Is cardio making my thighs bulky?

Options
2»

Replies

• scottaworley
    scottaworley Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    I wish I could bulk on a deficit without steroids..
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    ....what was wrong with my last reply? About how she should keep lifting and she'd get there? And tough chicks are awesome?
    lol beats me but I thankfully read it and appreciated it :happy: :flowerforyou:

I wish moderators left a note when they clean out a thread so people don't get confused or at least suggest there's another side of a debate getting left out. That's several pages gone now. Mind you in this case I don't think it matters, but I hate it when people request particular sides of a story get removed.
  • Doone33
    Doone33 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    As a semi serious answer to this...I have what my family call Aitutaki thighs...I'm an islander, my genes are destined to make me 'solid'.
    I lift.
    My legs are not bulky they are fricking awesome.
    Muscle compacts more than fat.
    I hate to say it, but you gotta be cray cray if you're eating at a deficit and doing cardio and think your legs are getting bigger while the rest of you is getting smaller.
    Have you actually taken measurements?

I would measure myself... LOL.. sometimes in our weight loss journey we tend to lose weight in some places... yet making other places look larger than before.... I have had other girls say this before... I had a boyfriend reply.. shes not gotten bigger.. shes gotten thinner and noticing herself! OUCH... but maybe it is the truth!
  • ShadeyC
    ShadeyC Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    ....what was wrong with my last reply? About how she should keep lifting and she'd get there? And tough chicks are awesome?
    lol beats me but I thankfully read it and appreciated it :happy: :flowerforyou:

I wish moderators left a note when they clean out a thread so people don't get confused or at least suggest there's another side of a debate getting left out. That's several pages gone now. Mind you in this case I don't think it matters, but I hate it when people request particular sides of a story get removed.

Well at least you got to see it :)
    And I understand why they removed the rest. But I do miss science :P
  • ericdcruz118
    ericdcruz118 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Since I have started my weight loss journey (about 5 months ago) I have concentrated mainly on cardio paired with some body weight exercises. I will do 30 minutes of cardio on the eliptical at a decent resistance (4 out of 10). Or I will run on the treadmill alternating light jogging with a 30 second sprint.

The only strength I have done for my legs is a few body weight exercises like lunges, squats, leg raises etc.

Is the cardio making my quads really bulky? My stomach is small, my butt is small, but my thighs can't even fit into my jeans - they are too big.

My calves have also gotten HUGE.

the answer is no. cardio isn't making your quads huge.
  • ShadeyC
    Options
    As a semi serious answer to this...I have what my family call Aitutaki thighs...I'm an islander, my genes are destined to make me 'solid'.
    I lift.
    I hate to say it, but you gotta be cray cray if you're eating at a deficit and doing cardio and think your legs are getting bigger while the rest of you is getting smaller.

I would measure myself... LOL.. sometimes in our weight loss journey we tend to lose weight in some places... yet making other places look larger than before.... I have had other girls say this before... I had a boyfriend reply.. shes not gotten bigger.. shes gotten thinner and noticing herself! OUCH... but maybe it is the truth!

:)
    yep, measurements make more sense than the scales often.
    I'm not sure what's ouch about a boyfriend sticking up for you? Or did I read that wrong?
  • CoderGal
    Options
    I lift.

I'm not sure what's ouch about a boyfriend sticking up for you? Or did I read that wrong?
    Yup, people can feel like something looks disproportionately large or small depending on how they lose weight. Genes being a big factor here. I shrank in the waist and my *kitten* and hips stayed huge and only shrunk slightly be it with cardio or lifting or sitting on my *kitten*. My legs stayed scrawny. It seems the first thing that wants to change on me is my waist.
  • ShadeyC
    Options
    I lift.

Yup, people can feel like something looks disproportionately large or small depending on how they lose weight. Genes being a big factor here. I shrank in the waist and my *kitten* and hips stayed huge and only shrunk slightly be it with cardio or lifting or sitting on my *kitten*. My legs stayed scrawny. It seems the first thing that wants to change on me is my waist.

My problem is actually my top half, which is weird considering the rest of my family have the thigh and butt problem. The bottom half of me dropped way quicker than the top. I suppose I shouldn't complain because I got to keep my boobs.
    But I had (and still have) to keep buying new pants because I'm shrinking without the scales moving much.
    Hence the measurements.

I do think the OP should measure first for awhile...
  • CoderGal
    Options
    I lift.

My problem is actually my top half, which is weird considering the rest of my family have the thigh and butt problem. The bottom half of me dropped way quicker than the top. I suppose I shouldn't complain because I got to keep my boobs.
    But I had (and still have) to keep buying new pants because I'm shrinking without the scales moving much.
    Hence the measurements.

One thing I'll point out is weight loss isn't linear, even on the measuring tape. We grow and shrink throughout the day for many reasons. Particularly when exercising. I see a lot of 'but I'm getting fatter' threads from people who obsessively measure themselves over a very short period of time.
  • kimosabe1
    kimosabe1 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Options
    measure yourself! it's not fat-muscle!
  • ShadeyC
    Options
    I lift.

Hence the measurements.

One thing I'll point out is weight loss isn't linear, even on the measuring tape. We grow and shrink throughout the day for many reasons. Particularly when exercising. I see a lot of 'but I'm getting fatter' threads from people who obsessively measure themselves over a very short period of time.

Well lets be honest, no one should be weighing or measuring everyday, and i suspect some of them are...
  • kem05
    kem05 Posts: 97
    Options
    That 'rexic look is nasty.

Indeed. And strong thighs are hot. On anyone!