Girls saying they have a 'type'

Options
1235»

Replies

• linsey0689
    linsey0689 Posts: 753 Member
    Options
    I really don't have a type down to a tee. As far as looks good I like anyone from fit to some overweight is fine with me. As long as you carry yourself well I am okay with that. But I really would prefer fit or in shape over skinny/bones-sticking-out. Also being over-weight myself I like someone that will make me feel comfortable about myself as I am going to my journey. My body does have extra skin in places that I don't want the whole world to see. So someone that looks is highly important to them really wouldn't be a good fit for me.

You are just going to get all opinion here but are you overweight but still looking for a skinny size 0/2 girlfriend? If so that might not be the best fit for you. Don't focus just on that. Most guys say I am only attracted on skinny girls but really what I think you may need to look past that. When I see guys that are XL or larger say they only find model type women good looking that is just crazy to me. When you 50 years old everyone isn't going to look that good so your friendship will keep you together and not there hot bods.
  • christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,063 Member
    Options
    There is a type I prefer but it isn't end all.
  • jen_zz
    jen_zz Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    I have a type, but I think it has more to do with a strong presence than a physical appearance. I find assertiveness extremely sexy.

This! Confident but not cocky. Love smart and humble guys.
  • jen_zz
    jen_zz Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    I feel like some of you are reading each other's posts and posting the same thing worded differently just to be funny...

But anyways, yes. Personality tends to trump looks, but the majority of my female friends still tend to go out with someone who has both looks and personality as opposed to just a nice personality. You can try to 'have your cake and eat it too' whenever possible, right?

I can't but look from it as an anthropologic thing, nature vs. nurture. Which type is instinctively more attractive?

Anthropologically speaking, a woman would want a strong fit man to protect her, a powerful and smart man to increase access to vital resources. Or, she'd marry the "good guy" to nurture her offspring after cuckolding him and sleeping with the guy with the better genes. Whichever strategy works for her.

Or she might go for the guy with the most resources, and the richest one will have the nicest harem. Cave men went for "healthy" looks, cave women went for the guy with the most stuff.

Just like today!

Probably some truth in this.. say for animals, the males probably just want to breed and have offsprings, so they only look for looks and physical appearance of the female. As for the females, they would want a male that would have the "resources" to protect the whole family.
  • bushidowoman
    bushidowoman Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    At one time, I did have preferences, physically and personality-wise. But I liked going out, and I liked having fun, so I dated pretty much any guy who was fun and nice.
    The man I married was not my "type". But I fell deeply in love with him anyway. My "type" or preference or whatever is now...him.
  • grrrlface
    grrrlface Posts: 1,204 Member
    Options
    I've only dated guys with dark hair and mostly all, apart from one, are musicians. Hahaha.
  • RJ0524583
    Options
    I've only dated guys with dark hair and mostly all, apart from one, are musicians. Hahaha.

Musicians tend to appeal to the mother inside most girls, haha
  • pdj1220
    pdj1220 Posts: 175
    Options
    I guess it always comes down to people saying guys are more superficial and "type" conscious than women. I think that is a load of cr**!

So, over the past several months I have started paying attention to how many "Men are *kitten*" comments I see on facebook. I have always been told that the two most important things women are looking for are confidence and a sense of humor.

I decided to do a little experiment and created two different profiles on a dating site. I kept everything as equal as I could to reach the same demographic.

The first one, I was honest, and in my mind charming, funny and forthright. I used a picture from several years ago when I was 325 pounds.

In the second, I was an a**hat, arrogant, a little rude and in general the type of guy I've been told women don't like. for this one I used a picture where I weigh 215 pounds.

After almost exactly one week, the results are in. A**hat Pat received 41 comments, nice Pat received 4. It seems that for every superficial man, there may just be a superficial woman out there for him.
  • HLSalter
    HLSalter Posts: 260
    Options
    I'm literally only posting here to say that OP looks exactly like Nelson Franklin. That is all :)
  • CubanSammich
    Options
    I prefer the type that cooks and cleans. If not, then I'd rather be single na'imsayin?
  • kevinjb1
    kevinjb1 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I feel like some of you are reading each other's posts and posting the same thing worded differently just to be funny...

But anyways, yes. Personality tends to trump looks, but the majority of my female friends still tend to go out with someone who has both looks and personality as opposed to just a nice personality. You can try to 'have your cake and eat it too' whenever possible, right?

I can't but look from it as an anthropologic thing, nature vs. nurture. Which type is instinctively more attractive?

Well, that depends. There's a difference between someone being objectively attractive, and finding someone attractive. I've dated a variety of conventionally hot, muscular, hubba-hubba type guys and thought, meh. Then I've fallen head over heels for men that weren't considered overly attractive (maybe sixes or sevens) by other people, but who I thought were sexy as all hell. I could never have dated someone I just thought had a good personality- there also had to be an attraction there. Sometimes the attraction was there from the beginning, sometimes it developed over time. Then there were guys I hung out with who had AMAZING personalities- but I was about as sexually attracted to them as a throw pillow. There are a lot of men and women out there who are not necessarily good looking, but who are attractive because of some unexplainable "x-factor". Confidence and good hygiene are a big part of that, too. I've known extremely average-looking people who were UNBELIEVABLY HOT because of factors such as the way they carried themselves. I've also known really physically attractive, nice people who I had zero attraction for because they had no self confidence. I had guy friends (some of whom were very good-looking and fit) who'd sit at a table during a party and cry into their beer because nobody wanted to date them. And, honestly, that was probably 99% of the reason why nobody wanted to date them.

Is this 'confidence' you speak of possibly represent demonstration of value?

Some rock stars, for example, are sickly, old, pale, and otherwise not the model of physical attractiveness, but because they command a certain level of leverage and power in our world, their ability to get things for their creative ability makes them more attractive. So, that's what I sort of mean by demonstration of value.

No. What I'm talking about has absolutely nothing to do with "demonstration of value". It has nothing to do with "worth", or money, or access to resources, or power, or leverage. In fact, most of the people I know (including myself)- excluding people of a very specific personality type- are put off by peacocky displays of wealth. I've almost always made more money than the guys I was dating; I make more money than my husband does now, because I'm educated and work hard. I don't need a sugar daddy.

The confidence has everything to do with knowing that they are attractive (whether or not that knowledge is based on reality), strong, intelligent, capable, worthy of affection. A person with this type of confidence walks into a room thinking, "I'm going to talk to these people because I'm their equal"; they make eye contact and smile. They don't putter around with their eyes on the floor, pissing and moaning that nobody is paying attention to them. I absolutely, 100%, cannot be bothered to start a relationship (personal or romantic) with someone who needs that sort of constant boosting. It's exhausting to have to tell someone, constantly, that they are attractive/worthy/deserving of affection/interesting/whatever. I will only bother talking to people who have something to say that doesn't involve a constant pity party.

I find that, when people are having a hard time meeting/holding the attention of/landing a partner, they're often looking to find some excuse, something that's wrong with the other person, to rationalize why it's happening. It's easy to be, like, "Nobody wants to date me! It must be because I'm overweight or don't have money, or power. And women, bleh, they're shallow. They like thin men. They like power. They like money. There is something wrong with everyone else because I am not receiving the attention that I feel is owed to me." When, really, it's the sense of entitlement that's probably what people are finding off-putting. People like being around people who are fun, intelligent, who can hold a conversation. Nobody wants to be in a relationship with an emotional black hole.

Acting in a way that makes you 'worthy of affection' is another good way to demonstrate worth. Fake it til you make it, as they always say. I understand the principles behind that, but always feel bad executing it because it's always a form of lying. Men pretend to be this way, it's possibly why we have an 8 times higher suicide rate, or keel over from a heart attack at 55, and it's almost impossible to tell the difference between the really good fakers and the truly insane that believe they have life all 'figured out', lol.

Ah, what am I saying...

I didn't say anything about acting in a way that makes you "worthy of affection"; read again. I said people with confidence know that they are worthy of affection. They don't have to demonstrate it to anyone else- but it comes out through their actions. All human beings are worthy of affection; however, it's not up to everyone around them to convince them of this fact through regular reinforcement. If a full-grown adult person doesn't believe they're worthy of affection, then they've got emotional baggage that I'm not willing to touch with a thirty foot pole. It's their issue, not mine.

I love the honesty here. Well said.
  • fannyfrost
    fannyfrost Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    I think in some way everyone has a "type". Not in that they aren't open to different options, but I think that everyone can say there are just certain looks that they don't find attractive.

I prefer tall, skinny guys. My husband is 6' tall and when we met he weighed 138 lbs. Skinny yes, although lean is more the word. Although I have gone with lots of different looks. I definitely prefer certain features. I don't like bulky muscles for instance. My girlfriends love bald guys, but me not so much (of course hubby is going bald and I think on him it is cute, but that is what love does).

In the end we are attracted to those we are attracted to, but so much goes into it than just looks. Looks only get you as far, it is the whole package that has to work.