High Cholesterol

Options

Replies

• Lazygal53
    Lazygal53 Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Also very interesting information on this subject here. http://www.healingnaturallybybee.com/articles/foods35.php
  • scottaworley
    scottaworley Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    Bump for evening crowd
  • spangler1972
    spangler1972 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    FWIW, I also had high cholesterol a few years ago. It had always been high, more on the borderline (totals in the 200-239 range). I know it would have been easy for me to say "Well, it's all genetic. Nothing I can do about it," and go on cholesterol medication. However, it's probably worth it to test that hypothesis before you declare it as fact. What works for me may not work for you, but I had some pretty good results. Here's the story:

My doctor had offered to put me on cholesterol medication, but I asked him to give me three months to see how much of it could be controlled with diet. He agreed, and so I started the experiment. I reviewed recommendations by people that are more qualified than me, and gave them a try.

The first part was exercise. Physical activity can raise HDL levels, and weight loss can lower LDL levels. (http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/public/heart/chol/wyntk.htmI) I was too cheap to join a gym at the time, so I started running. Every other day, and worked myself up to three miles.

The second part was dietary changes. Most of the recommendations are reductions in saturated fats, and largely having a diet with fruits, vegetables, whole grains and beans (http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/reduce-cholesterol/CL00012). I was pretty strict about following the dietary recommendations, because I wanted to see how effective both of these. That meant I cut out all my meats except seafood (good for omega3 fatty acids, and I used sparingly), used only monounsaturated fats (again, sparingly), and made a lot of vegetable dishes that followed the guidelines. I cook most of my food from scratch anyway, so it wasn't that rough. I made up a few recipes, and used some of the recipes from Dr. Mirkin's site (http://www.drmirkin.com/recipes/recipeListType.html), since they follow the dietary recommendations. So, while I was being strict about diet, I wasn't really suffering for something good to eat. 8)

When I met up with my doctor for the followup, the results surprised us both: I had dropped total cholesterol numbers by 90 points (in the 130's)! I don't recall my LDL/HDL, other than it was in good balance. No medication needed. The experiment showed how much of a factor diet an exercise played in my cholesterol.

Obviously, I'm not a doctor so take the above for what it is: just my story. And the result of your own personal experiment might show that it really is genetics causing your high numbers. If you need medication, you should take it. However, your doctor might be willing to entertain the same experiment, so you could see how much control your lifestyle has on your health. Good luck.
  • scottaworley
    Options
    FWIW, I also had high cholesterol a few years ago. It had always been high, more on the borderline (totals in the 200-239 range). I know it would have been easy for me to say "Well, it's all genetic. Nothing I can do about it," and go on cholesterol medication. However, it's probably worth it to test that hypothesis before you declare it as fact. What works for me may not work for you, but I had some pretty good results. Here's the story:

My doctor had offered to put me on cholesterol medication, but I asked him to give me three months to see how much of it could be controlled with diet. He agreed, and so I started the experiment. I reviewed recommendations by people that are more qualified than me, and gave them a try.

The first part was exercise. Physical activity can raise HDL levels, and weight loss can lower LDL levels. (http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/public/heart/chol/wyntk.htmI) I was too cheap to join a gym at the time, so I started running. Every other day, and worked myself up to three miles.

The second part was dietary changes. Most of the recommendations are reductions in saturated fats, and largely having a diet with fruits, vegetables, whole grains and beans (http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/reduce-cholesterol/CL00012). I was pretty strict about following the dietary recommendations, because I wanted to see how effective both of these. That meant I cut out all my meats except seafood (good for omega3 fatty acids, and I used sparingly), used only monounsaturated fats (again, sparingly), and made a lot of vegetable dishes that followed the guidelines. I cook most of my food from scratch anyway, so it wasn't that rough. I made up a few recipes, and used some of the recipes from Dr. Mirkin's site (http://www.drmirkin.com/recipes/recipeListType.html), since they follow the dietary recommendations. So, while I was being strict about diet, I wasn't really suffering for something good to eat. 8)

When I met up with my doctor for the followup, the results surprised us both: I had dropped total cholesterol numbers by 90 points (in the 130's)! I don't recall my LDL/HDL, other than it was in good balance. No medication needed. The experiment showed how much of a factor diet an exercise played in my cholesterol.

Obviously, I'm not a doctor so take the above for what it is: just my story. And the result of your own personal experiment might show that it really is genetics causing your high numbers. If you need medication, you should take it. However, your doctor might be willing to entertain the same experiment, so you could see how much control your lifestyle has on your health. Good luck.

Thanks! I'm trying to set up an appointment with a dietician. I'm hoping she can give me some good ideas on foods that I can enjoy that will also control my cholesterol. The biggest bummer of this whole thing is that I have been eating mostly healthily and working out several times per week. (I did have pizza last night and this morning as a last hoorah :))
  • es0torok
    es0torok Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I'm confused. I got my results back this week.
    My Cholesterol is 274,
    Trig is 103,
    Direct HDL = 72;
    Direct LDL=154;
    LDL/HDL Ratio=2.1;
    non HDL Lipid = 202.0;
    and total Cholesterol / HDL ratio = 3.8.

The number I am focusing on is the 274, right?
  • scottaworley
    Options
    I'm confused. I got my results back this week.
    My Cholesterol is 274,
    Trig is 103,
    Direct HDL = 72;
    Direct LDL=154;
    LDL/HDL Ratio=2.1;
    non HDL Lipid = 202.0;
    and total Cholesterol / HDL ratio = 3.8.

The number I am focusing on is the 274, right?

From what I've gathered you should pay little attention to the total number (274) and focus more on the LDL/HDL ratio. There are people whose total cholesterol is in the 1000s with little signs of arterial damage.
  • Chokis
    Chokis Posts: 131
    Options
    You need to look at the ratio of HDL and LDL and your triglycerides.

Cut down on sugars and high-carb foods (starchy foods), increase your fiber intake, eat more healthy fats (coconut oil, fish, avocado, nuts, etc).
    And exercise.
  • map928
    map928 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Going though this also, only thing Dr. told was to cut out } salt, sugar, carbs and fat. I feel very depressed most days. ;(
  • scottaworley
    Options
    Going though this also, only thing Dr. told was to cut out } salt, sugar, carbs and fat. I feel very depressed most days. ;(

So you can eat...... Gluten meal?
  • ewrob
    ewrob Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Rather than taking medications of questionable merit, has anyone considered eliminating dietary sources of cholesterol (Read: animal products) from their diets? It is effective for lowering LDL cholesterol:

http://health.usnews.com/health-news/diet-fitness/heart/articles/2011/08/23/a-plant-based-diet-to-cut-bad-cholesterol

Also, to the poster with high cholesterol whose doctor advised that eating 2 eggs a day is ok, how is that ok? You've already exceeded your RDA for cholesterol even if you eat no other animal products in the entire day.
  • go2grrl
    go2grrl Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    My husband has moderately high cholesterol (around 250), but has found that supplementing with a red yeast rice/CoQ10 combo lowers that number anywhere from 30 to 50 points. We regularly eat eggs and other animal products, but shoot for a minimum of 35 grams of fiber a day and keep sugar to a minimum.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,020 Member
    Options
    Rather than taking medications of questionable merit, has anyone considered eliminating dietary sources of cholesterol (Read: animal products) from their diets? It is effective for lowering LDL cholesterol:

http://health.usnews.com/health-news/diet-fitness/heart/articles/2011/08/23/a-plant-based-diet-to-cut-bad-cholesterol

Also, to the poster with high cholesterol whose doctor advised that eating 2 eggs a day is ok, how is that ok? You've already exceeded your RDA for cholesterol even if you eat no other animal products in the entire day.
    I live in a Country that doesn't restrict dietary cholesterol, maybe if you did some research and find out why that might be, you'd be closer to giving out more accurate advice as opposed to a group that does your thinking for you. Also to add, there's no such thing as bad cholesterol, cholesterol is just cholesterol regardless of the source.
  • ewrob
    Options
    I live in a Country that doesn't restrict dietary cholesterol, maybe if you did some research and find out why that might be, you'd be closer to giving out more accurate advice as opposed to a group that does your thinking for you. Also to add, there's no such thing as bad cholesterol, cholesterol is just cholesterol regardless of the source.

I've lost over 90 pounds in 5 months by following a plant-based diet.

What have you done?

I have put a fair bit of research into my dietary choices, the results cannot be argued with. What diet do you follow? Why? Where are the sources for your claims? What would you suggest to someone suffering from high cholesterol? Do you really think expensive and ineffective medical treatments are the answer? Or is there a dietary intervention available?

Heart disease and diabetes are rare in nations that eat diets that are low in animal products. They are at the top of the list of killers in Western societies today, particularly in the United States.
  • scottaworley
    Options

What have you done?

I have put a fair bit of research into my dietary choices, the results cannot be argued with. What diet do you follow? Why? Where are the sources for your claims? What would you suggest to someone suffering from high cholesterol? Do you really think expensive and ineffective medical treatments are the answer? Or is there a dietary intervention available?

Heart disease and diabetes are rare in nations that eat diets that are low in animal products. They are at the top of the list of killers in Western societies today, particularly in the United States.

You're using correlation to imply causation. Could it be that while restricting your dietary cholesterol and following a plant based diet you increased your fiber intake (highly likely)? Could it be that this is what has reduced your blood cholesterol? Could it be that by incorporating more fiber into your diet your cholesterol could be lowered even while eating animal products?
  • gatsby018
    gatsby018 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Bumping to show my dad
  • ewrob
    Options
    You're using correlation to imply causation. Could it be that while restricting your dietary cholesterol and following a plant based diet you increased your fiber intake (highly likely)? Could it be that this is what has reduced your blood cholesterol? Could it be that by incorporating more fiber into your diet your cholesterol could be lowered even while eating animal products?

I never made a claim that I have lowered my cholesterol, because I don't know, I never had that measured. I posted a link to an article about a study that drew correlation between a plant-based diet and lowered cholesterol. So I wasn't even using my own personal experience to support the article.

You are correct to say that my fiber intake has increased. It has probably more than doubled. My dietary cholesterol intake has dropped to zero and my saturated fat intake has also dropped a great deal.

Perhaps increasing fiber intake alone would have some benefits, but as AJ_G pointed out, dietary cholesterol intake represents a relatively small amount of blood cholesterol levels. For someone that is having health issues related to high cholesterol, a small change would likely yield small results.

Heart disease and diabetes cause more than half of the deaths in this country. Both of these causes of death are avoidable with a healthy diet. Even people with "normal" cholesterol levels are at huge risk for a heart attack. Nearly 75% of heart attack patients have "normal" cholesterol levels.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=30gEiweaAVQ&feature=youtu.be&t=3m0s

The fact is, we massively over-consume animal products and it is taking a huge toll on our health and our environment. Most objections that I have seen to a plant-based diet are founded in a food addiction to meat and dairy products. Is your food worth dying over?
  • scottaworley
    Options

I never made a claim that I have lowered my cholesterol, because I don't know, I never had that measured. I posted a link to an article about a study that drew correlation between a plant-based diet and lowered cholesterol. So I wasn't even using my own personal experience to support the article.

You are correct to say that my fiber intake has increased. It has probably more than doubled. My dietary cholesterol intake has dropped to zero and my saturated fat intake has also dropped a great deal.

Perhaps increasing fiber intake alone would have some benefits, but as AJ_G pointed out, dietary cholesterol intake represents a relatively small amount of blood cholesterol levels. For someone that is having health issues related to high cholesterol, a small change would likely yield small results.

Heart disease and diabetes cause more than half of the deaths in this country. Both of these causes of death are avoidable with a healthy diet. Even people with "normal" cholesterol levels are at huge risk for a heart attack. Nearly 75% of heart attack patients have "normal" cholesterol levels.

The fact is, we massively over-consume animal products and it is taking a huge toll on our health and our environment. Most objections that I have seen to a plant-based diet are founded in a food addiction to meat and dairy products. Is your food worth dying over?

Lol gtfo or get your cholesterol tested on a meat based diet as a baseline and then a plant based diet. I'll say it again. Correlation is not causation and should not be seen as such. Period. A plant based or meat free diet is okay for some people. I get it, I used to be vegan for ethical reasons. Some people just don't like food. I happen to like food and enjoy meat. Does it make sense for me to restrict my meat intake completely because it might give me some extra years? If this is what it comes down to I choose meat. Sure, restricting my dietary cholesterol could contribute to a small decrease in blood cholesterol, but there are other ways to do that that have been discussed in this thread. I'm not about jump to an extreme for a small change to my bad, but not that bad, cholesterol before I try other things.
    Bring me hard science supporting the elimination of meat and I might consider it.
  • fleetzz
    fleetzz Posts: 962 Member
    Options
    Because dietary cholesterol contributes little to blood cholesterol.

My cholesterol when last checked was 162. I eat a ton of eggs.

• scottaworley
    Options

What have you done?

Also you're losing way too much weight way too quickly dude.
  • Doodlewhopper
    Doodlewhopper Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options

Nonsensical statement.

Some of your arguments certainly have merit, but the lame rhetoric & exaggeration undermines your credibility. You focus on animal products and ignore the effect of drugs, alcohol, sugar and the lack of exercise.

Statistics show the greatest influence on cholesterol & early mortality is genetics influenced by obesity, diet & environment.( ie sedentary lifestyle, stress, fatigue)

BTW I saw a Tee Shirt with the message: "For every animal you dont eat, Im gonna eat three!" LOL