been MFP for over a year- no loss- open to suggestions

Options

Replies

• beachlover317
    beachlover317 Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options

This. And as much as people want your diary open - close it and then be brutally honest with yourself. Every day - every meal - every snack - every spoon of whatever that you eat - weigh it and log it.

+2

Close it, open it, lie, or don't lie, but the only person you cheat is yourself. Get serious and brutally honest with yourself.

I read this the other day: Your body keeps an accurate record of your food and exercise, regardless of what you write down.
  • darkguardian419
    darkguardian419 Posts: 1,302 Member
    Options
    weigh your food, stop being fat.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options

This. And as much as people want your diary open - close it and then be brutally honest with yourself. Every day - every meal - every snack - every spoon of whatever that you eat - weigh it and log it.

+2

Close it, open it, lie, or don't lie, but the only person you cheat is yourself. Get serious and brutally honest with yourself.

Another vote for this.

Sodium will cause water retention, but it will not inhibit fat loss.

I concur. It has to be honest. Open AND honest = accountability. Its easier to lie to yourself than to your diary and even harder to anyone you think might read it. I find an open diary to be seldom humiliating but ALWAYS motivating.
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options

^^^ This
  • marciebrian
    marciebrian Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    I'm no expert, but I think the first thing most people are going to say is open your diary so they can make suggestions.

Exactly! Its not possible to log accurately, exercise and be at a calorie deficit for a year (when there are no health issues) and not lose. You are either eating more than you think (i.e. not weighing correctly) or overestimating exercise calories, etc. Good luck but you really should re-evaluate your plan.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    May I ask how old you are, and how much you're trying to lose? (I'm assuming you're female, and not super tall, but it's hard to gauge where you'd like to be.)
  • Suekirko
    Options
    I was I same position. I was under my allowance everyday Then realized I was actually eating to little and my body had gone into starvation mode get as close to to your allowable calories each day and the results will surprise you
  • MamaDuckN2MamaWow
    MamaDuckN2MamaWow Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I agree with pretty much everyone else - there are 2 things that must be happening...

1. You're underestimating the portion size and consuming more calories than you think
    2. You're actually not eating enough and your body is in storage mode.

I would weigh and measure out all of your portions and see if that helps first. If after two weeks, you still see no difference, I would try adding 100-200 calories to see if that is the problem. I know how frustrating it can be to think you are doing good, and have nothing to show for it on the scale. (That makes me think, now that I've said that....have you lost any inches?? You know, muscle weighs more than fat.)
  • C00lCountry
    Options
    You maybe like my wife.
    She had to increase her calories to lose weight.
    I know it may sound crazy but I seen it work for myself.

Have you yo yo dieted before?
    I read a research about a lady that did the starving thing to lose weight effected her ability to lose weight proper way.
    Just things to check on.
  • MamaDuckN2MamaWow
    MamaDuckN2MamaWow Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I read this the other day: Your body keeps an accurate record of your food and exercise, regardless of what you write down.
    [/quote]

I love this quote...I will have to steal this and keep as a reminder!!
  • fitmusiclifeviola
    Options
    One thing I noticed in a quick look at your exercise diary is that you overestimate calorie burn due to walking. Walking for an hour will not burn 500 calories. I might start with cutting that in half. In general, I'd lean away from logging such exercise with calories much at all. On first glance, seems that just because the log says you should be losing, you have likely not been accurate with the logging. I hate to add to the chorus of folks saying it's a logging error, but I imagine you need a push to take a hard look at the accuracy of your logging. Be honest, specific, measure exactly. If that doesn't work, then we can look at what exactly you're eating too. Feel free to friend, I'd love to see how you're doing over time.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    I'd cut out the simple sugars. Your fluctuating blood sugar levels are likely interfering with "it's just math" algorithm for losing! I could be eating 1200 cals every day and actually gain weight if the calories aren't well spaced and well-used. Simple sugars kill any chance of me losing weight regardless of total count for the day. I do eat fruit (fructose sugar) but when I need to cut for losing I do my best to avoid junk sugar. It makes a world of difference.

Good thing fruits only have fructose and no other kind of sugar in them.

To the OP, as others have already said, weigh your food and track accurately
  • crandos
    crandos Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Alot of broscientists are coming out of the woodwork in this thread.
  • rbbrrmqn
    rbbrrmqn Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Lots of other info here ahead of mine, but I will add this :
    1 lb. = 3500 cals, so to lose 2 lb/week,
    you should eat 500 fewer cals per day than you are now - 7 days/wk X 500cals/day = 3500
    AND burn 500 cals per day -7 X 500= 3500

OR just do half of each of those 2 above if you can't say, burn 500 cals a day, make it 250/day. Good luck!!
  • MyChocolateDiet
    Options

I think they may feel invited in by the original post looking far and wide for answers.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    Options

I love this quote...I will have to steal this and keep as a reminder!!
    [/quote]

put it on your wall, here you go

keep-a-journal.jpg
  • minijuggernaut
    minijuggernaut Posts: 98 Member
    Options

Yeah, there's no point in even trying to correct any of it.
  • GeneralKail
    Options
    1-Eat more veggies.
    2-Be totally honest and log EVERYTHING! Its depressing when you do sometimes but that in itself is a good medicine.
    3-Be sure to drink plenty of water. The more you workout, the more water you sweat out. Drink, drink, drink!
    4-Be aware of a possible plateau. If you do the same workout day in and day out your body will adjust in about 30 days and the net benefits of that exercise decrease over time, regardless of what the machine readout says.
    5-Step up the intensity. If you feel "comfortable" in your exercise it's time to push it up a notch!

Keep trucking and you'll work it out!
  • sukiwabi
    sukiwabi Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    meh, i looked at your food diary. i could come up with some suggestions (like eat less sodium and calorie dense, but ...)

BUT...

sorry, but imo you're not exercising. your exercise diary is full of walking 2-3 mph/dog walk for like, 20 mins. if you consider that exercise, then i would bet you are sedentary otherwise. which means that logging a paltry few mins of slow walking ain't gonna get you anywhere.

get it moving! lift up heavy stuff and put it down! break a sweat! get your heartrate up over 140 and keep it there, etc etc.
  • Froody2
    Froody2 Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    What helped my husband is to quit eating at night. I know it sounds ridiculous but it's just when his metabolism slows to a crawl. Also, do you know what blts are? (Bites, licks, tastes) if you have kids, huge huge problem! Gotta drink that water, I've been told that dead fat cells are actually urinated out! So it serves two purposes when you're trying to lose weight chemical changes require water. I'm a horrible logger, I give you props for being much better than I am!

Did I just read what I thought I read?