Easy way to get in veggies?

Options
13»

Replies

• elaanne
    elaanne Posts: 35
    Options
    I eat a big salad for lunch every day (I use mason jars, too, as someone else said - you can prep four salads all at once, and they keep very well in the fridge).

I steam, grill, or sauté at least 2 veggies with dinner every night. Currently, I'm really into grilled eggplant and zucchini, or sautéed zucchini, mushrooms, and onions.

I find that, once it becomes habit to include the veggies, you don't have to think about it as much - you just automatically include it. Good luck! Adding more veggies is probably the single most useful thing I have done in my weight loss journey.
  • danasings
    danasings Posts: 8,218 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the ideas.

Re-reading my post, I get that it seems like a super dumb question. I just am at a loss for ideas.

I don't think it's a dumb question at all. If you're not used to incorporating veggies into your meals, you don't know how to eat more of them. I chop up peppers and onions and put them in almost everything...ground beef, chicken, eggs, salads, etc. (raw in salads, grilled in everything else). Also, I throw a handful of spinach into/on to almost everything I eat. I am not a real veggie lover, but I try to get 4-5 servings a day and eat at least five salads a week. Good luck!! :)
  • sandy_gee
    sandy_gee Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    Through your mooooouth.

I love veggies. I just bring in raw veggies to the office I work at and munch all day long. I never could get in with the blender thing, because for some reason it creeps me out a little to drink mushed veggies.
    I do like the v8 low sodium vegetable shots as well though. And lunch for me is usually a huge spinach salad with about 100g of baked chicken breast cut up on it.

ETA: Kale chips - make them yourself! Just a spritz of olive oil and some seasoning on cut up kale and bake!

I also love baked cauliflower. And I HATE raw cauliflower. Broken to like 1 inch ish pieces, I spray a tiny bit of olive oil on them, a bit of NoSalt Seasoning, I also add a bit of dried feta for flavor then bake it all in a pan until the edges are browning. Then I like to splash some hot sauce on it. I'll eat an entire half a head for dinner. NOMNOMNOM
  • Cindy4FunFit
    Cindy4FunFit Posts: 2,732 Member
    Options
    My new summer favorite is raw cauliflower with Old Bay Seasoning (the stuff you put on seafood-like shrimp) with cocktail sauce. It's awesome!!
  • JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    Put them on your pizza. :drinker:
  • danasings
    danasings Posts: 8,218 Member
    Options
    Put them on your pizza. :drinker:

Yes!!!! :drinker:
  • Candi_land
    Candi_land Posts: 1,311 Member
    Options
    I dislike most veggies.

When I started on here I considered putting a single piece of lettuce with ketchup (because tomato duh) on my bacon cheeseburger "eating my veggies".

I love to cook, and I've found ways of seasoning them and hiding them in foods full of flavor to get them down. Also smoothies work for me, I'll mix with my magic bullet (not the fun kind) almond milk (or regular skim), chocolate protein powder, something green like kale or spinach (sometimes both), a banana, frozen fruit (strawberries, mixed berries, pineapple etc..) and a crap load of ice. It usually turns out to be an ugly greenish baby poop color but it does taste good, and it's a great way to get in the greens.

Also, zucchini slices dipped in light ranch or roasted red pepper hummus isn't totally *kitten*.
  • kaseysospacey
    kaseysospacey Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    i like to cook 2 c of frozen broccoli, and a chopped bell pepper in my wok with a bit of braggs liquid aminos...super low cal and delicious
  • minizebu
    minizebu Posts: 2,716 Member
    Options
    Easy snack full of Vitamin A #1:
    Season 1/2 cup (122g) of pumpkin (NOT pumpkin pie mix) with a touch of maple syrup and cloves (or your favorite sweetener and spice) and you have a pumpkin-pie-esque snack of less than 50 calories. Yes, I eat it straight out the can without heating it. Yes. Yes, I do.

Easy snack full of Vitamin A #2:
    Place two cups of raw baby spinach (85g) in a microwavable bowl and sprinkle it wit a couple of tablespoons of water or so. Then microwave on high for a minute or ninety seconds. Stir it down if it isn't cooked fully (depends on the microwave) and then microwave it again until it is cooked. Be sure to drink the "pot liquor" (the water left in the bowl after you drain the spinach), as it contains a lot of the nutrients that came out of the spinach when you cooked it.
  • bluejeansarah
    bluejeansarah Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain! I'm the same way, I'd always pick fruit over veggies any day. To make my life more hilarious, I've been a vegetarian for 6 months now and struggle with vegetables almost daily. I forced myself to try a lot of new veggies and now I'm finding that some of them are sticking long-term (which is good!)

When I do fruit smoothies (for breakfast or lunch) I always add in at least 1/2 cup of spinach, sometimes a full cup. My smoothies also have berries, plain or vanilla flavoured greek yogurt, ground flax seed, chia seeds, skim milk and sometimes a splash of OJ. I'm also in the habit now of adding in veggies to a lot of my 'main' dishes; when I make a homemade mac n' cheese, I always add grated carrots, shredded zucchini or broccoli for example. If you puree veggies, you can add them to a lot of sauces and not really know they're there. Kind of like tricking yourself. :)

If you start to sneak veggies in more other foods, it might come more naturally to eat veggies. I know it has for me. And then you feel less forced to eat them for every snack of the day.