Haters gonna hate. tired of the "1200 is not enough" speech

Options

Replies

• VanessaGS
    VanessaGS Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    If you want to slow your metabolism and be stuck HAVING to eat so little. Go ahead. When the body does not get enough calories metabolism slows period. This is from caveman times when the body had no idea when the next food was coming. Of course you may be the special snowflake exception to science. If so great. Have at it enjoy your snacks. I will eat my meals at about 1700 calories having lost over 100 lbs doing so.

I happen to think she is right though. I'm 5'-0" and I can do perfectly ok on a 1200 calories diet and lose weight the healthy way still. However, when I feel like I've dropped too much I up my calories back up to 1500 to maintain. It all depends on your body and how active you are I guess. If 1700 works for you then more power to you. Wish I could eat that much on a daily basis, but if I try I feel really bloated.
  • badwolves
    Options
    If you want to slow your metabolism and be stuck HAVING to eat so little. Go ahead. When the body does not get enough calories metabolism slows period. This is from caveman times when the body had no idea when the next food was coming. Of course you may be the special snowflake exception to science. If so great. Have at it enjoy your snacks. I will eat my meals at about 1700 calories having lost over 100 lbs doing so.

This is extremely rude.
  • AtlantaWriter
    AtlantaWriter Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    It's amazing how other dieters think they are experts on the topic. I am only an expert on my own body, and even then I make mistakes. Also, the closer you are to your ideal weight (or the less weight you have to lose), the harder it is to lose. That's why going down to 1200 calories may be needed.
  • pvegeta
    pvegeta Posts: 4
    Options
    For me, I have trouble finding enough food to get to 1200 every day, and that includes eating 4 - 5 times a day. it sucks.
  • sg992
    sg992 Posts: 60 Member
    Options

This is exactly what I'm talking about. People don't read the topics. Once they see the 1200 calories they give an immeadiate speech about it without reading anything else.

I repeat, I eat at a 400 calorie deficit. That will not make my metabolism to commit suicide. Good for you, you can eat 1700 and lose weight, my TDEE is 1700.
    I've noticed that none of the people who are complaining about criticisms of 1200 and saying "people don't read the topic" have actually responded to my post asking who they have helped or what advice they have given to anyone who is asking "help I'm not losing on 1200." Is it because those people don't actually help anyone, or that they don't read the topic themselves and never saw that post?

I reply to people who aren't losing on 1200, often because they don't eat back their exercise calories so they're actually netting less than 1000.
  • MsEndomorph
    MsEndomorph Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    So boring, OP. Really, who cares what a bunch of random people in the Internet think.
    Especially when that bunch of people are arguing over which guesstimation calculator is right. Considering they're all just guesses based on super limited information, I'd say anyone who thinks they have it all figured out that way is fooling themselves.
  • Irene8509
    Irene8509 Posts: 381 Member
    Options

If I didn't do any exercise all day, just sat on my butt, then I would want to eat at around 1200 calories. I know this because on my extremely lazy days, my fitbit only gives me a calorie burn of about 1780 or so for the whole day.

The fact that I am active (even being 5'4.5") and that exercise increases TDEE numbers, means that some days I can eat 2000 + calories and still be in a deficit. So, I know you were probably just ranting/exaggerating, but you really don't have to be 6'2" to eat over 2000 calories a day. Statements like that are what lead short women to believe that they have to eat 1200 to lose weight, when in reality there are a lot of factors that determine the amount of calories a person needs per day. Amount of muscle mass plays a role in this as well (more muscle = higher BMR).

edit: I also think the whole "starvation mode" is a very misused term on MFP. There are points where if you aren't eating enough, you can actually cause numerous health problems, but it's like less than 1000 calories everyday for at least 4 weeks. I also don't believe in the magical fat storing when eating less than 1200 calories. Although depending on what your BMR/TDEE is your metabolism could slow from to large of a deficit overtime (months) to match your intake, but this is just your body adapting to what it is being given.

couldn't have said it any better
  • girlPaula
    girlPaula Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Don't worry Camila! I've been for the last 8 months on a "diet" and feel GREAT! I've lost 43 kilograms and I have NOT been starving!!!
    More than anything I've learned to use my daily allowence ( I pretend that is money) very WISELY so I get what I like and is GOOD for MY BODY. It is too easy to go to Burger King and get a sandwich worth 800 or 900 calories.
    I have eaten meal replacement bars, been drinking protein shakes and IMPORTANT: eaten lots of vitamins and minerals every day to keep my body healthy. So, no I am not on a carrot or apple diet. I eat everything, but COUNT the calories and SKIP those foods that cost too much ( calories). When it is party-time or I've reached a goal, we may go to the local Pizzeria, or to a Burger Joint and eat whatever. And of course eat cake on birthdays..... Important not to say NO to everything. BUT, to remember: You don't gain weight between Christmas and New Year, but between New Year and Christmas.

I've been studying myself what those people eat who are often complaining about too little calories. They eat often out ( lots of calories) and complain that they are not losing any weight.

Good Luck to you Camile!
  • Miss_dannii
    Miss_dannii Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    I eat 1200 cal a day and have lost 86 pounds. Starvation mode is a myth. I did eat about 1500 for the first 40lbs lost and I reduced it then on MFPs recommendation and continued to lose. I've reached my target and have had no problem keeping the weight off. I find 1200 plenty for me
  • LikeNoOneElse84
    LikeNoOneElse84 Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    I see it like this, if you are eating healthy, nutritious foods and you're body is thriving, then you're eating enough for YOU. Everyone is different when it comes to their calorie intake. My TDEE is somewhere around 2300 but I don't lose weight until I start going lower than 1500 calories per day. And even then it's a slow, steady weight loss. I've even dipped into the 1000-1100 range and still did fine. My body never went into starvation mode and I ate this way for seven months. Everyone is different.
  • DellG85
    DellG85 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    For me, I have trouble finding enough food to get to 1200 every day, and that includes eating 4 - 5 times a day. it sucks.

Really? I can do that in one sitting quite easily hahaha x
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,026 Member
    Options
    1200 is not enough.
  • badwolves
    Options
    Wow, so many of these comments are grounds for reporting. Go ahead and have a difference of opinion over whether 1200 is enough (not that you should care what someone else eats though) but saying things like "Of course you may be the special snowflake exception to science" and "Chill out lady and have some pizza. Sounds like you could use a few slices" is attacking and insulting her and -- guess what -- that's against the TOS.

Differing views on how many calories are enough for a person are not grounds for insults. You all KNOW that every body has different calorie needs so just because 1200 would send YOUR body into starvation mode does not mean it will do that for everyone. Get off your high horses.
  • jamie_teresa
    jamie_teresa Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I hear it ALL the time too, "you don't eat enough" - well I'm not going to shove food down my throat when I'm not hungry just to get "enough" calories. I'm a measly 5'0, 114lbs - it doesn't take much to fill me up and fuel my body. There are some days I struggle to reach 1200-1300. Somedays, I'll easily throw back WAY more. I think the best advice is to just listen to your body. Feed it when it's hungry. Everyone is different. Haters DO hate.
  • ebgbjo
    ebgbjo Posts: 821 Member
    Options
    I am 4' 11" and 117lbs. My TDEE is only 1519. I also am hypothyroid so already eat less than what I am supposed to because of burning calories slower. I can easily get away with eating less than 1200 calories. 1200 calories is for an AVERAGE height and weight person. I do make sure on days working out that I eat back at least half of my calories, if not all of them.
  • Miss_dannii
    Miss_dannii Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    Wow, so many of these comments are grounds for reporting. Go ahead and have a difference of opinion over whether 1200 is enough (not that you should care what someone else eats though) but saying things like "Of course you may be the special snowflake exception to science" and "Chill out lady and have some pizza. Sounds like you could use a few slices" is attacking and insulting her and -- guess what -- that's against the TOS.

Differing views on how many calories are enough for a person are not grounds for insults. You all KNOW that every body has different calorie needs so just because 1200 would send YOUR body into starvation mode does not mean it will do that for everyone. Get off your high horses.

BEWF!!
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options

Dieters make for cranky people. If you wouldn't run off and tell your boss that someone told you to eat a few slices of pizza then there's no reason to run off and report anyone here.

Personally, life is bigger than anyone "insulting" me on a site where I can't even cuss. Though the "not cursing" thing can work if you're truly creative. I've seen some good ones. Rarely involving pizza, though. A shame. I like pizza.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    It's amazing how other dieters think they are experts on the topic. I am only an expert on my own body, and even then I make mistakes. Also, the closer you are to your ideal weight (or the less weight you have to lose), the harder it is to lose. That's why going down to 1200 calories may be needed.
    Getting to your ideal weight does not require eating less than whatever your TDEE would be at your ideal weight.
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options

Dieters make for cranky people. If you wouldn't run off and tell your boss that someone told you to eat a few slices of pizza then there's no reason to run off and report anyone here.

Personally, life is bigger than anyone "insulting" me on a site where I can't even cuss. Though the "not cursing" thing can work if you're truly creative. I've seen some good ones. Rarely involving pizza, though. A shame. I like pizza.
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options

This is exactly what I'm talking about. People don't read the topics. Once they see the 1200 calories they give an immeadiate speech about it without reading anything else.

I repeat, I eat at a 400 calorie deficit. That will not make my metabolism to commit suicide. Good for you, you can eat 1700 and lose weight, my TDEE is 1700.
    I've noticed that none of the people who are complaining about criticisms of 1200 and saying "people don't read the topic" have actually responded to my post asking who they have helped or what advice they have given to anyone who is asking "help I'm not losing on 1200." Is it because those people don't actually help anyone, or that they don't read the topic themselves and never saw that post?

The biggest help I received on here a year ago came from a 50 yr old female body builder, who after years of trying to exercise away the extra lbs, finally had to accept the reality that she simply could not eat as many calories as some other people could. Her height and age was a big factor in her metabolism. She now has an amazing rock hard body, but unfortunately was banned from the forums for giving her advice to those who might need it. She has been maxed out on her FL for almost a year, despite having not been on the open forums for quite some time.

So when 'those people' do try to give advice and help people, then they are reported for encouraging unhealthy diet practices, or for spamming threads, so they tend to keep their advice to PMs and their own page or blog.

BTW, I have since helped many people on here as well. I just don't broadcast it over the forums.