Skipping Breakfast !

Options
I have read a recent study/press release suggesting that skipping breakfast it not necessarily a bad way to loose some weight!

Previously I thought it was 'the most important meal of the day', but this press release sais it may not be such a bad idea - a few days a week.

Here is the article FYI:

http://www.news.cornell.edu/stories/2013/07/skipping-breakfast-may-be-healthy-way-shed-weight

I am going to try it for 3 days a week for a while.

Any thoughts?

Replies

• Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    This is not new, it's just that the broscience brigade who still believe in fitness myths won't let it go.

As long as you are in a calorie deficit, it does not matter when you eat your calories. I, for one, hardly ever eat my "breakfast" when I wake up.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Eat when you want. Timing makes absolutely no difference.
  • RBrigzy
    RBrigzy Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Ah OK, was news to me though, with previous warning of heart affecting consequences for men.
  • BEEUK
    BEEUK Posts: 113
    Options
    If I skipped breakfast I would feel sick and have trouble stringing a thought together! My tummy wants food within an hour of being awake.

Skipping any meal isn’t ideal, you leave yourself the risk of overeating later as you’re starved.
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    Skipping any meal isn’t ideal, you leave yourself the risk of overeating later as you’re starved.

Not true. At all.
  • BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    I'm hungry. I'm going to make some breakfast now.
  • ssm_1972
    ssm_1972 Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    On every issue, you can argue and you will find numbers of support from the net but in my opinion one should not skip the meal especially Breakfast - not at all. I was a big skipper of meals, rarely ate breakfast and now paying for it, as per doc :(
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    If I skipped breakfast I would feel sick and have trouble stringing a thought together! My tummy wants food within an hour of being awake.

Why would I be starved after skipping one meal? It would take several days for me to be starved, and several weeks to actually starve to death. One meal means nothing in context, calories and protein held constant.
  • RBrigzy
    Options

Not true. At all.

The article suggests this has an effect and I will consume more calories in other meals, but not as much a s the calories lost by the fasting.

It's 11:37 am here - I have had no breakfast - I functioning ok (I think!) - bit looking forward to lunch in hour though!
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    If you're hungry when you wake up, eat. If not, then don't.
  • RBrigzy
    Options
    On every issue, you can argue and you will find numbers of support from the net but in my opinion one should not skip the meal especially Breakfast - not at all. I was a big skipper of meals, rarely ate breakfast and now paying for it, as per doc :(

That sounds like valuable experience - pleas can I ask if your doc relates problems to skipping breakfast - or other main meals.
    Hope you make full recovery.
  • Gianna44
    Gianna44 Posts: 124
    Options
    I think that as long as you are not hungry it is fine. If you are hungry - then eat. This whole bit about having to eat breakfast to "get your metabolism going" or for "energy to get going" (or to avoid overeating later, as the article discusses) seems crazy. What happened to listening to our bodies and eating when hungry and not necessarily by schedule? (Of course, there's the bit about knowing what to eat and when to stop and determining true hunger, etc, which is why many of us are here in the first place!)

Go for it!
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    Meal Frequency has no bearing on Weightloss, it comes down to a personal preference and what you can adhere too.... Best of Luck
  • FHowA46
    FHowA46 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Although there is evidence for both sides they do say that people who do eat breakfast are more likely to be slimmer and healthier, I think it just depends on the person and what works for you. I personally have found that I like to take that time out in the day for myself and it's a good way to start off eating a proper meal and stops me from choosing something less healthy later.
  • RBrigzy
    Options
    Of course, there's the bit about knowing what to eat and when to stop and determining true hunger, etc, which is why many of us are here in the first place!

Go for it!

Thanks

I am thinking I have got too used to not being hungry, and building up an appetite may lead to me enjoying the meal more than I would have normally - win win?.
  • Anonymouse7704
    Options
    I think it was just a rule because people who skipped it would pick on sugary things in the morning if they were hungry and end up consuming more calories then they would by just having breakfast. If it works for you, go for it!
    I know my dad could never do that, if he doesn't have breakfast he can barely function, but I know I can get on fine without, it varies person to person, good luck :)
  • BEEUK
    BEEUK Posts: 113
    Options

Why would I be starved after skipping one meal? It would take several days for me to be starved, and several weeks to actually starve to death. One meal means nothing in context, calories and protein held constant.

It's fairly obvious i didn't mean in the LITERAL sense. :huh:
  • RBrigzy
    Options
    One serious thought - maybe by being hungry I will enjoy a low calorie meal allot more?
  • Gianna44
    Gianna44 Posts: 124
    Options
    Same thing happens when I try to follow a 3 meal/2 snack plan - I eat when I'm not necessarily truly hungry and don't enjoy it as much. (And I would really like to enjoy my food while trying to lose :)
  • icimani
    icimani Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options

Ok - you're taking the word "starved" to the extreme. One meal may not make a difference in the daily context, but for a lot of people (most likely the vast majority) a skipped meal means that they're more hungry the next time they do meet, and then tend to go for the calorie dense foods. When I skip breakfast I don't having trouble stringing a sentence together, but I definitely make poorer decisions and go for the carbs, refined sugars and the more calorie-dense foods.