Does counting carbs really matter?

Options

Replies

• NovemberJune
    NovemberJune Posts: 2,525 Member
    Options
    Just sharing personal experience. I have always eaten around 200-300 grams of carbs per day and I haven't had difficulty losing weight at all. IMO, you only need to worry about calories and getting enough protein. If you get enough protein and stay under your calorie goal, eat however many carbs you like.
  • 3nchantress
    Options
    I don't bother with counting and it hasn't interfered at all. The only thing is that if I'm eating a lot of refined carbs it's really hard to stay within my calorie goal, so opting for whole grains and less pasta, rice, and potatoes is a part of how I manage my day's calories. My husband is also watching what he eats and consumes way more bread and rice, and hardly any veggies, and is struggling with a plateau. Pretty sure it's because of what he's eating, even if he is still keeps within his calorie goal. Been urging him to try taking more veggies in his lunches instead of the sandwiches, but, well, he doesn't like veggies :P
  • helpfit101
    helpfit101 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    No it doesn't matter.

Yes do stay above 50g, but that's fairly easy. A sandwich or some rice now and again goes a long way. You need carbs for energy, like for workouts or just to feel like you can do what you need to do and not be too tired.

Other than that try to eat mostly fats and protein. They are really useful for your body in other ways.

So don't worry about counting it all, eat what fits in your calorie total and make a good chunk of it fats and protein and you're good.
  • Healthy_4_Life2
    Healthy_4_Life2 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    NOPE under or over I still loose weight but I have to pay attention to my sodium that can make a HUGE DIFFERENCE IN MY WEIGHT:mad:

^^^^^This
  • grrrlface
    grrrlface Posts: 1,204 Member
    Options
    I eat 100-150g of carbs a day - by accident. I have quite a high protein/fat diet and carbs are last on my list, to the point where I don't count them.

But I've found what works for me and I can do it without trying so my diet and weight loss has become very easy for me now.

It's all about finding the right balance for you and only you will know when you've found it.
  • 3nchantress
    Options
    NOPE under or over I still loose weight but I have to pay attention to my sodium that can make a HUGE DIFFERENCE IN MY WEIGHT:mad:

^^^^^This

Yep. It's amazing how quick I'll balloon up if I have a higher salt intake day :/
  • Pixi_Rex
    Pixi_Rex Posts: 1,676 Member
    Options
    For some people it makes a huge difference, for most people its not necessary.

I currently try and keep my carbs between 100 and 120, not because I want to but because my doctor is trying to figure some things out and has asked me to do this for 6 months. Does it make a difference? For me, my weight is stagnant most of the time - seriously stuck (which why my doctor is involved, that and he thinks it might make a difference for my thyroid issues) and changing carbs hasn't made a huge difference in that department, however; I can say I stay fuller longer,
  • deb3129
    deb3129 Posts: 1,294 Member
    Options
    My carbs are in excess of 200 almost every day, and I have lost a lot of weight. I have never worried about how many carbs I am eating, and it seems to be working out.
  • TheresaDathome
    Options
    Carbs make a difference for me. I went to Medi Weight Loss, and they told me my carbs do not process but go right to fat cells. I am not supposed to have any more than 39 grams of carbs a day. Impossible! Everything has carbs. I'm doomed before I even start!
  • toscarthearmada
    toscarthearmada Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I've lost 101 pounds watching my carbs, but I also have diabetes and PCOS. I guess if you don't have a medical condition, you don't have to.
  • fleetzz
    fleetzz Posts: 962 Member
    Options
    Again, except for 3 days in the past 3 months my intake has been consistently net 1200 calories.

If you look at my diary I have scant processed foods and measure to the gram so underestimating intake I think is a rare problem. I agree that overestimation of calories burned can be an issue so I try to not eat back all of the calories. However, I was doing low carb and was losing great and since I introduced carbs the loss of 1 lbs a week stalled.

It sounds like you are telling me that my maintenance net calories is 1200. So if i want to lose I need to go lower.
    Give me some advice as to why my weight loss has stalled then. I am stumped. Gained .2 lbs in 2 months,

I wouldn't call that a gain...most people have natural body weight fluctuations of 3-5 Lbs day to day due to water retention/release, food in/out, etc. You are maintaining...which means you are eating a maintenance level of calories. This could be due to what would appear to be pretty radical inconsistency in your intake, overestimation of calorie burn, underestimating intake (i.e. not weighing/measuring...just guestimating...also if you eat out a lot or eat a lot of processed foods, calorie counts can be substantially off).

It has nothing to due with carbs...I ate plenty of carbs during my losing due to they provide awesome jet fuel for my training...without the carbs, my training would be for ****...I lost 40 Lbs easily eating carbs. When I was sedentary, I ate a higher protein and higher fat diet and benefited from that...but once I started really training and racing, carbs because pretty important.
  • ritchiedrama
    ritchiedrama Posts: 1,304 Member
    Options
    Carbs make a difference for me. I went to Medi Weight Loss, and they told me my carbs do not process but go right to fat cells. I am not supposed to have any more than 39 grams of carbs a day. Impossible! Everything has carbs. I'm doomed before I even start!

Yeah, that isn't true.
  • scottaworley
    scottaworley Posts: 871 Member
    Options

Don't listen to them/find a real dietician. If carbs didn't process than they wouldn't even be able to go into fat cells.
  • Salt_Sand_Sun
    Salt_Sand_Sun Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    A lot of it has to do with age and workout routines. Carbs are energy. If you run a lot - you'll want/need more carbs. If you're young (under 25) then you can handle more carbs. As we age we don't need as many carbs and we need to increase our protein.

But regardless its more about the types of carbs and the food. I LOVE carbs...I'm a genuine carb-*kitten* and I keep mine under 200 most days and it hasn't affected my weight loss. I've learned when to eat the carbs to help fuel my workouts, but I stil eat my carbs!!
  • scottaworley
    scottaworley Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    Again, except for 3 days in the past 3 months my intake has been consistently net 1200 calories.

If you look at my diary I have scant processed foods and measure to the gram so underestimating intake I think is a rare problem. I agree that overestimation of calories burned can be an issue so I try to not eat back all of the calories. However, I was doing low carb and was losing great and since I introduced carbs the loss of 1 lbs a week stalled.

It sounds like you are telling me that my maintenance net calories is 1200. So if i want to lose I need to go lower.
    Give me some advice as to why my weight loss has stalled then. I am stumped. Gained .2 lbs in 2 months,

I wouldn't call that a gain...most people have natural body weight fluctuations of 3-5 Lbs day to day due to water retention/release, food in/out, etc. You are maintaining...which means you are eating a maintenance level of calories. This could be due to what would appear to be pretty radical inconsistency in your intake, overestimation of calorie burn, underestimating intake (i.e. not weighing/measuring...just guestimating...also if you eat out a lot or eat a lot of processed foods, calorie counts can be substantially off).

It has nothing to due with carbs...I ate plenty of carbs during my losing due to they provide awesome jet fuel for my training...without the carbs, my training would be for ****...I lost 40 Lbs easily eating carbs. When I was sedentary, I ate a higher protein and higher fat diet and benefited from that...but once I started really training and racing, carbs because pretty important.

I'm losing more eating 1900 calories than I ever did eating 1200.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    It matters to me if I'm under 40% of total calories. But 40% is quite a lot.

MFP errs by including all carbs in the same category. So a low-glycemic whole oat and a sugar packet count the same on MFP. But not in your body.

All sugars get broken down the same, in your body.

Fiber is a carb and is processed differently than other carbs.

Fiber is seperate, to carbs (in my view, but sure yes you are right)

I'm talking sugar as in, whether its from a fruit or a can of soda.

There is also difference in how fructose and glucose are processed.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I read somewhere that staying under 50g of carbs per day is basically the Keto diet. Staying somewhere between 50-100g is where easy weight loss happens but over that it will be difficult to lose weight?

Is that true?

Does counting carbs really matter that much? Especially when MFP sets my daily goal intake to ~230g. Thats really high for weight loss, isn't it??

No, it's not high at all. I eat 200-250g of carbs.
  • 3nchantress
    Options

Yeah, that isn't true.

Don't know how accurate that is, but please don't set yourself up for failure before you start! Never know till you try!
  • ritchiedrama
    ritchiedrama Posts: 1,304 Member
    Options
    It matters to me if I'm under 40% of total calories. But 40% is quite a lot.

MFP errs by including all carbs in the same category. So a low-glycemic whole oat and a sugar packet count the same on MFP. But not in your body.

All sugars get broken down the same, in your body.

Fiber is a carb and is processed differently than other carbs.

Fiber is seperate, to carbs (in my view, but sure yes you are right)

I'm talking sugar as in, whether its from a fruit or a can of soda.

There is also difference in how fructose and glucose are processed.

It isn't going to make any difference, sugar is sugar. For a start, sugar is half fructose already
  • T0FatToB3S1ck
    T0FatToB3S1ck Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I'm not a doctor. For me, I never tracked anything besides calories and lost 110 pounds. Now towards the end of my weight loss I am having a more difficult time losing so may switch things up and track protein and such.