Be honest: walking a 5k.

Options

Replies

• kymberlin
    kymberlin Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I think it's awesome that you want to do a 5k. I say go for it. Last year at 195lbs I did a 3.66 race and most was uphill. I got an email a few weeks before it saying you couldn't walk it. I knew I wasn't ready to jog all of it. Course then I saw the hills and was gonna quit right then and there. I finished in an hour. My SIL stayed with me the whole way encouraging me. This year I did a Biggest Loser 5k. I was 228ish. I jogged more of it but was on my own and took me 62 minutes. I'm very proud that I did them and really just finishing them was awesome. Even if you walk at least you gave it your all. You sound like you rock. Feel free to friend request me.
    Kimberly
  • Foxtrot2N
    Foxtrot2N Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    As it has been said, a 6 minute mile and 16 minute mile are still a mile. :wink: And, as long as you're moving around the track you are lapping all the potatoes still on their couches! Go for it!!
  • RunningForeverMama
    RunningForeverMama Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Not lame! :smile:
  • chloeRichardson1
    Options
    No not at all. I don't like running. But I enter 5 k walks and have also done marathons. Walking is just as good of an exercise form as running, and puts less pressure on the knee joints.

Go on go for it!!!! :)
  • tejor
    tejor Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    The excitement from doing the race will stay with you whether you walk or run. There is an enthusiasm to those things that are extremely encouraging. I have walked 5k's, 10k's and even a 1/2 marathon. You do what you feel good about and don't let anyone tell you not too.
  • ElyseL1
    ElyseL1 Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    UM...i walked the bay to breakers when i was 17, would i run it? HECK NO! Its tiring but awesome. DO IT if you want to, its a lot of fun.
  • DisneyAddictRW
    DisneyAddictRW Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    Your friend is lame. Walking a 5k is awesome. Go for it!

agree!
  • A_Warrior_Princess
    A_Warrior_Princess Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    Absolutely so this!!!! Sounds like a lot of fun and there are always walking groups/walkers at races. They are for everyone!
  • nathalier71
    nathalier71 Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    I walk 5 miles everyday. That does not make me lame! Gets me moving and in better shape!

You go girl! Walk your little heart out!
  • TheRunningGuppy
    TheRunningGuppy Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    No shame in it all! Lots of people walk 5K's.
  • anaconda469
    anaconda469 Posts: 3,461 Member
    Options

I mentioned to a friend that I would like to do a 5k this year and walk the Bay to Breakers 12k next year. I have a group of friends that have done the B2B and are talking about doing it again. Of course, both would be walking for the experience.

The Bay to Breakers is a great road race. I did it a few times. The worst part by far is Hayes Street Hill. If you are doing all of the activities you listed, you should be fine doing the B2B. Just take Hayes Street Hill slowly until you get used to it. And the reward at the end is running in the ocean at the end of the race.
  • dawn_h_d
    dawn_h_d Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it!

Just out of curiousity, what was her true reasoning behind it being "lame"?
  • caramelgyrlk
    caramelgyrlk Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options
    Go for it. You can do it.
  • MzManiak
    MzManiak Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    No! I walked a 5k. Brought my kids too :smile: Pft... I still can't run a whole one! Working on it....
  • CharliesInCharge
    CharliesInCharge Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Hell no, you're doing better than everyone on the sidelines or the couch.

Your friend needs a pie in the face.

AMEN!!. do it!!
  • msfine2328
    msfine2328 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I think its great you want to do it and no you are not lame!!
  • tavenne323
    tavenne323 Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    Do it!!! A spontaneous 5k a few years ago is what stated getting me focused on getting healthy. 3 miles was a lot further than I thought!! I do the same one every year and compare my times! They are a great way to push yourself a little harder...walk a little faster... I still can jog/run a whole 5k...but each year I notice that I am able to go just a little bit more before I walk.
  • boatsie77
    boatsie77 Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    Call me lame...I walk 5Ks. 2 weeks ago I won 1st place overall for women walkers (36:27)--and I'm 58 and lost 90 pounds last year. (My 1st 5K in 0ct 2012 I finished in 53:37 minutes)

DO IT...BE LAME & PROUD OF IT!

IMG_20130809_102547_zpse07dd6a9.jpg
  • LabAgility
    LabAgility Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Wow!!! Thank you all for the tremendous support. I really appreciate it.

You all echoed my mindset- to just get out there and do it. Who cares really and I can always improve my time, even running one at a later date. I have a 2.5 year old and a 17 month old. I would love them to grow up seeing their mommy do things like this. :-)

The friend has never done any 5k's and quite possibly believes them to be filled with competitive runners, leaving no room for walkers? I really don't know, the gist of what I got was that it is far better to run slowly than to walk fast.
  • justal313
    justal313 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    The only thing that is lame is wearing the shirt you get for participating during the race. As long as you don't wear the race shirt you aren't the slightest bit lame, lots and lots of people walk 5Ks.

Seriously though, don't wear the race shirt during the race... don't be that guy.