Squatting Heavy without a rack

Options

Replies

• Juniper3411
    Juniper3411 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Where can I go to find good videos/tutorials on how to use some of the equipment in the free weight room (power cage, squat rack etc.) I'm finding that I am a little nervous to try and figure it out on my own, and the one personal training session I got to hopefully show me this stuff she didn't :( I really want to lift heavy, but my fear of doing things wrong or hurting myself is stopping me. Especially because I go alone.
  • redheaddee
    redheaddee Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    I don't clean much. Oh, wait, that was supposed to be on the "can I log housecleaning" thread.

:laugh: :flowerforyou:
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options

One's upper body strength is not usually the limiting factor in how much one can clean. But you are right that one's power clean is usually nowhere near what one can back squat, and that will be true for both men and women.

I don't clean much.

I figured.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options

One's upper body strength is not usually the limiting factor in how much one can clean. But you are right that one's power clean is usually nowhere near what one can back squat, and that will be true for both men and women.

I don't clean much.

I figured.

Yet. I'm new. But I'll get there eventually.
  • cad39too
    cad39too Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    I use the gym at work (it's free so I shouldn't complain) but they dont have a squat rack and so I've been using the rack on the bench press table but it's awkward to get on and off with the bench between my legs and I'm not comfortable adding weights. I am currently at 70lbs but want to build up to heavier.

Any suggestions?

In because we have no squat rack at work either :-(
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Fullsterkur_woman Posts: 2,712 Member
    Options
    Where can I go to find good videos/tutorials on how to use some of the equipment in the free weight room (power cage, squat rack etc.) I'm finding that I am a little nervous to try and figure it out on my own, and the one personal training session I got to hopefully show me this stuff she didn't :( I really want to lift heavy, but my fear of doing things wrong or hurting myself is stopping me. Especially because I go alone.
    My favorite go-to encyclopedia for exercises is exrx.net. Just use the search function for the particular exercise.
  • cparter
    cparter Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    Try using dumb bells. Hold one in each hand and squat. You're at 70 lbs., that make each dumb bell 35 lbs. You can work your way up from there. Think of it as improving your grip while working your legs. When you run out of dumb bells or can no longer hold them, then you have a problem.

The problem with DumbBell squats is you are limited because of the strain on your grip even when you wrap.

My thing on squats is for what purpose are you doing them? If you are a body builder and plan to have massive legs then they are great. If you are just need to have those tight buns that most women and men want, light dumbell squats or even using a curl bar across the wrong on your chest would suffice.

I would say, if you are not trying to get monster sized thighs and are working to tighten up legs and glutes, don't squat more than you can press and that way you will not need a rack.
  • cparter
    Options
    Videos are fine but nothing replaces prime time knowledge. In other words, save up and get a fitness instructor to show you how to use the equipment and build a plan that suits you.

Common problem that leads to injury is when newbies come in and try to tackle the equipment based on what they have seen and read vice being taught the correct technique and use of the equipment.
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Fullsterkur_woman Posts: 2,712 Member
    Options
    Videos are fine but nothing replaces prime time knowledge. In other words, save up and get a fitness instructor to show you how to use the equipment and build a plan that suits you.

Common problem that leads to injury is when newbies come in and try to tackle the equipment based on what they have seen and read vice being taught the correct technique and use of the equipment.
    Ah, yes, this is true. I work with a trainer. This is just a reminder for me because nobody can keep the zillions of exercises straight in their heads!
  • ja9smakinachange
    ja9smakinachange Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Try using dumb bells. Hold one in each hand and squat. You're at 70 lbs., that make each dumb bell 35 lbs. You can work your way up from there. Think of it as improving your grip while working your legs. When you run out of dumb bells or can no longer hold them, then you have a problem.

The problem with DumbBell squats is you are limited because of the strain on your grip even when you wrap.

My thing on squats is for what purpose are you doing them? If you are a body builder and plan to have massive legs then they are great. If you are just need to have those tight buns that most women and men want, light dumbell squats or even using a curl bar across the wrong on your chest would suffice.

I would say, if you are not trying to get monster sized thighs and are working to tighten up legs and glutes, don't squat more than you can press and that way you will not need a rack.

Really? lifting heavy is going to bulk up my thighs? My goal is to tighten up legs and glutes but I've heard that heavy lifting is the best way to do that? I should add that my goals are really 1. Get Stronger 2. Get Faster knowing that if I do these the 'get skinnier' will come.
  • FrnkLft
    FrnkLft Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't do back squats without a proper rack. You'll just hurt yourself.

Do Cleans/Front Squats instead. Make sure you drop the weight at first though, since it will be harder for you to lift the same amount of weight as for back squats.
  • murphy612
    murphy612 Posts: 734 Member
    Options

Really? lifting heavy is going to bulk up my thighs? My goal is to tighten up legs and glutes but I've heard that heavy lifting is the best way to do that? I should add that my goals are really 1. Get Stronger 2. Get Faster knowing that if I do these the 'get skinnier' will come.

Uhh no. What she wrote is not accurate. My thighs continue to get leaner, stronger and more defined. Keep doing what you're doing, you are on the right track.
  • cparter
    Options

Uhh no. What she wrote is not accurate. My thighs continue to get leaner, stronger and more defined. Keep doing what you're doing, you are on the right track.

It is He (me) and I was a former body builder/power lifter. I am giving advice based on her goals and you are basing your comments on?
  • ja9smakinachange
    Options

It is He (me) and I was a former body builder/power lifter. I am giving advice based on her goals and you are basing your comments on?

Sorry not trying to start a debate - I really would love to know what's best for me - however not sure anyone can give that advice without looking at my true body composition.
  • bumblebums
    Options

Sorry not trying to start a debate - I really would love to know what's best for me - however not sure anyone can give that advice without looking at my true body composition.

I don't think your thighs are going to get bulky squatting with 70 lb worth of dumbbell weights total.
  • ja9smakinachange
    Options
    Yes, not at 70# but I want to build to more. I love the thought of squatting my body weight, why? I dont know it sounds strong.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I lift at home and don't have room or the money for a squat rack, so I do hack squats. http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/Quadriceps/BBHackSquat.html

It's probably not ideal, but I'm very happy with the results.

I like it!
  • HelloDan
    HelloDan Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    Except that women's upper body strength is going to limit the amount they can clean. They can squat much more on the back than that.

Of course a back squat would be optimal, but given no squat rack, a front squat seems to be close to the next best alternative to get a decent load.

I mentioned in my first post that for an efficient lifter back squat should be about 130% clean, front squat would be a lot closer around 110% would be possible. Of course this is limited by clean technique, but again, the whole thing is a sub-optimal scenario to begin with.

Also just to be pedantic, why would you power clean it, if you want to get max load?
  • murphy612
    murphy612 Posts: 734 Member
    Options

I apologize, he :) I base my comments on my experience. Countless research, articles, personal accounts from female lifters, advice from male and female trainers, body builder/power lifters, etc. I won't hijack this thread, but do a search, either here, bodybuilding.com, google etc. for Females getting bulky and you'll understand why I disagreed with your post. Thanks!
  • bumblebums
    Options
    Except that women's upper body strength is going to limit the amount they can clean. They can squat much more on the back than that.

Of course a back squat would be optimal, but given no squat rack, a front squat seems to be close to the next best alternative to get a decent load.

I mentioned in my first post that for an efficient lifter back squat should be about 130% clean, front squat would be a lot closer around 110% would be possible. Of course this is limited by clean technique, but again, the whole thing is a sub-optimal scenario to begin with.

Also just to be pedantic, why would you power clean it, if you want to get max load?

Well, just to be pedantic, would you suggest that someone who doesn't even have access to a power rack should learn a squat clean in order to be able to practice squats?