GMO Labeling?

Options

Replies

• FerretBuellerr
    FerretBuellerr Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    I am with you 100%! I try my best to avoid anything genetically modified when I can, but it's difficult (especially for me being a student - organic food is a lot more expensive).

Also, you will probably end up with a lot of haters on this site - ignore them. I get the impression that most of them are aiming to be body builders to an extent, thus still eat most of the foods that are modified. That is more than likely over-generalizing, but that's what I've seen so far. Either way, ignore the hate, because it's rampant. There is more than enough evidence out there that anyone can Google it, find it, and make an informed decision on it without being an *kitten*-hat.

Feel free to friend me! I would love to have support and give support to a fellow non-GMO/GMO labeling supporter. :smile:

You do realize that almost everything you eat has been genetically modified in some way, shape, or form, correct? Either bred for flavor, longevity, or other factors. We have been doing it since the dawn of time. We took one crop that was really good, and tried to make sure that crop pollinated our other crops. It's kind of how wheat became our staple crop. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wheat#History

Oh, I am more than aware. If I wasn't aware, I probably wouldn't consider it such a big problem with the non-labeling of foods. But since the dawn of time? Not at all - I think you are confusing genetically modifying foods (ie. adding a gene that does not exist in that variety to it to make it resistant to pesticides) with - what I am completely drawing a blank of the correct term - humans understanding dominant and recessive gene traits in plants and selectively breeding them in such a way as to bring out the traits that make the plants stronger. From my understanding, that is how wild grass became a wheat.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Are you arguing that companies genetically modified food to make it addictive which is the only reason you and your adult children are overweight?

I clearly stated "I can't help but feel it is IN PART to the crap that our FDA and USDA allow to be called food." I made the mistake of thinking anything produced as food was ok to be eating. My fault for not investigating and knowing better.

I point to this for more info on how, yes GMO's are addicting. http://gmo-awareness.com/

I didn't see anything in that article about GMO. It was about the addictive nature of salt and sugar and how big food companies have exploited it. It really isn't the fault of the company, though, if the consumer fails to read the labels. Amounts of sodium and sugar are there.

GMO is a completely different issue.
  • runninghealthy
    runninghealthy Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    QUOTE:
    You do realize that almost everything you eat has been genetically modified in some way, shape, or form, correct? Either bred for flavor, longevity, or other factors. We have been doing it since the dawn of time. We took one crop that was really good, and tried to make sure that crop pollinated our other crops. It's kind of how wheat became our staple crop. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wheat#History
    QUOTE:

Actually, this is not true, and is why many people are in favor of labeling (I am as well, and am not interested in getting into the debate about whether they are addicting, make one fat, etc., I would just like to be able to make an informed decision about my food.). However, to be clear, there is a large difference between a GMO food and a food that has been bred for certain traits. You are entirely correct that we have been "breeding" food for generations, a process that essentially entails an interference with a plant's reproductive cycle, so that we can breed for certain traits. A great example is corn: taking the reproductive pollen from a plant with traits you like, and dusting it over the seeds of other plants, to "breed" for that trait. Is there a certain level of artificiality in this? Yes. But it still uses the reproductive process of nature to make the desired shift.

A GMO plant, on the other hand, has been modified in a laboratory, and injected with a genetic strain often from a completely different species. It's a process that involves actual cell invasion, so as to implant the desired genetic code in the plant's DNA. Often, this is done by using viruses, which are good at invading cells, E-Coli is often used for example. A lab tech will inject the desired string of DNA into an E-Coli virus, and then insert this virus into the cells of a plant. The virus will do what it's good at, which is invade the cell, and thus deliver the desired new genetic material. This is a VERY different process from that described above, and many studies have already shown possible negative side effects of GMO plants.

The example you use of wheat is actually a perfect example because while we have been breeding wheat for certain traits for ages, it has not yet been approved as a GMO. There are some field tests of GMO wheat in the US, but none has been approved for sale and human consumption.

Please make your own decisions about what you eat, me: I'm against GMOs and for labeling, but make sure that you're making them with all the facts in hand.
  • mom2kidds
    mom2kidds Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I wish you luck with this OP, this sounds like it can benefit society as a whole, however due to corporate greed and the powerful wanting to control us, who knows how far we can go. At least with this idea going thru, we can stop blaming others and taking responsibility for our own actions on what we eat.

OMG, we may be finding common ground! Corporate greed and controlling us is a huge part of GMO's and other worldly problems. I've just begun to check out this group http://www.flushthetpp.org/
  • explosivedonut
    explosivedonut Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I am with you 100%! I try my best to avoid anything genetically modified when I can, but it's difficult (especially for me being a student - organic food is a lot more expensive).

Also, you will probably end up with a lot of haters on this site - ignore them. I get the impression that most of them are aiming to be body builders to an extent, thus still eat most of the foods that are modified. That is more than likely over-generalizing, but that's what I've seen so far. Either way, ignore the hate, because it's rampant. There is more than enough evidence out there that anyone can Google it, find it, and make an informed decision on it without being an *kitten*-hat.

Feel free to friend me! I would love to have support and give support to a fellow non-GMO/GMO labeling supporter. :smile:

Oh, I am more than aware. If I wasn't aware, I probably wouldn't consider it such a big problem with the non-labeling of foods. But since the dawn of time? Not at all - I think you are confusing genetically modifying foods (ie. adding a gene that does not exist in that variety to it to make it resistant to pesticides) with - what I am completely drawing a blank of the correct term - humans understanding dominant and recessive gene traits in plants and selectively breeding them in such a way as to bring out the traits that make the plants stronger. From my understanding, that is how wild grass became a wheat.

Yeah those are essentially the same thing. We aren't "splicing" things that could never exist in the plant. We find the gene that we want, turn it on, then breed it. That way, we don't have to spend generations upon generations until we get a plant with the "purebred" version of the gene. That's really all that we are doing.

And to OP, you keep posting random websites, but none of them have peer reviewed scientific studies? Can you please point me towards peer reviewed scientific studies?
  • nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options
    :huh: blaming being overweight on something other than calorie surplus or a medical condition? This ought to be good.

I'm sorry, did I do that? No I did not. But GMO's are a factor in our weight gain.
    You sound a bit like a hater... bye, bye. Best Wishes to you.

Oh yeah, I must be a hater or a bully or whatever because I choose personal responsibility over placing blame onto the food industry. :ohwell:

Your tone from the get go is not nice. I clearly asked for like minded people, which you are not.

Eh. It is the internet and a public forum. :ohwell: People have the right to have additional information, such as a calorie surplus causes weight gain, not the food industry. You have a right to post in a public forum and I have a right to respond. Many times, people mistake disagreeing with not being nice. That is also not true. Anyways...have fun.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Are you arguing that companies genetically modified food to make it addictive which is the only reason you and your adult children are overweight?

I clearly stated "I can't help but feel it is IN PART to the crap that our FDA and USDA allow to be called food." I made the mistake of thinking anything produced as food was ok to be eating. My fault for not investigating and knowing better.

I point to this for more info on how, yes GMO's are addicting. http://gmo-awareness.com/

Nothing on that site pointed towards how GMO's are addictive (closest is an article explaining how the extra sugar and fat in processed food makes it more addictive. No duh). Any peer reviewed scientific studies say they are? I'll just wait here. I'm sure that you will deliver, OP.

As stated in OP I'm looking to group up with like minded people. That is my goal, not to argue with or educate others here. I prefer face to face for education which is why I am a volunteer for YES on 522.

I offer http://www.responsibletechnology.org/ to you. This has enough info to keep you busy for a bit. :)
    After that if you truly care to learn more google for GMO info or a group in your area that might provide a face to face with you.

Best wishes to you.

Lol GMO fearmongering
  • FerretBuellerr
    FerretBuellerr Posts: 468 Member
    Options

Yeah those are essentially the same thing. We aren't "splicing" things that could never exist in the plant. We find the gene that we want, turn it on, then breed it. That way, we don't have to spend generations upon generations until we get a plant with the "purebred" version of the gene. That's really all that we are doing.

And to OP, you keep posting random websites, but none of them have peer reviewed scientific studies? Can you please point me towards peer reviewed scientific studies?

"Essentially" the same thing. But not the same thing. Yes, it's human intervention, but it's done in a natural process that was figured out before humans even invented soap, let alone before modern science.

Also, I think OP is going to keep ignoring you. I don't think this forum was meant to be a debate, just the OP wanting to connect with people that have like-minded views.
  • mom2kidds
    Options

I didn't see anything in that article about GMO. It was about the addictive nature of salt and sugar and how big food companies have exploited it. It really isn't the fault of the company, though, if the consumer fails to read the labels. Amounts of sodium and sugar are there.

GMO is a completely different issue.
    Sorry about that. Sugar is know to be an issue, most likely containing GMO's
    "Sugar: If a non-organic product made in North American lists “sugar” as an ingredient (and NOT pure cane sugar), then it is almost certainly a combination of sugar from both sugar cane and GM sugar beets."

High Fructose corn syrup is also listed in so many products, often as a sweetener.
    "High fructose corn syrup is found in sodas, cereals, cookies, candy, salad dressings, spaghetti sauces, and 1,000 other products. Baked goods use cornstarch; Vegetable oils use corn oil; Breads use corn flour."
    Corn is a high GMO crop.

I point you to http://www.responsibletechnology.org/ for more info.
  • mom2kidds
    Options
    I agree with this comment from another site. Good info.

"From listening to an interview on http://www.itsrainmakingtime.com (Kim Greenhouse) I found out that wheat genes were modified some 40-50 yrs ago and it is not the wheat people used to eat way back then.

Dr. William Davis, the Author of Wheat Belly explained that it now has 10X the yield & a much shorter growing season, making it a super carb making people fatter and fatter….and it causes celiac disease which destroys the intestines….and it can cause rheumatoid arthritis, lupus, Hashimoto’s, weight gain, diabetes, Chrone’s disease and colitis etc

The wheat of today was transformed and is no longer edible without high chance of disease: Wheat used to have 28 chromosomes. It now has 42 chromosomes.Glydin protein in this wheat of today, is an appetite stimulant and they put it in everything from soups to desserts….Since hearing this interview, I quit eating any breads, even organic made from wheat of any type including sprouted breads, and breads made from Spelt, Kamut, and other types of wheat. I found that I was “addicted” to it. Once I started eating some, I had 2, 3, 5, 7 pieces….I thought this was weird…..I was never “addicted” to bread before……I noticed that all other products,for example crackers made of buckwheat all contain rice flour which , according to Dr. Davis, raise blood sugar even more than wheat….so I make my own dehydrated vegetable crackers using an almond flour and ground flaxseed base plus red/yellow peppers or tomatoes/basil or apple/fennel and they are delicious! ….I am passing on this info to everyone I know. Please do your own investigation and pass this on…."
  • Acg67
    Options

"From listening to an interview on http://www.itsrainmakingtime.com (Kim Greenhouse) I found out that wheat genes were modified some 40-50 yrs ago and it is not the wheat people used to eat way back then.

Dr. William Davis, the Author of Wheat Belly explained that it now has 10X the yield & a much shorter growing season, making it a super carb making people fatter and fatter….and it causes celiac disease which destroys the intestines….and it can cause rheumatoid arthritis, lupus, Hashimoto’s, weight gain, diabetes, Chrone’s disease and colitis etc

The wheat of today was transformed and is no longer edible without high chance of disease: Wheat used to have 28 chromosomes. It now has 42 chromosomes.Glydin protein in this wheat of today, is an appetite stimulant and they put it in everything from soups to desserts….Since hearing this interview, I quit eating any breads, even organic made from wheat of any type including sprouted breads, and breads made from Spelt, Kamut, and other types of wheat. I found that I was “addicted” to it. Once I started eating some, I had 2, 3, 5, 7 pieces….I thought this was weird…..I was never “addicted” to bread before……I noticed that all other products,for example crackers made of buckwheat all contain rice flour which , according to Dr. Davis, raise blood sugar even more than wheat….so I make my own dehydrated vegetable crackers using an almond flour and ground flaxseed base plus red/yellow peppers or tomatoes/basil or apple/fennel and they are delicious! ….I am passing on this info to everyone I know. Please do your own investigation and pass this on…."

Good thing William Davis isn't full of it. I sense your research had a lot of confirmation bias, no?
  • 230137isntmyweight
    230137isntmyweight Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    I would like GMO foods to be labled so that I can make an informed choice when I go shopping. I don't like the idea of them myself but more research needs to be done by independent sources before we can say anything about their health risks or not. In the mean time I'd still like to be a better informed consumer, especially when it's food I'm feeding my young children. Labeling would not hurt anything. It doesn't cost near as much as the companies say it will. Also if you're not worried about GMOs then you can ignore the label and eat your favorite products regardless of their sourcing.
  • mslizalde
    Options
    I really wish this would've passed in CA it is important to know what we are eating so that we can make good choices. Unfortunately the rules and laws in labeling are so lax that frequently people think they're making good choices when they aren't. It is important that people do research into the industrialization of food in this country to see how much money and influence is really only held by a few big business companies who don't have our best interest in mind. We need to demand better whole foods!
  • SaberEsPoder
    SaberEsPoder Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Would also really like to see GMO's labeled, and much more research done as to their possible effects. Will send a friend request :)
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

Oh my. Wheat does not cause celiac disease. If it helps you to blame the govt or big corporations for your weight problems, then that's fine. Whatever works for you. But if you really seek good nutritional information, you need to do research a little further. I'd also suggest looking at more objective sources.
  • mom2kidds
    Options
    my last post to bring info to any requesting more... that was not my original intent. perhaps this will give you more info that you desire http://www.criigen.org/SiteEn/index.php?option=com_content&task=blogcategory&id=89&Itemid=132

still hoping for like minded people and I see a few have come along. my main thought was to link with others trying to lose weight while avoiding GMO's. what are your tips and tricks?
  • mom2kidds
    Options

Oh my. Wheat does not cause celiac disease. If it helps you to blame the govt or big corporations for your weight problems, then that's fine. Whatever works for you. But if you really seek good nutritional information, you need to do research a little further. I'd also suggest looking at more objective sources.

Oh my, what kind of expert are you?
  • Acg67
    Options
    my last post to bring info to any requesting more... that was not my original intent. perhaps this will give you more info that you desire http://www.criigen.org/SiteEn/index.php?option=com_content&task=blogcategory&id=89&Itemid=132

still hoping for like minded people and I see a few have come along. my main thought was to link with others trying to lose weight while avoiding GMO's. what are your tips and tricks?

LMAO Seralini, author of the GMO's cause cancer in rats, that was widely denounced by just about everyone except the tinfoil hat crowd?
  • Morn66
    Morn66 Posts: 96
    Options
    I've always wondered: What do people who fear GMOs think of the insulin that diabetics take to control their blood sugar? As well as a number of other medications that people take in order to survive?

Me, I fear no genetic modifications of any sort, natural or artificial. Why should I fear a tomato with fish DNA, for heaven's sake? I dunno, maybe it's because I understand genetics? Am I supposed to fear them because their creation happened in a lab rather than in "nature?" Well, "natural" doesn't always mean "good," you know. Many things that are natural are lethal and many things that are "artificial" are completely benign. To me, if it means longer shelf life or more durable produce or more production in a smaller space or in harsher environmental conditions in order to feed more people at a lower cost, then it's all good. "Organic" is nice and all, because I'm not especially enthused about eating pesticide, but on the whole I prefer to have more food available to more people at a lower cost, thanks. And I'd be happier if meat was produced by cloning meat rather than by slaughtering animals, personally. And that's totally an "in the lab" thing, of course.

IMO, the only bad thing about GMOs is the developer's tendency to patent them and then get all touchy about it. I mean I can understand why they do; they spent good money developing their product and all I think they should have some recourse to protect their investment. But on the other hand, the whole patenting thing tends to trump the "making more/better food available to more people" thing. So, that's a dilemma I have about the whole GMO thing, but I have no issues with the general idea of GMOs. I much more unhappy about animals being stuffed full of antibiotics and growth hormones, but that's A) Not an issue for me since I went vegan and B) Only an issue because I think it sucks for the animals, not because I think it's necessarily "unhealthy" to eat what such animals produce.

All that said, I don't care one way or the other if GMOs are labeled or not. Labeled or not, I will buy them, eat them, and likely have a happy belly afterward. I understand that people want to be "informed" and that's cool and all, but I personally don't feel a need to be "informed" about genetic alteration of the food I eat since such work has been going on forever, in and out of a lab. Frankly, I'd much sooner get behind lobbying for more extensive nutrition labeling on foods beyond just the macronutrients, Vitamin A, Vitamin C, calcium, and iron that is the standard label. To me, that's something way more worth being "informed" about.
  • mom2kidds
    Options

LMAO Seralini, author of the GMO's cause cancer in rats, that was widely denounced by just about everyone except the tinfoil hat crowd?
    I'm wondering who you may be working for?