1/2 marathon - long runs - exhaustion?

Options
I am currently training for my first half marathon. I'm using the beginner Hal-Higdon plan, even though I am not a novice runner or new to fitness. I just figured since it was my first Half this is the way I'd approach it. I am not following it to a "T". Some weeks I get both short runs in and some weeks I don't. I always do my long run.

Yesterday, I did 8 miles. I felt great the whole time. I didn't run too fast {for me}. I had a protein shake afterwards, plenty of water, ate all of my calories.

My questions is - Is is normal to be a useless slug for the rest of the day after a long run? After my 7 miler, I was tired, but yesterday was brutal. I went to bed at 8pm.

Just wondering how everyone feels after their long runs?

Tips?

Thanks

Replies

• CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    Yes. Normal. As you become more fit, the 8 mile runs won't tax you, but the 18 mile runs will. :)
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Yes. Normal. As you become more fit, the 8 mile runs won't tax you, but the 18 mile runs will. :)

^^ This......

I had to have a nap after my triathlon a couple of weeks ago! :happy:
  • LastMinuteMama
    LastMinuteMama Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    Great! So, I need an hour or so to run and then an hour to nap! :wink:

It's good to know that it's normal & should be expected~
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    Perfectly normal, I used to have to make sure I had some food ready in the fridge to shove down my gob the second I got in as I wouldn't have energy to stand long enough to cook! This and an afternoon nap are your new best friends.
  • redlion45
    redlion45 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Good for you! I am also training for a half marathon in December as, a warm up to a Disney full in January. I am using Jeff Galloway's program, which is pretty similar to Hal Higdon's, I think. I am not new to running, but I am new to the distances involved in this kind of event. After the long runs I am a tired puppy and need a nap. I think that is pretty normal. We are up to twelve now, so by the time you get used to the mileage you did 2 weeks ago, you are already stretching longer.

So, as long as you aren't too sore to walk and you aren't totally wiped out for the whole day, you are probably doing OK. You might find you need to eat something more before a long run. I can get away with little or nothing to eat for a 4 miler, but for longer distances, if I don't eat before, I feel crappy the rest of the day after the run. :frown: Good luck! :laugh: :laugh:
  • LastMinuteMama
    Options
    Perfectly normal, I used to have to make sure I had some food ready in the fridge to shove down my gob the second I got in as I wouldn't have energy to stand long enough to cook! This and an afternoon nap are your new best friends.

Haha! Yes, I went straight for a protein shake - quick, easy and COLD!
  • LastMinuteMama
    Options
    Good for you! I am also training for a half marathon in December as, a warm up to a Disney full in January. I am using Jeff Galloway's program, which is pretty similar to Hal Higdon's, I think. I am not new to running, but I am new to the distances involved in this kind of event. After the long runs I am a tired puppy and need a nap. I think that is pretty normal. We are up to twelve now, so by the time you get used to the mileage you did 2 weeks ago, you are already stretching longer.

So, as long as you aren't too sore to walk and you aren't totally wiped out for the whole day, you are probably doing OK. You might find you need to eat something more before a long run. I can get away with little or nothing to eat for a 4 miler, but for longer distances, if I don't eat before, I feel crappy the rest of the day after the run. :frown: Good luck! :laugh: :laugh:

I didn't know you were training for a Half & full also...what else is there after Tough Mudder!?!
    My husband said the same thing about eating more. I like to run on an empty stomach and thought I was being good by having a banana & granola bar before this run. I guess I might need more than that. Or maybe load up the night before?

The toughest part of this training is the time comitment for sure! We'll be away this weekend and I haven't even figured when I'm gonna run!
  • EdTheGinge
    EdTheGinge Posts: 1,616 Member
    Options

I also agree with this, I did a 12miler yesterday and apart from the usual aches from working the legs hard everything else was fine. It all comes with time.

I'm training for my first marathon in October and yeah I'm sure I'll be very lethargic after that.
  • LastMinuteMama
    Options
    Good luck with your first marathon! I'm guessing more than a nap will be required after 26.2 : )
  • BrianSharpe
    Options

I missed this the first time 'round......I'd tend to focus more on carbs for glycogen replenishment than a protein shake after a long run.
  • LastMinuteMama
    Options
    edited to repost with quote
  • LastMinuteMama
    Options

I missed this the first time 'round......I'd tend to focus more on carbs for glycogen replenishment than a protein shake after a long run.

I've always heard "Carbs before - Protein after" but I will certainly look into this. Thanks!
  • BrianSharpe
    Options
    I've always heard "Carbs before - Protein after" but I will certainly look into this. Thanks!

Here are a couple of articles that may help....

http://running.about.com/od/nutritionandhydration/f/postruneating.htm

http://www.runnersworld.com/race-training/long-run-recovery-done-right

http://theathletesplate.com/long-run-nutrition-recovery/
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    l do both - something like a tuna sandwich or instant noodles with cold chicken. But then I get savoury cravings after running and don't fancy sweets.

By the way, do you fuel on the run? You might want to look into energy drinks or gels (I like SIS, they're isotonic so you don't need a gallon of water with them) when you're out for more than an hour. That might keep you fuelled so you don't have a big energy dip and refuel.
  • LastMinuteMama
    Options

Here are a couple of articles that may help....

http://running.about.com/od/nutritionandhydration/f/postruneating.htm

http://www.runnersworld.com/race-training/long-run-recovery-done-right

http://theathletesplate.com/long-run-nutrition-recovery/

Thank you!
  • LastMinuteMama
    Options
    l do both - something like a tuna sandwich or instant noodles with cold chicken. But then I get savoury cravings after running and don't fancy sweets.

By the way, do you fuel on the run? You might want to look into energy drinks or gels (I like SIS, they're isotonic so you don't need a gallon of water with them) when you're out for more than an hour. That might keep you fuelled so you don't have a big energy dip and refuel.

I do fuel on over 6 miles, ironically, I did not bring them on this 8 miler - maybe that was the problem! Maybe they're more helpful than I gave them credit for?

As far as going for protein, I feel like I need to get it in somewhere! I can't eat lots of protein before hand, it seems to make me dizzy. I will add in carbs for the recovery - I'm sure a good balance is always good :)
  • pucenavel
    pucenavel Posts: 972 Member
    Options
    Pre-Fuel
    Quick Fuel
    Recovery

That's how I do it.

If I'm going to be burning off 1500 calories or more on Saturday morning, I've already consumed an extra 1000 calories on Thursday and Friday to compensate.

I use Gels, honey, etc. during the workout to fuel about 1/3 of what I'm burning.

Protien, electrolytes, and fresh vegetables afterwards to replace losses and encourage muscle repair.

Unless it's race day, then the after is PANCAKES!!!
  • LastMinuteMama
    Options
    After reading the articles that Brian posted, I realized that I didn't do was poorly as I thought with my "protein" recovery drink. Although, it was a protein shake, I made it with 2 cups of chocolate milk ----> all three articles said that chocolate milk is a good recovery drink :drinker:

Lots of other good ideas in those articles too! A fruit smoothie with milk or yogurt is good too. I like to drink something cold instead of eat something afterwards, so those will have to do.
  • wowzimmer
    Options
    Try Low-fat chocolate milk - A popular choice with marathoners, several studies have lent weight to the goodness of drinking chocolate milk after intensive exercise.

Dr John Ivy from The University of Texas at Austin led two such studies in 2011. He found that chocolate milk led to twice the improvement in maximal oxygen uptake compared to standard sports drinks. Other benefits include better improvements in muscle growth and greater fat loss.

See more top marathon recovery tips with this slideshow:
    http://rhedeg.co.uk/training/instant-expert-post-race-recovery/
  • St_Paul
    St_Paul Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Sounds normal to me. Keep recovery in mind and soon you'll get used to it. I agree though you never get used to the 18 or 20 milers!