I have no motivation to stop smokimg.

Options

Replies

• Bernadette60614
    Bernadette60614 Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    OP, I think you need to give yourself some credit.

My doc told me every cigarette you smoke takes 7 minutes off your life (don't ask me where this stat comes from..and please let's not have a war about this number.)

If you cut down by 5 cigs, you've gained 35 minutes of life.

I figure I've gained at least two years of life which I intend to spend posting on MFP....:tongue::smooched:
  • Determination29
    Options
    You will never quit until you really want to. Trust me on this one. I was a smoker for almost 10 years. Started young. Was selfish and smoked throught my pregnancy. My son came out 5 lbs with breathing problems. Today he is perfectly fine and no longer requires a breathing machine. I will regret that forever but I am so glad God made him a perfectly healthy 4 year old boy!!

I decided to stop smoking once he was born b/c I was terrified at what I have done. I have not picked up a cigarette in over 4 years and i don't even want one. The smell of them makes me cringe. There's no desire to have one. i wish I was able to quit sooner but like you, I had no motivation and no reason to quit.

Since I have stopped I'm not longer sick all of the time. I rarely get colds, I no longer cough and wheeze. i have more energy and my skin looks better! Don't get me wrong I turned to food and gained weight, but i'd take the weight that I can lose than my life that I can't get back if I die from lung cancer.

I have a friend who was diagnosed with long cancer. She quit smoking out of fear. then she started back up b/c she never wanted to quit in the first place. if you don't have it in you to quit it will be hard to stay smoke free. find a good reason down withing and stick to it. if you are going to quit do it. It will be hard at first but trust me, it's well worth it. good luck
  • conniemaxwell5
    conniemaxwell5 Posts: 943 Member
    Options
    Check out what you're doing to yourself:

http://www.healingtalks.com/health/pictures-of-smokers-and-non-smokers-lungs/

You're probably cutting your life short, meaning your family will grieve for you before they should have to. Your grandchildren will miss out on several years of your wit and wisdom. You are inviting heart disease and lung disease into your life. Lung cancer is a slow and painful death and your family has to watch while you waste away.

If you truly care about yourself and / or your family, you will stop. Make it your gift to them.

I know this was harsh but you asked for motivation. I can't think of better motivation than family, good health and long life. I lost weight for the same reasons. If I can control my eating habits, you can quit smoking.
  • FourIsCompany
    FourIsCompany Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    I need to stop completely or this isn't going to work.

Very true. I smoked for about 30 years. My reason for quitting? The wheezing in the night kept waking me up and I couldn't get a good night's sleep... Probably the stupidest reason in the world, but it was "the one" for me. I had plenty of reasons, but none that were compelling enough to send me to the right head space.

One thing that really helped me was to accept that it wasn't going to be easy. No matter what crutch I used, whether it be patches, gum, a drug, herbal cigarettes or just going cold turkey, it was going to be HARD. Maybe the hardest thing I'd ever done. I had to accept that firstly, so that when it got hard, I wouldn't give in.

Think about (write down) what you get from smoking. The advantages and the disadvantages. Then write the advantages and disadvantages of quitting... Then study that list. I'm a singer. And now, I can sing again. I can breathe deeply! It's really fantastic on this side. :)

If you want to, you'll find your strength. MILLIONS of people have done it. And you're just as good, worthy and strong as they are. So you CAN do it. It's just a matter of making the decision to use your inner strength, put on your big girl panties and make it happen.

Most people who successfully quit have tried MANY times. I did. So, no matter what, keep trying. One glorious day, you will do it. I quit August 19, 2001, approaching 12 years smoke free.

Good luck!
  • PAULO65
    PAULO65 Posts: 3
    Options
    I'm having the same problem now. I joined a 30-day stop smoking support group a few years ago and "quit" smoking during the 30 day session and for about 5 months taking the nicotine gums without the support group. After that i stopped taking the gum and threw away the box thinking I'm "ok". But low and behold I picked up about a week later. Since that time i continue to smoke. I should note that I did cardio and stretching by myself most of the time and occassionally joined group exercises weekly while smoking and not smoking. After doing the same routine I was stumbling along with exercising regularly and I could feel it. So now I decided just recently to get a personal trainer. I honestly told him that I'm continuing to smoke. He wast not judgmental. I want to be open and honest with my trainer with the hopes of overcoming my obstacles in getting, staying fit and be happy.
  • SunsetDncr
    SunsetDncr Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    You will never quit until YOU are ready. Here is my question. Do you want to quit when you want to or when you have to? When you have to it's usually too late. Keep that in mind. I quit almost 14 years ago and it was the best thing I've ever done for myself. MYSELF!!! Key word here. :) I'm so thankful not to be a slave to those things any longer. My husband is putting on a patch today. He had stopped with me but started again a year later. He's having progressively more issues due to smoking. I'm 52 and graduated from a RN nursing program in May.... pinned August 1. When we came home I said "I'm so glad you are still here to share it with me." That statement... the way I put it hit him like a bullet between the eyes. I'm ready to support him 100% no matter how cranky he gets with me.

I gained weight.... lost it. Gained weight through school. And have lost 12 pounds after going on Weight Watchers June 26th. That's small potatoes compared to the damage smoking does.

My advise to you? Take all that you read here....the videos are enough to scare anyone... I've seen it up close and personal in patients in acute care and long term care settings. It's an addiction. A very, very strong addiction. It will be without a doubt, the hardest... most rewarding thing you EVER do for YOURSELF! Good luck. I hope you find it within yourself to quit.
  • Lesa_Sass
    Lesa_Sass Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    Go to the dr have have a breathing function test done. That is what stopped me cold in my tracks. I actually was not planning to stop because I loved smoking so I got the ecig. One day after about 8 months on the ecig, I realized I had not touched it in weeks.

Good luck, I am coming upon 6 years sober and cigs were harder to wrap my mind around quitting than vodka, and let me tell ya, I loved me some vodka.
  • Ninabee150
    Ninabee150 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I just wish my only sister who is 12 years younger would quit smoking. She has been smoking for years and it is starting to take a toll on her health. I will just continue to pray for her.:ohwell: :brokenheart:
  • katieburdison
    katieburdison Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    i switched to electronic cigarettes. they dont stink and you still get the nicotine fix minus the 4000 carcinogens in traditional cigs. my smokers cough is gone and i can taste and smell EVERYTHING like never before. picked up the habit when i was 11 yrs old, im almost 23 and just quit two months ago. i havent had ONE cigarette since i got my electronic one. not even an urge to smoke one, they stink to me now. ive gotten my best friend my mom, and my mother in law to quit using them! look into them online, i like to use the eGo brand batteries. i hope this helps!
  • acogg
    acogg Posts: 1,871 Member
    Options
    I think my new strategy is to write down every partial cigarette that I smoke and then do a tally at the end of the day. Hopefully a pattern will emerge and the accountability factor will help me get down to zero. It worked for my exercise and food, so perhaps it will work for smoking. Thanks so much for all the great responses! I am overwhelmed with gratitude! :flowerforyou:
  • MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,676 Member
    Options
    I think my new strategy is to write down every partial cigarette that I smoke and then do a tally at the end of the day. Hopefully a pattern will emerge and the accountability factor will help me get down to zero. It worked for my exercise and food, so perhaps it will work for smoking. Thanks so much for all the great responses! I am overwhelmed with gratitude! :flowerforyou:
    No doubt you will get stronger and stronger!
  • MrGonzo05
    MrGonzo05 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Because gyms do not have smoking sections.
  • Scubanana7
    Scubanana7 Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    I am not or have never been a smoker. So "shut the heck up" you say. However, I did ignore the fact that I had diabetes for over 10 years...so I have suffered the same 'stupid' mentality of Russian Roulette.

First thing I did was read your profile. I am suggesting you go back and read what you typed. I believe everything you need to stop smoking is in YOUR OWN WORDS.

First
    Your Children and Grandchildren
    Second---Your AmAzINg weight loss journey--what a smart, disciplined, motivating story--THAT lady who wrote that story, followed those simple steps CAN DO ANYTHING.

THAT lady can certainly beat a stinky, expensive, LIFE altering, and actually DEADLY habit.
    THAT lady doesn't want her children changing her diapers with her grandchildren standing by in tears while she dies a slow horrible death hooked up to some alien-looking, scary-sounding breathing apparatus.
    THAT lady CAN DO !!!
  • xilka
    xilka Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    You won't ever have the motivation. You just have to decide to do it.
    Life will be SO much better. I promise.
    I smoked a pack a day for 20 years, and quit 19 months ago.
    There is not one single aspect of it I miss.
    It's a new life.

I did it with Allen Carr's book "The Easy Way"
    Millions have successfully quit with his method.
    And the best thing is that you can chain smoke while you're reading.
    By the time you get to the end, you won't ever want to smoke again.
  • PammyGift
    PammyGift Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    You yourself have to find the ultimate reason. I wanted a reduction. I spoke with a Dr, in Jan she said I needed to be smoke free for at least 4 weeks prior to surgery. She gave me a date, Apr 26th. So I started with changing my habits. Ex. I used to wake up first thing had a cig and a coke. I smoked right after I ate, I would get in car and light up. So at first I decided to not smoke in my car. After that got sort of easy ( about 2 weeks) When I'd wake up I prolonged when I would have my cig. I'd wait til after I was dressed and ready to go before I lit up. When I ate I made myself wait a half hour before I would smoke. After awhile all of your "habits" of smoking when you did something or right after slowly diminished. Then I limited myself cigs a day. I smoked a pack a day.

I started with 15, then 13,11,10,8,5,4,3,2,1 and then a few puffs here and there. Once the 4 week out date came I had "habits" broken. So then I say I went "cold turkey" I was of course a bit irritatable but probably no where what I would've been if I smoked a pack then stopped. My b/f said I wasn't too bad. I did try using the patch at first when I first starting cutting back at 5 cigs a day. Kinda helped....one day I realized my patch had fell off and was stinking to the inside of my shirt I figured since I didn't notice I didn't need it.
    So over all in all it took me 4 months to quit.
    You have to find your reason.
    I know now that I'm able to run and workout, I don't get that need for a deep breath once in awhile. I also know my cholesterol level dropped from 220 ish to 180. It's been a year and I've leveled out to 190 (losing weight will help, that's why I'm here)

slow and steady wins the race :)

If your on a weight loss get healthy website That would mean your trying to get healthy. So if your not going to put food in your mouth that's bad for you or processed why would you inhale something that will?

Hope this helps some
  • mandy0688
    mandy0688 Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    Hello, I am almost 25 years old and I quit smoking last year. If you asked me a few years ago to quit i would have no desire. Here were my reasons and then i will tell you how and what motivated me.
    first my fiance and I were just engaged and he doesn't smoke, never asked me to quit, this was MY choice. I thought about it for a long time but then I decided to do it. I was like I CAN DO THIS. I thought everytime I lit one up why was I doing this for, I mean there was no reason anymore, I was out of stressors in my life. Then I looked up pics of smokers lungs and healthy lungs and read stories of cancers. I needed to scare myself. I had a HUGE support system, people to call if i needed one so I called the quit now helpline you see on TV and they helped me set a quit date. First get rid of all your ashtrays lighters and stuff in your home and car. I never smoked at home so I cleaned my car out. Got rid of any cigs coupons or anything and I did the patches. The thing about the patches is they give you the nicotine you crave and you slowly drop down to a lower dose until your gone. It was so much EASIER than i thought if you have habits such as smoking a cig on the way to work listen to music and keep your hands busy. If you have a smoking area that you go to at break, go for a walk or go somewhere else. as the days go by it will be easy, hard and really easy.
    Since I quit, I have saved $150 month, which with the money we saved from getting a cheaper place, I am driving a brand new car. I have money to pay for it now. I breath easier and when i am around smokers I have no need. Every now and then I would crave one but remember cravings last a few minutes so if you find a activity with your hands then do it. My trick was when i was at work i would walk outside like i used to when i smoked just minus the smoking and made those keychains out of string. I cut the smoking not the activites with it.
    Good luck hope this helps. YOU CAN DO IT.
  • hovercar
    hovercar Posts: 15
    Options
    Why do you want to keep smoking?

I quit three years ago this month. What worked, for me, was Allen Carr's "EasyWay to Quit Smoking." I am absolutely serious. I've never met someone who has finished this book and continued smoking. It's not magic - it just tears down the lies that nicotine tells you. Addiction is not enjoyable, and no one EVER needs to keep smoking. Nicotine is not a vitamin. Everyone lives better without it, no exceptions.

If you love smoking, nothing's going to be able to convince you to give it up. But do you really love it? Do you love needing a cigarette even when you have bronchitis, or a headache, or stomach flu? Even when you have no money? Do you love the way you smell? Acid reflux? Sinus problems? High blood pressure? Do you love the way you feel if you're stuck in a situation (at work, with family) where you can't go have a smoke break and the anxiety builds and builds? Do you love cigarette butts and ashtrays? Think about it.
  • Cyclingbonnie
    Cyclingbonnie Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    I quit 8 years ago ... after being a 2 pack a day for (oh god I don't want to tell you how long) a long, long time! I was actually training to do a triathlon and knew there was no way I could do it and smoke. I could not do it cold turkey, I used the Commit Lozenges. My husband continued to smoke, but not in the house ... I cheated for a while ... I would grab one of his out of his car and go walk the dogs and smoke it in the woods. Then I said "what the hell! either I smoke or I don't!" and that was the end of it. My husband has now quit and we are both happy about our success. I'm 8 years free and he is 3 years free.
  • AglaeaC
    AglaeaC Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    I haven't read the replies so sorry about overlaps. Google something like lung smoker cancer. Should give nice, black dots on once crisp pink tissue; tar colours them black. Maybe Body Worlds have some samples too (plastination exhibition)?
  • redheaddee
    redheaddee Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    Do the money math.

$5.35/day * 365 days/year = $1952.75

You can take a trip to Europe for that.

You could rent a house on Edisto Beach for a week.

You could buy one of those stainless steel gorgeous refrigerators with that.

There are so many things you could do with that money. Stop spending it and start saving it so you can reward yourself for quitting.