? for moms

Options

Replies

• msudaisy28
    msudaisy28 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I breastfed exclusively for the first 3 months while I was off work. After I returned to work my daughter got only BM, either from me or from a bottle when I had pumped. She remained on BM until she turned 1 and we converted to whole milk. She only had formula twice - at the hospital when I wasn't really producing and she had jaundice and when my MIL had her overnight and DH forgot to give her the milk to take with her.

I pumped until she was 11 months then stopped producing. I had enough BM stored in the freezer from pumping to continue feeding her that until we switched to cow milk.

It was really, really hard to pump often enough when I was working. At the time I worked in a consulting role, so I was working a ton of billable hours and I had to take non-bill time to pump. So even though I was "paid" for my pumping time it didn't decrease my workload and actually extended my working day. I don't regret doing it (mostly for the cost savings) but if I could go back and talk to myself at that time I would tell past me to relax a little about it.

Bottom line - do what is right for you and your baby. It's an awesome and beautiful thing to breastfeed but it doesn't have to be the end all be all.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    I was expressing to my nurse practioner the other day that I was a little worried I wouldnt be able to breast feed. PCOS/insulin resistance is known to cause low milk production.

She said dont worry babies know what to do. I'm not sure I completely agree with this. If it was so easy why are there lactation consultants?

My Mom didnt breastfeed with me in the 70's although she tried because I wasnt latching properly, and the only advice she got from the Le Leche league was to feed the baby. Which didnt help since I wasnt eating. I am the first born and the only kid not breastfed because she didnt get the support she needed.

We all dont know the circumstance of the woman and the baby, so you cant judge. Most of us know breast milk is the preferred, but the most importance thing to do is feed the baby so he/she can grow.
  • Alyssah09
    Alyssah09 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    I am for breastfeeding, although it never really worked for me. With my first he was tongue tied and my second my milk never came in :( I pumped for 3 months with my first and 3 weeks with my second
  • ldrosophila
    Options
    Breastfeeding is so good for baby(and mom too) I hope every mom at least gives it a try. However I understand some women cant for many different reasons. And I dont look down on moms that formula feed. If you want to continue breastfeeding look up to see if your state has any laws the protect breastfeeding at the work place and talk to your boss about allowing you time to pump.

Good advice

http://www.ncsl.org/issues-research/health/breastfeeding-state-laws.aspx
  • stephysd
    stephysd Posts: 2,410 Member
    Options
    I nursed my son for 13 months but I was not working then Im about to have this one only difference is im working full time. not sure what I wanna do.

I breastfed both of my sons until they were 15 months old. My oldest I worked full time at a hospital 12 hours shifts/three days a week. Youngest I started my current job as an office manager at an insurance agency. Both kids I pumped at work once my maternity leave was done. For my oldest, I would use an empty hospital room (there was two other nursing moms so the hospital was kind of enough to just let us use it for that purpose only). I pumped on my 15 minute breaks both morning and afternoon and would eat lunch in the room while I pumped. Ideal - not really but it worked. For my youngest, I would pump morning and afternoon in the bathroom. It is a larger bathroom and I would just pull in two chairs. One to sit in and the other to hold the pump. On my noon hour, I would go to the daycare and nurse my son as it was only two blocks away.

If you decide to pump I would suggest in getting a good quality pump. I purchased a Medela breast pump ( older version of this http://www.medelabreastfeedingus.com/products/573/pump-in-style-advanced) at a second-hand maternity/kids store. I think I only paid $50 which was 7 years ago. It has gone through my sons and both my cousin and sister have used it as well for their babies. I purchased new tubes and attachments from the medical supply store attached to our hospital.

Best of luck, but choose what works best for you. I know women who would only nurse at night and the morning before going to work, and skip pumping during the day. I could never do that as I felt like I would explode. Or even if you breastfed for the first few weeks/months that you are home is a fine option also. You just need to do what works for you.
  • thefragile7393
    thefragile7393 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Not sure what the purpose of this topic would be except to reallllllly get under some people's skin on either side.
  • MamaCatO
    MamaCatO Posts: 100
    Options
    I'm all for breastfeeding, although, sadly it didn't work out for me. I had too many problems. I won't judge somebody either way. If your baby is healthy and happy is all that matters.
  • TyTy76
    TyTy76 Posts: 1,761 Member
    Options
    :indifferent: :indifferent:
  • gabiinacio
    gabiinacio Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    My first daughter wouldn't latch on, and I was also a working mom so the next best thing was to pump. I did this for about 4 months and alternated between breast milk and formula,. My milk dried up shortly after that. With my second daughter, I never produced any milk. I got a lot of crap for it too, but what could I do? I am not judgmental either, do what YOU THINK IS BEST for you and your baby.
  • Val_from_OH
    Val_from_OH Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    Both of mine were breastfed for a while.

My son was a hungry eater and I was not able to save up much milk for when I went back to work, so we started supplementing him at about 2 months old. I pumped for another 3 months or so, but I had to pump in the bathroom at work & it was stressful and I was so glad when I quit. He also had a suspected cow's milk allergy, so I was not allowed to have any dairy products - that sucked.

My daughter was not so hungry, and I was able to pump several ounces after every feeding. I went back to work with a freezerful of milk! By then, my office had a proper mother's room, so I was also able to pump more easily at work. She was exclusively breastfed until we started her on cereal, at which point I discovered that breastmilk turns rice cereal thin as water (something about the enzymes). We started supplementing then, but I think she nursed until about 8 months old. When I started having supply issues, we stopped, no big deal.

I truly believe that everyone should try it. Our bodies make milk for a reason, and to me, it only seems natural to give your baby that food. Thank goodness for modern science that we do not have to continue to nurse them all the way until they are on a 100% solid diet. As for bonding - I felt very sad when my babies first started taking bottles from someone other than me. They, on the other hand, didn't care one bit :-)
  • skylark94
    skylark94 Posts: 2,036 Member
    Options
    I breastfed my son for 10 months. I ended up weaning him early because I was not producing enough milk and he was too thin. I decided, with input from his pediatrician, to transition him to formula.

My daughter was born 15 weeks premature and spent 3 months in the NICU. I pumped for several weeks so she could get a good start once her feeding tube was placed, but once again I had a hard time with production, so by the time she came home from the hospital she was on formula too.

Breastfeeding is a very personal choice. I would never not try it, but I wouldn't fault any mother for her decision either way. I will say though, my older brother was formula fed and I was breast fed. I missed a lot less school due to illness. Not sure if that's a coincidence or not.
  • ren_ascent
    ren_ascent Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Kudos for the good majority of honest nonjudgemental/non-trolling comments! I worked full time with both my babies and despised pumping, but managed to keep it up for several months with both. Ended up transferring to formula with no issues. Congrats on your incoming bundle of joy!
  • DenyseMarieL
    DenyseMarieL Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    Breastfed my first for two months, bottle fed my second. Both are equally as healthy. It's a personal choice. I don't think anyone should be bullied into believing one is better than the other. They are just DIFFERENT ways to feed a baby.
  • ren_ascent
    ren_ascent Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Not sure what the purpose of this topic would be except to reallllllly get under some people's skin on either side.

Fortunately it doesn't seem to be having that effect.
  • amyk0202
    amyk0202 Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    I breastfed all 4 of mine. They were all preemies, so I started out pumping right off the bat while they were in the NICU, but they did transition to the breast once they were home. For the first 3, I worked full time so they only nursed for between 12-14 months (different with each child). I was very lucky because my employer had a Mom's room where they supplied a hospital grade pump, a sink, & a refrigerator to store the milk. I did have my own pump--a Medela Pump in Style that I would use at home or when another mom was using the work pump. I highly recommend the Pump in Style for any working mother. It was easy to use & lasted me several children with no drop in supply. My 4th, I worked part time for my parents, so he nursed for about 2-2.5 years (I can't remember exactly when he weaned). I personally think that if you can breastfeed, you should.
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    milk, I approve! why not

FE0.gif?8053
  • ldrosophila
    Options
    Oh and good news in 2014 once the affordable healthcare act goes through insurance companies will be required to cover breast pumps.

I was also reading more and according to US dept of labor. Employers MUST provide you with break time and a private room (not bathroom) to pump for up to one year. Whether they pay you or not is up to them, but it must be reasonably be provided.

http://www.dol.gov/whd/nursingmothers/faqBTNM.htm

One thing Uncle Sam did right...nice
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    wheres the pics at?

You saddo
  • caramelgyrlk
    caramelgyrlk Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options
    I breastfed both of my girls and used a double breast pump that resulted in my freezer being full of milk. I felt like a cow at times, yet looking down at my girls suckling and holding my finger was absolutely PRICELESS.

Get as much information as you can about it and make the best choice for you and your situation.

Cheers.
  • cherryd69
    cherryd69 Posts: 340
    Options

Fortunately it doesn't seem to be having that effect.

I think it might be because im a tad defensive about not being able to breast feed... some of the posts are getting under my skin.

But, im restraining myself from commenting on them because its my own hurt that is letting the comments affect me... if you get what i mean?

Look at that.... i dont even want to do a 'take for example insert quote here'

I just dont think someone else's opinion should matter on something they have no part in.