HOT because of factors such as the way they carried themselves. I've also known really physically attractive, nice people who I had zero attraction for because they had no self confidence. I had guy friends (some of whom were very good-looking and fit) who'd sit at a table during a party and cry into their beer because nobody wanted to date them. And, honestly, that was probably 99% of the reason why nobody wanted to date them.

Is this 'confidence' you speak of possibly represent demonstration of value?

Some rock stars, for example, are sickly, old, pale, and otherwise not the model of physical attractiveness, but because they command a certain level of leverage and power in our world, their ability to get things for their creative ability makes them more attractive. So, that's what I sort of mean by demonstration of value.
  • vtmoon
    vtmoon Posts: 3,436 Member
    Options
    If you make a lot of money, you become a lot of girls 'type'.

That's not true. If a guy so much as hints at how much he makes, I become leery of dating him.... :yawn:

Sounds like you've been dealing with amateurs. Real pros like me do it like this

mtal5iR.gif

Now this is my idea of being showered with love.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    I personally am not attracted to any specific body type. Attractiveness matters. But, for me if I have a "type" it is based on the personality and intelligence (my husband has set that bar very high for me). As far as physicality goes, I like variety, so no specific type. I am happily married and very happy with my husband. I am physically attracted to him and was right from the start. It was his intelligence and personality that attracted me most and that I fell in love with. But, I guess in terms of physicality it tends to be more the face that I first notice I am attracted to.

I am aware that while my husband is also most interested in the person's personality and intelligence, that he does have a body type and look that he prefers. I have that body type that he likes. I was aware of that before we started dating (we were friends for 2 years before I dated him).

And no, as others have mentioned, money is never a factor. I'd rather be happy and poor, than rich and miserable. Both my husband and I were struggling college students. And I paid my own way on our dates.