86lbs...no appetite

Options
2»

Replies

• cmcollins001
    cmcollins001 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options
    Before anyone can give advice, they may need a little more information about you. How tall are you, what are your normal eating habits, are you recovering from an ED, are you seeing a doctor, is it that you just forget to eat, do you have a healthy relationship with food, basically, the more information you care to share, the better information you'll get in return.

Otherwise...

People will just start spouting what they assume your problem is based on their own personal experiences.
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    If you have an eating disorder, the best thing to do would be to seek professional help. If you don't have an eating disorder, the best thing to do would still be to seek professional help (and perhaps look into products like Ensure). Either way, I think you're going to accept that you need to eat regardless of your appetite. If you can manage to eat the amount that your body needs, you will probably find that your appetite returns.
  • Fithealthyforlife
    Fithealthyforlife Posts: 866 Member
    Options
    Assuming no medical issues (diagnosed or not yet diagnosed) that would cause a decrease in appetite, I've found the best way to stimulate appetite is to eat more meals per day, move around a little every so often if you're not, and do some strength training. Eat soon after you become hungry, and never eat until you're stuffed. I recommend eating a meal of at least 400-500 calories every 2-4 hours.
  • chantels1
    chantels1 Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    Before anyone can give advice, they may need a little more information about you. How tall are you, what are your normal eating habits, are you recovering from an ED, are you seeing a doctor, is it that you just forget to eat, do you have a healthy relationship with food, basically, the more information you care to share, the better information you'll get in return.

Otherwise...

People will just start spouting what they assume your problem is based on their own personal experiences.

This is awesome!
  • Pixi_Rex
    Pixi_Rex Posts: 1,676 Member
    Options
    There are people on MFP trying to recover from eating disorders. Chill with the meth comments and such.

OP...talk to your physician and see if they can direct you to a registered dietitian. Also seek counseling if you are recovering from an ED if you aren't already. Ask about support groups and hotlines. You can also search for free hotlines to call in to find services if you aren't talking to a counselor and are unsure how to go about finding one.

ETA: And all of you do know you are in the GAINING WEIGHT part of the forums where those looking to gain weight (bulkers, ED recoveries) post to get info, right?

This is all fantastic information, I agree with it completely.
  • east2west14
    east2west14 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    There are people on MFP trying to recover from eating disorders. Chill with the meth comments and such.

OP...talk to your physician and see if they can direct you to a registered dietitian. Also seek counseling if you are recovering from an ED if you aren't already. Ask about support groups and hotlines. You can also search for free hotlines to call in to find services if you aren't talking to a counselor and are unsure how to go about finding one.

ETA: And all of you do know you are in the GAINING WEIGHT part of the forums where those looking to gain weight (bulkers, ED recoveries) post to get info, right?

420 is not meth. Just want to put that out there. I didn't see anyone that recommended she'd take meth, maybe I missed it.
  • metacognition
    metacognition Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    Do what heavy people avoid doing in order to lose weight.

1. Drink your calories. Your body can't release a "full" signal in the time it takes to down two glasses of orange juice.

2. Calorie dense high fat food. Consider homemade weight gainer shakes with things like peanut butter and avocado in them.

3. High sugar low fiber foods every few hours. They will spike your insulin and leave you hungry quickly after. It's not healthy to do this...

These are not good habits to have but they make weight gain a breeze if that's what you are looking for.
  • FixIngMe13
    FixIngMe13 Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    DRINK ENSURE, NUTRAMENTS GALORE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

^ This.

We use this in the hospital. Especially because of the nutrients and with those that are ill they really need those nutrients, AND it does pack on the weight slowly.

:flowerforyou: Hope you find your balance. Wishing you the very best.
  • Carmella9
    Carmella9 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Do the opposite of what most of us are trying to do, set a high calorie goal and make sure you meet it everyday, regardless if you are hungry or not eat whatever you have prepared. You may forget to eat sometimes but when you get in a routine of having breakfast, am snack, lunch, pm snack, dinner, desert youll soon start seeing results (aslong as the food you are eating is fairly high cal).

Also do you have a very active lifestyle?
    If it persists see your doctor as you could even have an thyroid problem causes you to loose weight
  • Leijing
    Leijing Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain. I weigh a little over 90 lbs--and most of that is bone and muscle--and I have had problems of just plain not being hungry. Exercise will help add to your appetite, but that wasn't ever enough for me either.

Recently I've been trying products from the nutrition company Genesis Pure. Their "Cleanse, Balance, Build" set is liquid nutrients from plants and your body can actually absorb them better than multivitamin tablets. I've been taking them for about a month and I have started to notice that I have more energy and appetite.