Haters gonna hate. tired of the "1200 is not enough" speech

Options

Replies

• DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options
    I eat 1100-1200 (when I'm dieting) and people are always "yada yada yada STARVATION MODE!" I'm so sick of it.

Before giving your opinion learn a little about the person you are giving your opinion to. Not all of us are 6'2 and have a TDEE of 2400.

My TDEE is 1600/1700. I have a 400 calorie deficit, probably most of you have a much bigger deficit than I do.

Stop demonizing 1200 calories and learn that it ALL depends on how tall, fat, active you are. Seriously some threads sound like broken records. Read a little before saying the "you are eating too little blablabla"

I remember a woman saying she ate 800-900 and like 3 pages of people saying she was pretty much an idiot for doing that. She stated in her topic that she had surgery to lose weight and thats her maximum calories because her stomach is super small and nobody even read that, they were too preocupied to say she was not eating enough.

That's it. Please, READ the topics and learn a little about the person before saying the you are eating few calories speech because it does not always apply

PS: First language is not english, I'm from Chile and speak spanish so any grammer mistakes I apologize.

I agree completely with your post. It was even worse a year ago when I first started. There was a very large group of people who had taken on the mission of berating anyone and everyone who even mentioned eating at the 1200 level, no matter what their age, height, body composition, activity level, etc. They were actually extremely rude and aggressive about it.
    Most of those people never lost their weight and many have now deactivated their accounts. Many of them realized that they couldn't eat as many calories as they thought they could, and ended up lowering them. Many got tired of spending every day in the gym, killing themself so they could eat what they wanted, and either quit, or lowered their cals and activity.

There are a few of them that are still here, but without all the mindless minions following them, they are less vocal now than they were a year ago.

I assume this trend will follow a cycle of up and down, as new people come and go.

Yes, we all have different factors affecting our caloric needs. Unfortunately, many people on here do not know this, nor do they care, as they just assume that what works for them, will automatically work for everyone else, and they have an innate desire to strut their tail feathers on a public forum. Perhaps they have no control over others in their real life, so feel the need to control here.
    What is even worse, are the people who have just started on here, have read all the 'eat more' rhetoric, and start aggressively pushing it on every thread, and claiming how well it works for them, and they have been here a whole week! And that 2 lb weight loss shows how the weight is just flying off. In a month (or less) they have deactivated and moved on.

If you have lots of free time and are really bored, try doing a search for 1200 calorie threads from a year ago, and see which posters are still here and have lost weight since then, compared to how many has deactivated or are still trying to lose the same lbs now. Apparently their plan hasn't worked well for them.

OF COURSE, 1200 is not an appropriate level for everyone. But it IS appropriate and healthy for many more people than they realize. Most of the people who are succeeding, stay out of the forum arguments and just quietly continue working their way towards goal. You will find many of them in the success stories section.

And I tend to give grown adults the benefit of being smart enough to know if they are starving, tired, weak, and their hair is falling out, then perhaps they need to up their calories. :flowerforyou:
  • wesleycneill
    wesleycneill Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    This thread is still stupid.

Nothing has changed in the past 10 minutes, except more people have put their two cents into a pot that should be empty.

Let her have her imaginary haters.
  • PepperWorm
    PepperWorm Posts: 1,206
    Options

Nothing has changed in the past 10 minutes, except more people have put their two cents into a pot that should be empty.

I love how this is only your second post, lol.

Welcome to the forums!
  • misssiri
    misssiri Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    Actually your TDEE is 2168 assuming you sit for 24 hours each day which I am sure you are not doing. Maybe you should recalculate? Your BMR is close to 1500 so truly you are under eating. Are you eating back exercise calories?

http://www.health-calc.com/diet/energy-expenditure-advanced
  • poedunk65
    poedunk65 Posts: 1,336 Member
    Options
    Seems like you might have anger issues. lol :sad:
  • PepperWorm
    Options
    Actually your TDEE is 2168 assuming you sit for 24 hours each day which I am sure you are not doing. Maybe you should recalculate? Your BMR is close to 1500 so truly you are under eating. Are you eating back exercise calories?

See! This is what I'm talking about!

WHY do people always misinterpret the meaning and purpose of BMR and TDEE??
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options

Welcome to the forums!

I don't know, I think he's going to fit right in. I don't anticipate this poster running off making shouty threads about mean people.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    If you want to slow your metabolism and be stuck HAVING to eat so little. Go ahead. When the body does not get enough calories metabolism slows period. This is from caveman times when the body had no idea when the next food was coming. Of course you may be the special snowflake exception to science. If so great. Have at it enjoy your snacks. I will eat my meals at about 1700 calories having lost over 100 lbs doing so.

Of course the metabolism slows with weight loss. The body must work harder to carry more weight than less weight. It's completely natural. If you lost 100 lbs (though your ticker says 25), then your metabolism slowed.
  • PepperWorm
    Options

Welcome to the forums!

I don't know, I think he's going to fit right in. I don't anticipate this poster running off making shouty threads about mean people.

Oh! I wasn't trying to sound negative. I just found it rather funny! I totally agree! :D
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    It is true that some people can eat 1200 calories and effectively lose, particularly if they are very small people, or if they have a lot of weight to lose. But the body has certain nutritional demands that 1200 calories cannot always meet. Over time, 1200 calories will actually lead to malnourishment. Your body will respond by releasing hormones that are counter-productive to weight loss. This is what is often referred to as "starvation mode" even though that expression is a misnomer. Your body will enter this malnourishment-defense mode long before you ever come close to actually starving.
  • sg992
    sg992 Posts: 60 Member
    Options

This calculator gives me a TDEE of 1900 but all others I've used give ~1700, confusing..!
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options

Yet you cannot stay away, and continue to put in your 2 cents as well. It is still not worth more than the original 2 cents.
  • bagge72
    bagge72 Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    You are calculating wrong, and will probably stall in your weight lose. My wife is 5'4" 115lbs, and eats 1700 a day.

This is what you should be eating at depending on what your daily activity lever is.

Activity Level
    Sedentary (little or no exercise, desk job) 1690
    Lightly Active (light exercise/sports 1-3 days/wk) 1936
    Moderately Active (moderate exercise/sports 3-5 days/wk) 2182
    Very Active (hard exercise/sports 6-7 days/wk) 2429
    Extremely Active (hard daily exercise/sports & physical job or 2X day training, i.e marathon, contest etc.) 2675
  • iTrainHARD
    Options
    LOL everytime I see "haters gonna hate" I read:
    91520120049048172012154326.jpg
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    I agree completely with your post. It was even worse a year ago when I first started. There was a very large group of people who had taken on the mission of berating anyone and everyone who even mentioned eating at the 1200 level, no matter what their age, height, body composition, activity level, etc. They were actually extremely rude and aggressive about it.
    Most of those people never lost their weight and many have now deactivated their accounts. Many of them realized that they couldn't eat as many calories as they thought they could, and ended up lowering them. Many got tired of spending every day in the gym, killing themself so they could eat what they wanted, and either quit, or lowered their cals and activity.

There are a few of them that are still here, but without all the mindless minions following them, they are less vocal now than they were a year ago.

Care to elaborate....? I find it hard to believe that one person could have stalked so many people who deleted their accounts to know the reason why they deleted and whether they succeeded or failed at losing weight or had to lower their calories....

seriously, how do you know why they deleted or whether they had to lower their calories to lose in the end? Or are you just assuming that's the reason why they deleted?
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

WOW! That calculators over-estimated my TDEE by more than 1000 calories. It said TDEE was > 3300 calories. I maintain on just under 2000.
  • redheaddee
    redheaddee Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    Your TDEE at sedentary level is 1771, -20% makes it 1416 plus you should be eating your exercise calories back. It's called math.
    http://www.fitnessfrog.com/calculators/tdee-calculator.html
  • peachfigs
    peachfigs Posts: 831 Member
    Options
    Eat what is right for you, no one else knows what is best for you.

I have no idea why others like to get so stressed about other people's diets, but all I can say is, they are not worth the attention. :flowerforyou:
  • sg992
    sg992 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Your TDEE at sedentary level is 1771, -20% makes it 1416 plus you should be eating your exercise calories back. It's called math.
    http://www.fitnessfrog.com/calculators/tdee-calculator.html

To lose 1lb a week requires a daily 500 calorie deficit though, which would be 1271.
  • hannahlclrk
    hannahlclrk Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    PS: First language is not English, I'm from Chile and speak Spanish so any grammar mistakes I apologize.
    [/quote]

I also think you communicate very well - well done
    and I understand your point. people would probably have a field day with me - i eat around 1200 regularly and probably under cos i don't eat exercise cals back cos i feel like i'm eating all the time. and feel like i have enough energy!