? for moms

2»

Replies

• skylark94
    skylark94 Posts: 2,036 Member
    I breastfed my son for 10 months. I ended up weaning him early because I was not producing enough milk and he was too thin. I decided, with input from his pediatrician, to transition him to formula.

My daughter was born 15 weeks premature and spent 3 months in the NICU. I pumped for several weeks so she could get a good start once her feeding tube was placed, but once again I had a hard time with production, so by the time she came home from the hospital she was on formula too.

Breastfeeding is a very personal choice. I would never not try it, but I wouldn't fault any mother for her decision either way. I will say though, my older brother was formula fed and I was breast fed. I missed a lot less school due to illness. Not sure if that's a coincidence or not.
  • ren_ascent
    ren_ascent Posts: 432 Member
    Kudos for the good majority of honest nonjudgemental/non-trolling comments! I worked full time with both my babies and despised pumping, but managed to keep it up for several months with both. Ended up transferring to formula with no issues. Congrats on your incoming bundle of joy!
  • DenyseMarieL
    DenyseMarieL Posts: 673 Member
    Breastfed my first for two months, bottle fed my second. Both are equally as healthy. It's a personal choice. I don't think anyone should be bullied into believing one is better than the other. They are just DIFFERENT ways to feed a baby.
  • ren_ascent
    ren_ascent Posts: 432 Member
    Not sure what the purpose of this topic would be except to reallllllly get under some people's skin on either side.

Fortunately it doesn't seem to be having that effect.
  • amyk0202
    amyk0202 Posts: 667 Member
    I breastfed all 4 of mine. They were all preemies, so I started out pumping right off the bat while they were in the NICU, but they did transition to the breast once they were home. For the first 3, I worked full time so they only nursed for between 12-14 months (different with each child). I was very lucky because my employer had a Mom's room where they supplied a hospital grade pump, a sink, & a refrigerator to store the milk. I did have my own pump--a Medela Pump in Style that I would use at home or when another mom was using the work pump. I highly recommend the Pump in Style for any working mother. It was easy to use & lasted me several children with no drop in supply. My 4th, I worked part time for my parents, so he nursed for about 2-2.5 years (I can't remember exactly when he weaned). I personally think that if you can breastfeed, you should.
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    milk, I approve! why not

FE0.gif?8053
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Oh and good news in 2014 once the affordable healthcare act goes through insurance companies will be required to cover breast pumps.

I was also reading more and according to US dept of labor. Employers MUST provide you with break time and a private room (not bathroom) to pump for up to one year. Whether they pay you or not is up to them, but it must be reasonably be provided.

http://www.dol.gov/whd/nursingmothers/faqBTNM.htm

One thing Uncle Sam did right...nice
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,078 Member
    wheres the pics at?

You saddo
  • caramelgyrlk
    caramelgyrlk Posts: 1,112 Member
    I breastfed both of my girls and used a double breast pump that resulted in my freezer being full of milk. I felt like a cow at times, yet looking down at my girls suckling and holding my finger was absolutely PRICELESS.

Get as much information as you can about it and make the best choice for you and your situation.

Cheers.
  • cherryd69
    cherryd69 Posts: 340
    Not sure what the purpose of this topic would be except to reallllllly get under some people's skin on either side.

Fortunately it doesn't seem to be having that effect.

I think it might be because im a tad defensive about not being able to breast feed... some of the posts are getting under my skin.

But, im restraining myself from commenting on them because its my own hurt that is letting the comments affect me... if you get what i mean?

Look at that.... i dont even want to do a 'take for example insert quote here'

I just dont think someone else's opinion should matter on something they have no part in.
  • AnninStPaul
    AnninStPaul Posts: 1,372 Member
    "When people have another endocrine problem, like diabetes, we don't say, "if you care enough, you can will your pancreas into making enough insulin." Yet somehow lactation is the only endocrine system that we guilt women into feeling bad about not having complete control over. "

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/08/08/breastfeeding-graves-disease_n_3676156.html?ref=topbar
  • I am for breastfeeding. I did it for only two weeks though, sadly. It wasn't for me for many many reasons. I look up to the women who can do it.
  • pchesnut
    pchesnut Posts: 347 Member
    I breastfed all 4 of my girls but they weened themselves at 6 months which was fine with me because I was kinda ready to be done at that point too. I figured I had given them the ultimate nutrition for the first 6 months anyway.
    No matter which way to believe there are going to be critics so just do what feels right FOR YOU
  • Jersey_Devil
    Jersey_Devil Posts: 4,142 Member
    One day i hope there is a female President of the United States and that she breast feeds while giving the state of the union address.
  • Cadori
    Cadori Posts: 4,810 Member
    Did it both kids. The first one for 14 months (self weaned) and at 20 months the second is still going (usually once a day, sometimes twice, sometimes none).

I don't care what anyone else does.

I'll do me, you do you.
  • madworld1
    madworld1 Posts: 524
    One day i hope there is a female President of the United States and that she breast feeds while giving the state of the union address.

Sorry, but I don't want to see that. :noway: Haha.
  • NoleGirl0918
    NoleGirl0918 Posts: 213 Member
    i had every intention of breast feeding with my 1st son & was absolutely a basket case when my milk never came in. i tried using a hospital pump, going to lactation classes, drinking "Mother's Milk" tea & getting help/advice from friends but nothing ever happened. My kids were born 13 months apart & with my 2nd i tried again but again no milk ever came in. Hubby gently reminded me that it wasn't good for me to stress myself out as much as i did with the 1st over not being able to breast feed. {God bless that man!!}

Fast forward to today -- my kids are 8 & 7, both doing very well in their school classes & very healthy. They have both reached all of their developmental milestones early so i don't feel that not breast feeding was a detriment to their well being. In summary, i would have loved to be able to breast feed but my body did not cooperate at all. Please don't think i'm trying to discourage you at all, just sharing my experiences - i wish you the best in whatever path you choose for you & your baby.
  • Jersey_Devil
    Jersey_Devil Posts: 4,142 Member

Sorry, but I don't want to see that. :noway: Haha.

Do you honestly watch the state of the union address anyway? come on, now. lol ;)
  • Didn't try with my oldest, next 4 I tried but were bottle fed from about 3-4 months on, youngest I nursed until 20 months.
  • I had a very sick baby at 27 weeks. Finally got him home after 4.5mths. He had lots of tummy issues but I was able to nurse him until he was almost 3. :)
  • wannabpiper
    wannabpiper Posts: 402 Member
    Nursed my youngest far too long (he traded the boob in permanently for chocolate cake on one of his birthdays at my begging for release). Glad I did it and I encourage anyone to try to work it out. I was active duty military then, too, and spent some time pumping. The colonel walked into the ladies room once when I was pumping to show off his new facility to some other bigwigs. I'm not sure who was more embarrassed.

You don't need all those gadgets to pump, either. Ziplock baggies, a thermos to stuff them in, and a dominant hand will get the job done. Be sure to pump and freeze during the last weeks of your maternity leave to get a stock of milk ready for when you go back.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Why would anyone be against it? Whats to be against?

^ This. It doesn't matter to me if a woman chooses to breastfeed or formula feed, not my business. But no matter which they choose, why would anyone be against breastfeeding?