Be honest: walking a 5k.

Options

Replies

• LunaMischief
    LunaMischief Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I done 2 5K's, one last year and one earlier this summer - both had quite a crowd of walkers. And both 5K's, I myself walked. It's really not a big deal if you walk.
  • HealthyWarrior
    HealthyWarrior Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    Honestly if we lived next to one another I would walk both the 5K and 12K with you. I love to walk. In my head I want to learn to run but I haven't gotten there just yet. I already have one bad knee so before I attempt to start running I want to get more weight off first.
  • LoosingMyLast15
    LoosingMyLast15 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    Would walking a 5k make me lame, as a friend suggests?

I am overweight and don't want to put undue stress on my knees with running until I lose some weight.. Although I am over 300 lbs I have never been sedentary, I have always walked, ridden horses, hauled hay, kayaked, etc. It has never stopped me from doing what I wanted to - although I am the first to admit I could be in much better shape, and am working on it.

I mentioned to a friend that I would like to do a 5k this year and walk the Bay to Breakers 12k next year. I have a group of friends that have done the B2B and are talking about doing it again. Of course, both would be walking for the experience.

I know I can do a 5k in under an hour. I just finished over 4.5 miles in the hills in 1.5 hours. My HRM puts me in the zone 2/3 of the time.

You guys can be honest with me, I can take it. Should I shelve my plans for when I can actually run?

as long as the race allows it (some discourage walkers because of the terrain) then i say go for it! good for you for wanting to sign up for a 5k.
  • Beastette
    Beastette Posts: 1,497 Member
    Options
    Not doing it all all is lame. Walking it is a start.

When I first began running many moons ago, I read a book (The Runners Handbook). I usually begin anything by reading, which can also be lame. I digress.

One fun fact in the book is that you will, generally speaking, burn the same amount of calories/mile whether you walk those miles or run them. It takes you less time to run them, but you'll cover the same mileage walking.

That fun fact was almost the end of my running career. Seemed smarter to walk the miles for the same burn. I digress again.

It wasn't long before I wanted more miles even though I had the same amount of time to exercise. So I was forced to pack in more miles per hour. The last race I walked was five years ago, when I was giant pregnant and pushing my one year-old in a 10K. (I still ran a little. People were very, very afraid). Again, with the digression...

Short answer: do it, and slap anybody who looks at you crosswise.
  • Jen_ie
    Jen_ie Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    When I first started to try to be healthier and lose weight I noticed a change in some of my friends. There were those that were supportive and wanting to do whatever they could to help. And those who were dismissive and in some cases made me feel silly for even trying. And one or two who even tried to sabotage my efforts by being overly insistent that I do unhealthy things. And people who are genuinely offended when you refuse that slice of cake or pie they made. I walked a 10k mini-marathon for charity in June this year. It was the first time I've ever done anything competitive which was physical. I walked it because due to breaking my ankle in 2009 I can't do very high impact stuff, like running. I didn't feel any shame in walking it. Plenty of other people were. I did it in 1 hour 49 minutes. Just taking part in an event like this was a huge achievement for me because up until a year or so ago the furthest I walked was to the supermarket to buy more cakes.
    Now I try to spend as little time as possible with the negative friends. The ones who had no faith in me. And I devote my time to the ones who encouraged and helped me. I still have a long way to go to reach my weight and fitness goals so I need all the positivity I can get. I suggest you do the same. And good luck with the 5k! :smile:
  • DragonSquatter
    DragonSquatter Posts: 957 Member
    Options
    I walked my first 5k a few months ago just after I had my baby. I did it with him in his stroller too. He was two months old at the time.

553986_10101375216731535_436548817_n.jpg

No shame and not lame at all if you want to walk it! Everyone does things at their own pace, and there's no reason for you not to go and enjoy yourself. There were a lot of older women and women who weren't comfortable running right with me the whole time, and we all had a great time! You might even make some new less-obnoxious friends while you're at it.
  • jerryvo
    jerryvo Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    #1 Don't worry about what other people think.

#2 Do it. I hate to run (I mean hate with a white hot burning passion) so I walk / briskly walk charity 5k with friends when the mood strikes me. I have one coming up soon with my wife. There are plenty of walkers out there and finishing regardless of time give you a sense of accomplishment and is good exercise.

It sounds to me that your friends are kind of lame for dumping on you.
  • BJPCraig
    BJPCraig Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    Walk it. Nothing lame about it. Have fun!
  • doctorsookie
    doctorsookie Posts: 1,084 Member
    Options
    any kind of workout is awesome. you should do what you want to do. I myself am looking for a 5K to walk soon.
  • silvergurl518
    silvergurl518 Posts: 4,123 Member
    Options
    anyone who judges you for walking is lame! while you're walking a 5K, couch potatoes all around the world will be sinking ever so slowly back into their sofa cushions.

i'll be jog/walking a half marathon next month. sounds like you're on the right path (waka waka).
  • LabAgility
    LabAgility Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Please do not ridde horses if you are 300lbs, there backs are not able to handle that weight.. If you feel like you can walk 5k go for it!! Good luck

Actually there are a lot of factors to consider: horse size, muscling, bone, age, fitness as well as rider size, experience, balance, etc.

I have not ridden lately because I had 2 kids back to back, but rode my horses regularly weighing 280. There were never problems or issues- and I even had chiropractic check-ups done regularly. My trainer has been encouraging me to get back out there as this is the longest riding hiatus I have had in my life.

Thanks for the PSA on behalf of horses, but as you can see there is a lot more to it than, "you are too fat, you will crush your horse."

And, thanks for the 5k encouragement, too. :-)
  • Beastette
    Beastette Posts: 1,497 Member
    Options
    I walked my first 5k a few months ago just after I had my baby. I did it with him in his stroller too. He was two months old at the time.

553986_10101375216731535_436548817_n.jpg

No shame and not lame at all if you want to walk it! Everyone does things at their own pace, and there's no reason for you not to go and enjoy yourself. There were a lot of older women and women who weren't comfortable running right with me the whole time, and we all had a great time! You might even make some new less-obnoxious friends while you're at it.

She said it much better than I. Just don't forget the slapping. Have fun!
  • sandy_gee
    sandy_gee Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    Your friend is lame. Walking a 5k is awesome. Go for it!

That's absolute bullarcky. You're getting out there and you're doing it, and your friend is just a snotty buttface.
  • richx83
    richx83 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    sorry but why would you want to be friends with someone that would call you lame for wanting to walk a 5k. Go out there and do it, all my weight loss has been through walking and all i could manage to start with was 15 minutes at a time, it will be so worth it for you so go for it and get better friends that will encourage you, not call you lame for wanting to change your life.

Rich
  • BrunetteRunner87
    BrunetteRunner87 Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    It's lame to not do your best, whatever that may be. Could mean you should run it in under 20 minutes, could mean you walk and take sit breaks!
  • sandy_gee
    sandy_gee Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    Please do not ridde horses if you are 300lbs, there backs are not able to handle that weight.. If you feel like you can walk 5k go for it!! Good luck

*ride
    *their

With that out of the way, I'll share my own advice. Please do not advise on things you know nothing about.
    kthx.
  • 230137isntmyweight
    230137isntmyweight Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    "Go, live your dream." Honestly tons of people walk them. Nothing lame about it.
  • creech6317
    creech6317 Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    Most 5K's are done to raise money/awareness for some kind of issue/disease/etc. walking or running you are out there showing support and helping out the community.
    Why would it be lame to walk it? Doing it is the important part, and any exercise is better than none.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    Would walking a 5k make me lame, as a friend suggests?

No. You do what you can do. If that means walking 5k, you walk it.
  • Codefox
    Codefox Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Nothing lame about walking the race. You're doing more than the people who stayed in bed! I'm also against wearing the race shirt at race day but that's a personal thing...the real etiquette you need to follow as a walker is start in the back. If you turn around and there are people behind you before you start...you're too far forward 8) (Unless they have an area for walkers to start in) In crowded races there's nothing worse for the runners than needed to zig zag around people walking! But I've never thought anyone walking was lame, be it at a race or just out on the trails.