This is scary. Woman dies of heart attack at gym

Options
http://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local/Woman-Dies-Planet-Fitness-Gym-Long-Island-Bay-Shore-Worker-Fails-Respond-Lawsuit-Emily-Hamlin-213035521.html

In the video, the woman appears to be thin. You just don't think that someone like her would have a heart attack. The article states that she had an undetected heart condition. Get your physicals (stress test or whatever it's called)!

The main part of this story is that the stupid gym employee didn't call for help until five minutes later after a second person told him that she needed help.

Replies

• eblakes93
    eblakes93 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    "Charnas also said the gym did not have an automated external defibrillator or an employee certified in the operation of AEDs on site at the time, as the law requires."

So much about this story is awful, but this ESPECIALLY gets to me.
  • GetSoda
    GetSoda Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    Physicals find heart conditions?
  • eblakes93
    eblakes93 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    Physicals find heart conditions?

At least she is encouraging people to go get a check-up.
  • Erica_theRedhead
    Erica_theRedhead Posts: 724 Member
    Options
    It's definitely a sad story. I don't understand how you can be a work out area, and not have a defibrillator or someone trained to handle an emergency like this on site. People are pushing themselves and elevating their heart rates and breathing rates. Safety 101, and I believe that it is illegal. Pretty sure PF is liable for what happened.
  • jmayerovitch
    jmayerovitch Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    This is tragic, but a guy running a desk at a gym is not a lifeguard. Most 24-gyms aren'ts staffed at all times anyways and generally have signs (and make members sign agreements) saying that they understand they exercise at their own risk. I'm certainly not saying he was in the right not to call 911, but he wasn't the only person in that gym and we don't know all the details about what the first woman told him. Also, I guarantee you there was someone (probably even closer to the locker room) who had a cell phone.

It's true that AEDs are required to be on site, but I'm a little skeptical about the requirement for a "trainer operator" at all times. How could places like Anytime Fitness operate?
  • wolfgate
    wolfgate Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    It is scary, and it happens. I was in the gym many years ago and they carried a guy, mid 30s, out with the paramedics doing CPR. He didn't make it. Made for a pretty quiet week at the gym. Still crowded, but the tone was different. I didn't hear of anybody who stopped going (at least among the regulars) because of it though.
  • blueyegrl
    blueyegrl Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    Two things that stood out the most to me, the first woman nonchalantly walking up to the desk to report her collapsing (um, perhaps step it up a bit) and two the guy not calling 911 right away. Fine, you can't go in the bathroom, but call 911 at the very least!! Planet Fitness sucks on so many levels, but this takes the cake.
  • GetSoda
    GetSoda Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    second question: why didn't any of the frantic customers call 911?
  • JUDDDing
    JUDDDing Posts: 1,367 Member
    Options
    Wow. That's sad.

Although, on the video, the first lady, Stephanie, doesn't seem too worried - she kid of just walks up to the desk and seems to talk calmly. The other lady projects a sense of urgency throughout and he finally actually does something.

Even if not legally, given the limited info here, I think Stephanie shares quite a bit of responsibility.

But yeah, definitely get your physicals and consider a stress test.

And if you find someone having a problem - be aggressive and do your Red Cross "Check, Call, Care" routine.
  • Erica_theRedhead
    Erica_theRedhead Posts: 724 Member
    Options
    It's true that AEDs are required to be on site, but I'm a little skeptical about the requirement for a "trainer operator" at all times. How could places like Anytime Fitness operate?

I learned how to use an AED in high school. It's extremely easy, and I believe it is a requirement for anyone working in a fitness center to know how to operate one, especially if you are to be the sole employee.

That being said, I'm agreeing with these other comments about the first girl being nonchalant about it. She could have def done a bit more...
  • wolfgate
    wolfgate Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    After watching the video, I'll modify my thoughts a bit. The guy at the desk blew it. Worst case he could have asked first lady to make sure no other women were indecent in the locker room and gone in to check on the victim. That's common sense. Not right to hide behind that policy
  • JUDDDing
    JUDDDing Posts: 1,367 Member
    Options

YMCA's have trained people.

One of my local ones just recently used one to save a guy in his early 40's.

http://www.kptm.com/story/23034903/ymca-employees-honored-for-saving-life
  • KathleenMurry
    KathleenMurry Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    That could have been me a year ago! Before I wanted to start racing, my mom made me get my heart checked out (that was 2008) Turned out I had a life threatening heart condition and I had to call all the hard training and races off.

You would never think a slim, fit, young woman would need heart surgery, but I did last summer. And now, cured!

Getting a physical will not figure out if you have a heart problem. You have to request special testing. I recommend everyone do that.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    Death comes to us all. Sad that it came to her early, but we all will get our walking papers.

That's why I do all the things and drink all the beer now. I doubt there is any up in heaven.
  • Faery_Dust
    Faery_Dust Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    It's very scary. While yes it can happen to anyone as many people could have an underlying heart condition they are un-aware off, I think the lack of the gyms staff that are trained in basic first aid is the scariest. I'd kind of always assumed my gym always had someone there who was trained in basic first aid emergency treatment but that obviously isn't the case in that gym so I will be checking!

But yeah that first woman doesn't seem too concerned does she, I mean get a jog on!
  • PapaverSomniferum
    PapaverSomniferum Posts: 2,677 Member
    Options
    Let me take this opportunity to suggest we all get CPR and First Aid certified. Because any time you're around people, whether it's at the gym, or in a restaurant, at your place of work, or just walking down the street--- unexpected emergencies can happen.

Maybe if wouldn't have made a difference if the lady who first noticed the incident knew CPR and was able to use her phone to contact 911 immediately. Maybe it would have made all the difference.

Certification classes are often inexpensive or free at local community centers.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,574 Member
    Options
    A couple of months ago this happened in our gym. A senior stepped off an elliptical and fell on the floor with an apparent heart attack. One of my peers, jumped in right away (she was PTing at the time) and started CPR right away after assessing there was no pulse and no heartbeat, while another grabbed the defibulator. Both saved the man's life.
    I'm more than sure if I was still working at 24 Hour Fitness, this probably wouldn't be the case since most people that work there aren't CPR certified or trained.

EDIT: Also, there is NO REASON strong enough to convince me that everyone should have a physical check up once a year to assess their basic health.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    Let me take this opportunity to suggest we all get CPR and First Aid certified. Because any time you're around people, whether it's at the gym, or in a restaurant, at your place of work, or just walking down the street--- unexpected emergencies can happen.

Maybe if wouldn't have made a difference if the lady who first noticed the incident knew CPR and was able to use her phone to contact 911 immediately. Maybe it would have made all the difference.

Only thing I would add is to be aware of potential liability. Some states still don't have Good Samaritan laws.
  • teamAmelia
    teamAmelia Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    That could have been me a year ago! Before I wanted to start racing, my mom made me get my heart checked out (that was 2008) Turned out I had a life threatening heart condition and I had to call all the hard training and races off.

You would never think a slim, fit, young woman would need heart surgery, but I did last summer. And now, cured!

Getting a physical will not figure out if you have a heart problem. You have to request special testing. I recommend everyone do that.
    Yeah, you guys know what I meant. LOL. I obviously haven't gotten a stress test, but I am going to stop putting it off and make an appt this wk. And, I'm glad that you're okay, though. I bet your mom is never going to let you hear the end of it. "I TOLD YOU IN 2008 TO GET YOUR HEART CHECKED OUT!!!" LOL
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options

Only thing I would add is to be aware of potential liability. Some states still don't have Good Samaritan laws.

This... In this sue happy country I wouldn't touch anyone unfortunately.