Strength Training suggestions for Pear Shaped female

Options
124»

Replies

• Erica_theRedhead
    Erica_theRedhead Posts: 724 Member
    Options
    I am a pear shaped gal and I carry ALL of my weight in hips, thighs, and butt. I have accepted the fact that I will always be shaped that way, but I am looking for ways to really tighten everything up. No matter what I do, this area never seems to change.

I work out a ton already, but I was told to increase the amount of strength training. I was hoping someone could take a look at my current routine and see where I might need to change.

Weighted hip thrusts ...

http://bretcontreras.com/a-strong-booty-is-a-healthy-booty/

I've been doing them for about a month, and I'm already up to 130 pounds, 3 sets of 15 reps. That is heavier than my squats and deadlifts. And I'm seeing changes in my pear shaped body.

Try it.

Yes, these are one of my favorite movements! I also do the traditional squats, deads, OHP, bench. Weighted lunges and step ups are also good.

One thing that you have to realize is that if your body is shaped like a pear, it's always going to be that shape. All these thread of ppl saying weights make them bigger are mistaken. LIfting heavy will help strengthen your muscles and tighten everything up, which will look amazing when the fat is burned off. I always thought that I was cursed with a big *kitten*, now I feel like I'm blessed with a baddonk.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    I am a pear shaped gal and I carry ALL of my weight in hips, thighs, and butt. I have accepted the fact that I will always be shaped that way, but I am looking for ways to really tighten everything up. No matter what I do, this area never seems to change.

I work out a ton already, but I was told to increase the amount of strength training. I was hoping someone could take a look at my current routine and see where I might need to change.

Weighted hip thrusts ...

http://bretcontreras.com/a-strong-booty-is-a-healthy-booty/

I've been doing them for about a month, and I'm already up to 130 pounds, 3 sets of 15 reps. That is heavier than my squats and deadlifts. And I'm seeing changes in my pear shaped body.

Try it.

That link...

...wow.

Chicka-chicka-bow-wow...
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    If you want to modify your proportions to make your upper body and your lower body balance each other out more you're going to want to focus heavily on adding mass to the chest, lats, and shoulders. This means eventually going through a bulk cycle after you reach a low bodyfat percentage.

I want to stress that until you reach the point where you have a low (like reasonably athletic) percentage of bodyfat this should not be a concern and until then just train like anyone else would. Lose fat, gain functional fitness.
  • juliegin
    juliegin Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I'm a pear just starting out on Strong Lifts. Good to know it works. I am excited to see results!
  • jlapey
    jlapey Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    Stronglifts 5x5 or Starting Strength.

The body pump maxes out with 30 pounds of weights plus a barbell that weighs maybe 2 pounds. With that program you're more likely to get a cardio and endurance program, but not one that will help you reach your goals.

I'm a former pear shape that is now an hourglass. Heavy lifting made my hips and thighs smaller and tighter, and my shoulders and back more sculpted.

I'm not saying give up Les Mills Pump, but just saying that you are better off doing it once or twice a week as a supplement to a heavy, progressive-loading strength program. You'll probably get optimal results if you keep it but do it less.

QFT.

SECONDED!!!
  • iperceive2
    iperceive2 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Squats lunges jumping jacks
    rows and wood chucks
    Im pear shaped and this has helped me firm and tighten
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Fullsterkur_woman Posts: 2,712 Member
    Options
    When I was down to 137, I think my measurements were something like 34 26 39. Unless I get down to a really low body fat level, I'm always going to have big ol' Liberty Bell hips, and if I do, I won't have no boobies! I have a strength performance goal, not a body comp goal at this point, so if I can hoist up the fullsterkur stone and still have a 12 foot danger booty, so be it. I betcha, though, that the added strength will have bulked up my upper body to the point where it looks balanced. I'm otay with that. I wasn't brought into this world to see just how small I could get without vanishing! :laugh:
  • Chelkb
    Chelkb Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I guess I'll always be a pear...Due to a multilevel cervical spinal surgery, I will never be able to lift more than 20-30 lbs again. Does anyone have suggestions for a person that can't lift heavy?
  • megan020103
    Options
    I spent my whole time at the gym on Sunday in the weight room. I haven't been this sore in awhile, so I know it is working! I broke my collar bone in gymnastics many years ago and I don't think I will be able to lift as heavy as I would like though. It was a ton of pressure on my shoulder, which never healed properly.

I also worked my upper body to help balance. I am 5'2, 126lbs and my measurements are 32 26 36 - down an inch in my waist and hips just this week.

Thank you very much to everyone who responded. I am looking forward to making this a big part of my routine.
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Fullsterkur_woman Posts: 2,712 Member
    Options
    I guess I'll always be a pear...Due to a multilevel cervical spinal surgery, I will never be able to lift more than 20-30 lbs again. Does anyone have suggestions for a person that can't lift heavy?
    Get a physical therapist that can help you find ways to preserve muscle mass and make the most of your exercise?