Caffeine pills anyone???

Options
Lately I've been feeling VERY tired. I'm fairly active, not overweight, I don't consume large amount of caffeine, pop or coffee and I eat really healthy. Nothing has changed recently, but I just feel so tired. Not over stressed, over worked: nothing like that. A co-worker suggested looking into caffeine pills to help. I've been researching and many suggest taking extra calcium as well which is fine, but has anyone ever used these before? My research shows a lot of positives and some negatives (but not too many that would effect me until I actually take these pills and determine if they help or not). Thoughts???

Of course caffeine can be addictive, but when used properly they seems to have some really great benefits.

Replies

• ElliottTN
    ElliottTN Posts: 1,614 Member
    Options
    If I were you I would first get yourself some vitamin B complex supplements and see how those go with you. They will more likely give you more sustainable energy and taper off without a crash. Make sure you get the complex and not just a vitamin b supplement. It is actually much safer than caffeine as well bc you can't overload your body with then and whatever your body doesn't use, it just passes it through rather than trying to process it all.

Every had a 5 hour energy? That's basically what it contains but you can get a stronger, more quality dose and smoother boost through the pill.
  • gzus7freek
    gzus7freek Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    I take a caffeine pill every am. I used to drink 3-4 cups of coffee daily, but wanted to start saving those calories for something else, so I gave up coffee and drink water with a caffeine pill! LOL
  • BHKLEIN
    BHKLEIN Posts: 104
    Options
    If I were you I would first get yourself some vitamin B complex supplements and see how those go with you. They will more likely give you more sustainable energy and taper off without a crash. Make sure you get the complex and not just a vitamin b supplement. It is actually much safer than caffeine as well bc you can't overload your body with then and whatever your body doesn't use, it just passes it through rather than trying to process it all.

Every had a 5 hour energy? That's basically what it contains but you can get a stronger, more quality dose and smoother boost through the pill.

This is great! I read a little about this and it sounds like it would give me what I'm lacking right now. I was a little worried about the caffeine pills, since they do have a bunch of possible negative side affects as well as blocking your body from absording certain nutrients. I'm thinking about trying this first. :happy:
  • unicornpoop
    unicornpoop Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I took them for a bit in high school and college. There's definitely a crash. I second the B vitamins. When I take mine I am much more energized.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    What is your daily calorie goal, and do you meet it consistently, or come in way under? How's your water intake? Dehydration can make you feel lethargic and run down. Sleep habits? Getting plenty of rest?

I'd look into these things first. If you made your diary public it would be easier to offer advice. :smile:
  • BHKLEIN
    Options
    What is your daily calorie goal, and do you meet it consistently, or come in way under? How's your water intake? Dehydration can make you feel lethargic and run down. Sleep habits? Getting plenty of rest?

I'd look into these things first. If you made your diary public it would be easier to offer advice. :smile:

I definently eat plenty! I don't try to starve myself that's for sure and I always comes in around my cal goal: eat more if I exercise more that sort of thing. :) I never come in way under my cal goal: I like to eat and slow and steady pays off more for me!!! I drink about gallon of water a day so that's def. not the issue. I sleep a good 7-8 hrs consistently every night. I don't monitor my diary on here. I find it difficult to constantly track everything online as I don't always have access to the internet so I actually have printed diaries that I manually write everything down in and carry with me everywhere. I can't ever cheat this way or forget since I always have it with me. It makes me more aware of what I put into my body.

I do have a two year old that wears me out but that's not out of the ordinary recently.
  • BHKLEIN
    Options

By the way your arms are fabulous!!!!! :wink:
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    I'd be going to a doctor and getting some bloodwork done rather than see if I could get hopped up on caffeine. Find the underlying problem instead of trying to treat the symptoms.

FYI, not that it means anything. My son in laws mother was tired all the time for a year. She blamed it on everything under the sun but wouldn't go to the doctor. When it finally got so bad she could barely drag around she went. They found out the reason she was so tired was that she was severely anemic which led to the finding that she has a stage 4 colon cancer that has metastasized. If she had gone when she first felt bad they might have been able to help her but she's now just waiting to die.
  • Celuwen
    Celuwen Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    If you've had no lifestyle changes and suddenly feel very tired, I'd suggest you visit your doctor for some blood tests first. It could be all and nothing, but it sounds a bit like anemia.
  • ksuh999
    ksuh999 Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    Uh, what? 5 Hour Energy has caffeine in it.

http://www.5hourenergy.com/ingredients.asp#Caffeine
  • juliamamann
    Options
    yeah you just want to be sure that the caffeine isnt masking a different more serious problem. =)
  • UrbanLotus
    UrbanLotus Posts: 1,163 Member
    Options
    Get your vitamin levels tested - a lot of deficiencies can cause this, I had a severe D & B12 deficiency but once I got that taken care of my energy levels are normal. Don't just start taking them on your own, might be a waste (for example, B12 pills do nothing for you unless you are actually deficient).
  • crisbabe81
    crisbabe81 Posts: 170
    Options

^^QFT.. I take a vit b complex most mornings. The day's I don't I don't have a much energy. Vit B complex is the miracle pill.
  • JessG11
    JessG11 Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    I take a caffeine pill every am. I used to drink 3-4 cups of coffee daily, but wanted to start saving those calories for something else, so I gave up coffee and drink water with a caffeine pill! LOL

Do you crash? Does is make you feel jittery? I started drinking coffee when I wanted to stop drinking diet cokes because I prefer to function on caffeine as opposed to without. I never even knew there were caffeine pills. I'd love to stop with daily coffee because I don't drink it black and waste calories/sugars on creamer/sweetener. Vitamin wise I take a multi, D 3, and B complex but I can still tell the difference when I don't have caffeine.
  • BHKLEIN
    Options
    I don't have anemia, I've been tested (many times actually) and my levels are all good. I have to get a screen at least once a year, every year for work on everything to the blue mood regarding my health so all my levels are clean. Including glucose, HDL, etc... all that is good. I'm completely healthy from the Dr. perspective. I'm just really busy, all the time. I need something to give me a pick up and increase my energy levels so I don't feel tired.
  • ElliottTN
    ElliottTN Posts: 1,614 Member
    Options
    Uh, what? 5 Hour Energy has caffeine in it.

http://www.5hourenergy.com/ingredients.asp#Caffeine

Hmmmm....not a 5 hour energy drinker, just turned it around before when i had one once and saw all the vitamin b mix in there and thought that's all it was. Oh, well, learned something new today so thanks.
  • brixtonbanner
    brixtonbanner Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    .removed
  • kgoodman0108
    Options
    You're tired for a reason. I would try to fix the problem, rather than mask it with caffeine. Been there done that - it just makes matters worse.
  • BHKLEIN
    Options
    I would strongly recommend not to take caffeine pills.
    I have taken them in the past (pro-plus in UK)
    I have, a long time in the past, also taken other things that keep you awake(it is alleged)
    I never felt as **** as after taking Pro-Plus

It's burning a candle at both ends time. You may stay awake for a bit at some point you'll need to crash. What do you take then?

Unless you are working 36 hour shifts I would suggest addressing the reason for your tiredness not dealing with the symptoms.

I'm not taking anything hence the reason for this thread. Full time job, full time mommy and wife, house to take care, other family to take care of, lots of exercise to get in shape, etc, etc, etc...... nothing is an issue just looking for ways people use to get more energy and caffeine pills were suggested to use on an occasional basis. Not that I was going to use them, I was just wondering about other people's experience with them. That's all!
  • JessG11
    JessG11 Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    Has anyone ever tried some of the natural caffeine pills/energy boosters? Like this: http://www.swansonvitamins.com/q?kw=caffiene ? I haven't ever taken 5 Hour and don't want to because I already get Bs in vitamins.