• larsensue
    larsensue Posts: 461 Member
    thx!!
  • syedsaad
    syedsaad Posts: 156 Member
    bump
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member

9. Going organic won't help with weight loss.
    I love my local farmer's market, and I always do my best to purchase products from the best sources. That said, slapping "organic" on a label does not mean it will help you lose weight, and in some instances it won't even guarantee that a food is healthy. Research published in the Annal of Internal Medicine reviewed 200 studies that compared the health benefits of organic foods to conventional foods and the results were surprising: There were no clearly distinguishable benefits of eating organic foods, whether measured by preventing disease or an assessment of overall health. Specific to weight loss, a random comparison of organic to non-organic foods found no significant difference in nutritional information, including calories.

The fad-free truth: More research on organic foods needs to be conducted. There's no doubt organic foods have fewer pesticides and toxins, the real question is if the sometimes-small difference in toxins makes any scientifically significant difference on your health. More importantly, labeling a food as organic does not mean its weight-loss friendly. Organic sources of sugar are still sugar. And organic products loaded with 1,000 calories are still 1,000 calories. If you want to reduce the potential of anything bad entering your body, feel free to purchase organic products but still keep an eye on the label.

Why would anyone think that organic means weight loss friendly? Do people not know what that word means? There are benefits of organic, especially environmental and social reasons... but who buys organic to lose weight lol, that doesn't make any sense!!!! Who's saying that you'll lose weight on organic food, who??!

Maybe driving all day in a prius will help me lose more weight, instead of driving all day in my SUV, which everyone knows causes weight gain.

A lot of people believe this actually. They've done studies where they've shown people the exact same food items, with one labeled organic, and the majority of people will assign a lower caloric value to the one labled organic.

And my mom is one those kinds of people. When I first started eating healthier and staying within a specific calorie amount, she once offered me some ice cream she had made. When I told her that I couldn't because I didn't have the calories for it, she told me that this ice cream was fine for that because she'd made it using organic whole cream and organic sugar.

My mom is not a stupid woman, nor is she ignorant about food, in fact, she's one of the best home chefs I've ever seen/known and has worked in kitchens in France. But years prior she had read a bunch of books about how much better and how much healthier organic was, so she associated that with lower calorie as well.

She has since been re-educated. ;)
  • wolfchild59
    6. Exercise on an empty stomach.
    If you exercise with a high intensity, there's nothing worse than feeling sick to your stomach because you felt forced to eat before you hit the gym or pavement. There's a lot of science that shows eating before a workout is important, but "before a workout" is a much wider time range than you might think.

In the simplest sense, your digestive process is very complicated. When you eat, the food does not go directly to your muscles or your gut. It takes time-a lot of time, in fact. So if you eat many hours before you train, there's still plenty of fuel to help you perform and feel great.

The fad-free truth: Research published in the International Journal of Sport Nutrition and Exercise Metabolism found that the protein you eat digests anywhere between one gram per hour and 10 grams per hour. So if you have a meal consisting of 25 grams of protein, that meal could last in your system for up to 25 hours. Hydration level and sleep patterns also play a significant role in performance, so make sure you're well rested and have plenty to drink, and then eat when it feels best for your body, even if it means a small meal or no meal at all.

Exercising on an empty stomach is a really easy way for me to feel sick by the end of the workout, unusually fatigued the rest of the day, and to consistently bonk runs.

But I also don't eat and then immediately work out either, like it seems to suggest that people do and is bad. I eat my meal, wait 1 to 2 hours for it to not be sitting heavy in my gut and then I work out. Stretch that time out to three or four hours before I work out, and I still lose energy partway through the workout.

I think most of the list makes sense, but none of it is exact and/or applicable to all parties. I'd like to see some sources sited and have multiple studies, along with opposing studies, linked to their claims. I'm not saying I disagree with it, in fact I do personally agree with a lot of it. But there are just always going to be differences and there is no right or wrong to any of this. So for an article that claims to be backed by science, it actually seems a little shady.
  • ebgbjo
    ebgbjo Posts: 821 Member
    As far as breakfast goes and still Americans being heavy, that is because many Americans who started eating breakfast are eating unhealthy breakfasts. Just because you eat breakfast doesn't mean you will be healthy, especially if it is pure crap.
  • born2drum
    born2drum Posts: 731 Member
    the only way to gain fat is if you eat more than you're supposed to. Don't see why a huge breakfast would prompt the storage of fat. Potentially, only peridocially (temporarily) maybe.

• 9. Going organic won't help with weight loss.
    I love my local farmer's market, and I always do my best to purchase products from the best sources. That said, slapping "organic" on a label does not mean it will help you lose weight, and in some instances it won't even guarantee that a food is healthy. Research published in the Annal of Internal Medicine reviewed 200 studies that compared the health benefits of organic foods to conventional foods and the results were surprising: There were no clearly distinguishable benefits of eating organic foods, whether measured by preventing disease or an assessment of overall health. Specific to weight loss, a random comparison of organic to non-organic foods found no significant difference in nutritional information, including calories.

The fad-free truth: More research on organic foods needs to be conducted. There's no doubt organic foods have fewer pesticides and toxins, the real question is if the sometimes-small difference in toxins makes any scientifically significant difference on your health. More importantly, labeling a food as organic does not mean its weight-loss friendly. Organic sources of sugar are still sugar. And organic products loaded with 1,000 calories are still 1,000 calories. If you want to reduce the potential of anything bad entering your body, feel free to purchase organic products but still keep an eye on the label.

Why would anyone think that organic means weight loss friendly? Do people not know what that word means? There are benefits of organic, especially environmental and social reasons... but who buys organic to lose weight lol, that doesn't make any sense!!!! Who's saying that you'll lose weight on organic food, who??!

Maybe driving all day in a prius will help me lose more weight, instead of driving all day in my SUV, which everyone knows causes weight gain.

My favorite are the people who only buy organic, but still eat things like organic potato chips and candy on the regular.

It's sad that they think they;re doing any better than me eating my Doritos while they're still eating their highly-processed organic crap.
  • It's nice to know that working night shift and eating at odd and inconsistent hours has no effect on my metabolism or losing weight! Thanks for sharing!
  • SummerSmiles07
    SummerSmiles07 Posts: 23 Member
    Bump
  • TOPSmarca
    TOPSmarca Posts: 187 Member
    BUMP.... saving it for reference!!!! Thanks for sharing!!!
  • tstarrstamper
    tstarrstamper Posts: 24 Member
    I am at a weight loss clinic with a Nutritionist who specializes in weight loss and almost every single one of these are exactly the opposite of what I have been told.
  • wolfchild59
    But also keep in mind that anyone can call themselves a nutritionist. No special schooling or certification is needed to use that term to describe yourself for a job.

I could go out tomorrow, rent an office space, start calling myself a nutritionist, and charge people to tell them how I think they should eat.

So don't always put faith in a nutritionist either, since often their sources are about as credible as this article.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Bump to read tomorrow.
  • Wooly_I_am
    Wooly_I_am Posts: 109
    All you have to do is hit your total calories in a 24 hour period. It doesn't matter when you have them it's all pretty much correct. Hell, I know people that eat 1 meal a day....that's it!
  • Cinloykko
    Cinloykko Posts: 117 Member
    BUMP
    this was very interesting :-)
  • Cindyinpg
    Cindyinpg Posts: 3,902 Member
    Not so unbelievable. Good, plain, common sense. Nice read. :smile:
  • JPO1980
    JPO1980 Posts: 34 Member
    I am still a firm believer that skipping breakfast can leave you starved by lunch or dinner. It would seem better to burn off that what you eat early and allow it to fuel your body throughout the day.

I agree is can leave some hungrier. But it's not true for everyone. Some people feel hungrier when they eat earilier, and some simply eat more calories than if they waited until later to start eating. Science also backs that up.

Which way is "better" depends on which way keeps your calories in control.

*This - Eating Early just makes me hungrier and I end up consuming more calories - if I eat when I first feel hungry I eat 2 meals and less overall calories
    Everyone is different, so do whatever works for you x
  • madprice19
    madprice19 Posts: 2 Member
    Bump
  • FixIngMe13
    FixIngMe13 Posts: 405 Member
    Bump
  • Sul3i
    Sul3i Posts: 553 Member
    Like*