Getting callouses from lifting

Options
I've been lifting for a couple of months and I'm getting callouses. Am I doing something wrong or is this normal? I have gloves but I have read on here somewhere that they can mess up your grip. Should I wear them?

Replies

• ChrisLindsay9
    ChrisLindsay9 Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    I am also getting callouses. It's normal. :(

I ditched the gloves over a month ago when I found out that I can't wear them during powerlifting events.

I have been advised to purchase a pumice stone so that I can "maintain" the callouses (so to speak), so I'll probably try to find one this weekend. I had a callous split on me a week or so ago and it was rather uncomfortable.

But yes, I have found that my grip strength has improved some since I've started lifting bare-handed (although I do use chalk for the heavy working sets in my deadlifts). It could be just normal improvement that comes with strength training though?

If the callouses become a problem, but you don't want to depend on gloves, maybe you can transition your hands slowly through a combination of lifting bare-handed for your main lifts (compound lifts) and then putting on gloves for more isolation work? The idea being that your hands will acclimatize themselves to the lifting, but not get too callous-laden? Heh.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    get gloves
  • Mr_Excitement
    Mr_Excitement Posts: 833 Member
    Options
    Yeah, wear your gloves if the callouses bother you. I'm kind of proud of mine, personally. :P
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    get gloves

Yes, this, so you can constantly forget them and decide that the callouses are kind of hot anyway.

Been lifting again for almost 2 years and I think I have worn my gloves 2-3 times.
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Fullsterkur_woman Posts: 2,712 Member
    Options
    Yep, calluses happen. It's awesome.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    I thought the same but the callouses were messing with my grip so I ended up getting gloves. Have to say it's been worth it.
  • BattleTaxi
    BattleTaxi Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    Same for me! The callouses mess up my grip bad, so I wear gloves that have a snug fit, no problems!
  • BandB1979
    BandB1979 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    This is a great article on how to deal and take care of them.

http://www.fitocracy.com/knowledge/how-to-deal-with-calluses-on-your-hands/
  • fatfudgery
    fatfudgery Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    Gloves don't prevent callouses and they mess up your grip... I've heard chalk helps. Also, try to grip the bar closer to your fingers when you deadlift:

SoeD9jJ.jpg
  • Skeebee
    Skeebee Posts: 740 Member
    Options
    ... I've heard chalk helps.

This...we ditched the gloves and do the chalk. Minimized it a lot for us.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Gloves do prevent calluses and don't mess up your grip. That's nonsense. And chalk will get you kicked out of most commercial gyms.

And neither calluses nor doms are required for me to know I'm a bad *kitten*. I just do the work
  • 0OneTwo3
    0OneTwo3 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    try the gloves and see how they feel. i personally don't like gloves.

also there a a few things you can do.

revisit your grip: 400px-Proper_Grip.jpg if you are doing it like in the second picture switch to a grip like in the first. a hook grip might help as well. as does chalk.

remove them:
    i do this if they get to bad. there are creams... and knives

learn to live with them:
    if they don't get so bad that they limit your hand movement than they are a purely aesthetic problem.
    And chalk will get you kicked out of most commercial gyms.

what? really? that sucks.
  • Ophidion
    Ophidion Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    I don't mind getting the callouses, just means when I b*tch slap someone their cheek is going to come away with my hand.
  • tequila09
    tequila09 Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    I wear gloves from femme fitale fitness they have really cute ones.
  • MercenaryNoetic26
    MercenaryNoetic26 Posts: 2,747 Member
    Options
    Lol! Cute post! I have mini- calluses. I always wore gloves, but you get them anyway. That's what happens when you work hard :wink: so I got my nails done to complement them.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    If your gym doesn't allow chalk you can use liquid-grip.

I still have some semi-permanent calluses though. I don't like the feeling of wearing gloves.
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    I personally don't mind the callouses. They never get terrible and they make me proud of the workouts I do.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,679 Member
    Options
    A dull razor blade takes care of callouses once a month. Flattens them back out and makes them smooth again.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    Yes it's normal :)

If you don't like them, the best option would be to wear gloves. I choose not to wear them because they do hinder your grip a bit. However, there are other options, chalk (regular or liquid) should reduce the amount of callouses you get a little, and help your grip too! :happy: Or, you could combat the problem by getting rid of / reducing the appearance of callouses when they appear through use of a good moisturiser, or as ninerbuff said a razor (or those ped-egg things to get rid of hard skin on people's feet?) should do the trick.

They appear for a reason though, not just to annoy people. They form to protect your skin when it's regularly handling rough things, going against hard surfaces etc You should also find that your hands hurt less when gripping the bar, than they did before. It's just something which you'll have to weigh up the pros and cons for I think.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    Gloves totally fark my grip up as their is just no grip until I get to the finger tips.

chalk for me and I use this callous grater thing. It has a handle and is like a cheese grater that is much more dull. Do it under the water and it takes about a minute. I do this weekly and keeps them all sorted.