Whiskey, Bourbon, or Scotch

Options

Replies

• Southern_Belle_LA
    Southern_Belle_LA Posts: 931 Member
    Options
    Jameson!! I got to go to the distillery in Dublin this summer and had Jameson and Ginger for breakfast and shots after the tour for lunch!
    I went to the one in Midleton County Cork...Had the tour only 6 of us on it so we all got to do the tasting...my daughter wouldn't drink it so I got doubles!! I do believe it was the best day of my life!!!!

Nice!
  • littlegem65
    littlegem65 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Whiskey-Templeton Rye

I've read so many good reviews on that! Apparently it was the whiskey of choice to Al Capone

It's our family's favorite!

Templeton Rye refers to rye whiskey originally made in Templeton, Iowa during the prohibition era as a way for farmers in the Carroll County area to supplement their income.[1] Amber in color, it was considered to be of particularly high quality and was popular in Chicago, Omaha, and Kansas City speakeasies.[2] It was said to be the mobster Al Capone's favourite drink.[3] More recently "Templeton Rye" has been introduced as a brand of whiskey that its producer claims is based on a prohibition-era recipe. Distribution outside of Iowa began in August 2007.[4] Templeton Rye is distilled and aged at Lawrenceburg Distillers[5] in Lawrenceburg, Indiana and is shipped to Iowa by tanker truck. It is then bottled at an Iowa facility. Lawrenceburg Distillers is a wholly owned subsidiary of MGP Ingredients,[6] a corporation headquartered in Atchison, Kansas.
  • SrJoben
    SrJoben Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    aren't bourbon and scotch both whiskey?

so i think this is a trick question....

regardless, I like the Gentlemen Jack. I like Crown, I like Wild Turkey and Johnny Walker (all colors of labels)

But I will drink most anything. It's not like I'm a snob

My understanding is that Bourbon is distilled once, Scotch is Distilled twice and Whiskey is distilled 3 times.

Me, being Irish, i would only ever choose Whiskey. Jamesons or Bushmills

No.

Whiskey (or whisky) is a generic term. It basically just means a spirit distilled from grain and aged in barrels.

The common subtypes are defined by variations in the grain used and the ways it is aged. Number of times distilled is not a part of any official definition that I know of, although there are traditions on the subject.

Here are the cliff notes for some of the most popular ones:

Bourbon Whiskey - The majority of the grain has to be corn. It must be aged in new charred oak barrels Must be made in the USA.

Scotch Whisky - Must be made in Scotland. Traditionally, though not always, made from barley that has been malted over peat fires. Is then aged in oak barrels. (Which interestingly enough are often ones previously used for Bourbon)

Canadian Whisky - It has to be made in Canada and it has to be whisky. They don't seem too particular up north.
  • GGDaddy
    GGDaddy Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    Corn juice for me...

bulleit-10.jpg
  • Jonesingmucho
    Jonesingmucho Posts: 4,902 Member
    Options
    All yummy! I will drink any of them.

x whispers x
    And no haters please, but I really like Seagram's 7 and 7-up LOL
  • hararayne
    hararayne Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    New Amsterdam Gin. Cheap, Smooth, Awesome!
  • TheSlorax
    TheSlorax Posts: 2,401 Member
    Options
    Glad no one's said Kessler or Canadian Mist... safe to assume everyone in this thread has graduated from high school
  • brandynot
    brandynot Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    bourbon whiskey - old (pappy) rip van winkle
    Irish Whiskey - Jameson

Both are favs...but of course Jameson is much more affordable so its my go-to for the most part...Pappy is for special occasions. :happy:
  • qweenovme
    qweenovme Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    JAMESON- On occasion right from the bottle!
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options

Excellent choice
  • CharlotteTheCoffeeLover
    CharlotteTheCoffeeLover Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    Wild Turkey American Honey....whiskey
  • CookNLift
    CookNLift Posts: 3,660 Member
    Options
    Had Gentleman Jack and Diet one day, was a really nice alternative to JD.

Been wanting to try Angel's Envy and Buffalo Trace but don't know how it is.
  • blah2989
    blah2989 Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    Seagrams seven crown whiskey mmmmm.
  • ice1200s
    ice1200s Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    You guys made me thirsty, so I'm headed for the cupboard right now!
  • clairemarie1016
    clairemarie1016 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Lagavulin Distillers Edition or Bowmore 17 Yr. Old
  • Factory_Reset
    Factory_Reset Posts: 1,651 Member
    Options
    Makers makes the magic happen at our house :wink:
  • Primrose_au
    Primrose_au Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    :) thanks for the great ideas for our UK visit.
  • GGDaddy
    GGDaddy Posts: 289 Member
    Options

Excellent choice

Excellent choice indeed!

Still waiting for my bottle. Not a lot sold to my state, it's a one year waiting list :cry:
  • TheEffort
    TheEffort Posts: 1,028 Member
    Options
    Kentucky Bourbon - Wild Turkey 101

8488541.png
  • robdel302
    robdel302 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    All the love for Jameson and no one has mentioned Red Breast? It's from the same distillers but tastes even better IMO. A glass of that in a snifter is outstanding. All we have where I'm deployed is Jameson but my glancairn glass really brings out some of the different notes. People say I'm crazy with special glasses in the desert but we only get three drinks a day so I make sure I enjoy it.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/larryolmsted/2012/06/04/my-favorite-irish-whiskey-is-back-and-better-than-ever/