given up bread?

Options

Replies

• PhoenixEve
    PhoenixEve Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    No wheat bread for me, i'm hypothyroid. (immune response to wheat/gluten attacks thyroid)

I do enjoy gluten-free bread though, it's yummy. :)
  • scottaworley
    scottaworley Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    No one encouraged me to lose 8lbs in one week. It just happened when I gave up bread and started walking.

It happened because you ate 21000 calories less than you should have in a week. Under the guidance of a dietician this should not have happened.

Unfair comment. Lots of people lost a lot of weight in the first week. It is called water weight.

Sorry, no one's losing 8 pounds of water weight.
  • PhoenixEve
    PhoenixEve Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    No one encouraged me to lose 8lbs in one week. It just happened when I gave up bread and started walking.

It happened because you ate 21000 calories less than you should have in a week. Under the guidance of a dietician this should not have happened.

Unfair comment. Lots of people lost a lot of weight in the first week. It is called water weight.

They can if that water weight was caused by inflammation. Inflammation = swelling = major water weight. Gluten allergy/intolerance causes inflammation. Ever watch someone with celiac puff up before your eyes after eating gluten? It's crazy. My friend who has severe celiac and hashimoto's hypothyroidism swells up a few clothing sizes if she consumes any gluten.

Want to know how much water weight someone can have from inflammation? I went from 154lbs right after my ectopic surgery to 142 lbs a couple days later. That's 12 lbs water weight loss in only a few days. It really can happen.
  • Thanhthn
    Options
    I think what your dietitian meant to say is that whole grains are better than the enriched white flour products. Whole grains are complex carbs that contain all parts of the grain kernel, while enriched white breads are simple carbs that have been refined so that the fiber-dense bran and nutrient-rich germ is processed out. Due to their complexity, fiber and protein from the whole grains take longer to digest and will keep you going longer than the energy you get from the enriched/refined grains. Complex carbs also don't raise sugar levels in the blood as quickly as simple carbs.

Personally, I've cut out flour products and stick to ezekiel breadk, brown rice and oatmeal and have since then felt less bloated, less sluggish, and no additional carb loading cravings I used to get when I ate white bread.
  • babyluthi
    babyluthi Posts: 285 Member
    Options

That would depend how overweight they are and how much water they are carrying and why it was there in the first place:)
  • linalovekitty
    Options
    Scottaworley:
    I don't care for your antagonistic replies. I respectfully stated an opinion and you are obviously out for a rude exchange. Pick someone else. I come here for support and respectful exchanges. And am not a huge believer of the "calories in/calories out" theory.
    Don't try to explain to me. I do my own research. You do you and I'll do me.

Good luck to you.

agreed. I also think what works for men in weight loss in entirely different than what works for women given our body compositions/hormones are so so different. My husband eats 3500 cals /day of meat & fat & veggies and lost 80lbs giving up grains and processed foods & not counting cals- he probably eats more now than ever & went from 250-185 and holding. And if it were as simple as calories in/out Id be 100lbs and a size 00 bc I havent eaten over 1800 cals/day in 8 months & the scale barely moves. As Ive changed WHAT I eat, I see more change than with how much I eat. It really has been trial and error for me.
  • linalovekitty
    Options
    I think what your dietitian meant to say is that whole grains are better than the enriched white flour products. Whole grains are complex carbs that contain all parts of the grain kernel, while enriched white breads are simple carbs that have been refined so that the fiber-dense bran and nutrient-rich germ is processed out. Due to their complexity, fiber and protein from the whole grains take longer to digest and will keep you going longer than the energy you get from the enriched/refined grains. Complex carbs also don't raise sugar levels in the blood as quickly as simple carbs.

Personally, I've cut out flour products and stick to ezekiel breadk, brown rice and oatmeal and have since then felt less bloated, less sluggish, and no additional carb loading cravings I used to get when I ate white bread.

thanks for the info, did you see a difference on the scale from giving up flour. I have been going 24hrs and I actually do feel better & less bloated as well.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    he probably eats more now than ever & went from 250-185 and holding.

No, calorie wise he eats less.
  • nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options
    Scottaworley:
    I don't care for your antagonistic replies. I respectfully stated an opinion and you are obviously out for a rude exchange. Pick someone else. I come here for support and respectful exchanges. And am not a huge believer of the "calories in/calories out" theory.

Good luck to you.

agreed. I also think what works for men in weight loss in entirely different than what works for women given our body compositions/hormones are so so different. My husband eats 3500 cals /day of meat & fat & veggies and lost 80lbs giving up grains and processed foods & not counting cals- he probably eats more now than ever & went from 250-185 and holding. And if it were as simple as calories in/out Id be 100lbs and a size 00 bc I havent eaten over 1800 cals/day in 8 months & the scale barely moves. As Ive changed WHAT I eat, I see more change than with how much I eat. It really has been trial and error for me.

It really is as simple as calories in and calories out. Many times people eat more than they think they do and overestimate how many calories they burn in a day. As far as your hubby, he may eat more food, but he is consuming less calories than before if he is losing weight.
  • mrmagee3
    mrmagee3 Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    he probably eats more now than ever & went from 250-185 and holding.

No, calorie wise he eats less.

If we accept that differing hormonal states in our body can cause us to utilize calories in different ways, either more efficiently or less efficiently, it logically follows that eating in a way that can cause a specific hormonal response could create the situation where more calories would equal more weight loss.

An easy example of this would be the people that eat 1200 kcal/day and don't lose weight, but then go to 1500kcal/day and start dropping.

If we look at the CICO hypothesis as a math equation:

(Calories Ingested) - (BMR + Calories Expended) = Net calorie differential

We focus a lot on Calories Ingested and Calories Expended, but BMR is a variable in the formula as well. I'm not sure there's a ton of good science out there to describe the metabolic processes and hormonal body states that impact BMR one way or the other, but observationally, I think we can make the assumption that it is variable.
  • jeanywren
    jeanywren Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Scottaworley:

Good luck to you.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options

Both whole grains and refined flour are complex carbs. All starches are complex carbs. Sugars and any other single or double molecule carbohydrate are simple carbs (glucose, fructose, sucrose, galactose, maltose. etc). All starches (including all flour) has strings of more than 2 carbohydrate molecules and are by definition complex carbs.
  • mrmagee3
    mrmagee3 Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    If you don't have diabetes, you don't need a diabetes diet.
    If you don't have celiac disease (or other wheat problem) you don't need an anti-wheat diet.
    If you're not sensitive to salt or have high blood pressure, you don't need to limit sodium.
    If you don't have a specific medical reason, you don't need to limit dietary cholesterol.
    Nobody needs a dietitian that gets their info from the book "wheat belly" rather than nutrition textbooks and research.

I hate professionals that treat people for diseases they don't have.

I think it's probably poor form to question their professionalism based upon hearing their recommendations second hand.

As for statements 1-4, I think that they're probably correct (especially 2-3-4), with the caveat that we're not completely settled on the causes of T2DM, so it's kind of a crap shoot as to what actually causes it. In any case, for an otherwise healthy individual, you're likely correct with all of your recommendations.

But here's the rub -- if you're seeing a dietician, you're likely to be obese. Having obesity, in my eyes, makes you a not-healthy individual (and, of course, differing schools of thought on this). Obesity correlates strongly to almost all disease states. So, as a dietician, your primary goal should be to address the primary concern -- how to get this person to lose weight.

Ideally, this is where a good professional will have a protracted conversation with the person, design a plan that fits them, and follow up with them occasionally to see how it's going. This is the part of the conversation that we've missed out on -- if a person tells their dietician, "eating bread doesn't fill me up at all, and also causes me to crave x, y, z," then limiting or removing bread from your dietary recommendation to that person would seem like a justifiable strategy in the treatment of the primary concern (obesity).

Is it the only method? No. I compare dieticians to swing coaches in golf. You go to one to work on your swing. They teach you to the best of their knowledge. If you're progressing and doing well, maybe you stick with that one. If you're not making the progress you want, you're free to drop that coach and find another one. One coach might be best for mid irons, one for driving, one for putting, etc. It makes sense to shop around and develop a relationship with one.
  • jeanywren
    jeanywren Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I don't believe bread turns to fat, more likely sugar in the body. However, my giving up gluten (not every little speck), has helped me to control my carbs and my Dr. is very pleased with the results. I am down in weight but not by magic from lack of bread. I eat more fruit and veggies to replace the carbs I was eating before. I don't eat the stuff that I used to put on bread such as butter , peanut butter, cheese etc. Also no cakes and goodies tempt me anymore. It would not hurt anyone to try for a while, but many don't understand the reasoning behind this. What ever floats your boat!!! No need to get nasty.
  • Flab2fitfi
    Flab2fitfi Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    I'm a coeliac and have been for over 20 years so I don't eat bread.

However in the last 10 years I managed to get 100lbs overweight. Yes cut out bread if you have a medical reason but I dont think it is the 'holy grail' for weight loss for most people.
  • aelizh
    aelizh Posts: 2
    Options
    Your dietician is really smart. She has clearly been reading the latest research. Notice she is not telling you to give up gluten - just wheat. There is an excellent book called Wheat Belly that explains why. Go with your gut! If you feel GOOD and HEALTHY when you give up wheat your body is trying to tell you something!
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    Your dietician is really smart. She has clearly been reading the latest research. Notice she is not telling you to give up gluten - just wheat. There is an excellent book called Wheat Belly that explains why. Go with your gut! If you feel GOOD and HEALTHY when you give up wheat your body is trying to tell you something!

Lol, true. 'Cause smart dietitians get their latest research from agenda-driven diet books like "Wheat Belly".
  • scottaworley
    scottaworley Posts: 871 Member
    Options

I can't tell if this is a troll..
  • aelizh
    aelizh Posts: 2
    Options
    Such cruelty. Is it hard to say "I disagree"? Have you lost 45 lbs following these principles? Because I have.

In fact, I am doing ATKINS. I'm sure you'll have a field day with that one!! Lol
  • husseycd
    husseycd Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    I gave up bread and pretty much all grain and couldn't be happier. Definitely less bloated and less cravings. I've also lost about 10 lbs and am down to19-20% body fat.

I avoid grain 90% of the time. I will say last week I was backpacking in Alaska and I definitely had tons of grain, which is pretty much unavoidable if you're eating dehydrated food. I'm still alive and didn't gain any weight back.

What's nice about skipping grain is it forces you to think harder about food choices. My snacks now are veggies and hummus instead of chips or crackers. I make banana pancakes (yummy) for breakfast instead of something from a box. Basically, it just seems to translate to healthier eating for me.