This is scary. Woman dies of heart attack at gym

Options

Replies

• ajaxe432
    ajaxe432 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    EDIT: Also, there is NO REASON strong enough to convince me that everyone should have a physical check up once a year to assess their basic health.

[/quote] Confused by this statement. Do you agree with physical check ups once a year, or do you not...possibly mistype?
  • JUDDDing
    JUDDDing Posts: 1,367 Member
    Options
    I will not preform CPR right now because it has changed and I don't know what those changes are. So all I'm going to do is call 911.

It's just chest compressions now. No more breathing. But that's it.

The 911 operator would walk you through it.
  • lj8576
    lj8576 Posts: 156
    Options
    That could have been me a year ago! Before I wanted to start racing, my mom made me get my heart checked out (that was 2008) Turned out I had a life threatening heart condition and I had to call all the hard training and races off.

You would never think a slim, fit, young woman would need heart surgery, but I did last summer. And now, cured!

Getting a physical will not figure out if you have a heart problem. You have to request special testing. I recommend everyone do that.
    It happened to me too. I had a quadruple bypass at 42. Luckily I had an attentive doctor who actually paid attention to my family history and some minor chest pain I was having. The cardiologist said I would have had a heart attack in the next 6 mos which I would never have survived
  • disasterman
    disasterman Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    Not sure what your point or question is. What about those situations? I could re-word my sentence to say they are dead or as good as dead ETA: as far as you can tell, and unless you do something but it doesn't change the basic black and white of the situation in any real way.
    If you need to do chest compressions they're already dead so there's no valid argument that performing CPR is somehow negligent. What could you possibly do to make the situation worse? If you do nothing, they will remain dead. If you do something, they might not remain dead. Even the dumbest jurors can understand this.

What about the situations where someone passes out, has a faint pulse or the pulse is hard to find due to excess weight or other problems, and the person attempting to administer assistance mistakes that for a lack of a pulse?

And if you're doing CPR, the individual is not dead. The patient could be in ventricular fibrillation or ventricular tachycardia. In either situation, the heart still has electrical activity, but is not pumping blood to the rest of the body. Therefore there is no pulse. CPR and/or the use of an AED can restart the heart, causing the electrical activity to work properly again, making blood flow and therefore producing a pulse.

If someone has no electrical activity, then they truly are deceased and no amount of CPR or use of an AED will provide a remedy for that. However, there is absolutely no way of knowing if the individual has any electrical activity or not, without the use of medical equipment.
  • PapaverSomniferum
    PapaverSomniferum Posts: 2,677 Member
    Options
    If you need to do chest compressions they're already dead so there's no valid argument that performing CPR is somehow negligent. What could you possibly do to make the situation worse? If you do nothing, they will remain dead. If you do something, they might not remain dead. Even the dumbest jurors can understand this.

What about the situations where someone passes out, has a faint pulse or the pulse is hard to find due to excess weight or other problems, and the person attempting to administer assistance mistakes that for a lack of a pulse?

And if you're doing CPR, the individual is not dead. The patient could be in ventricular fibrillation or ventricular tachycardia. In either situation, the heart still has electrical activity, but is not pumping blood to the rest of the body. Therefore there is no pulse. CPR and/or the use of an AED can restart the heart, causing the electrical activity to work properly again, making blood flow and therefore producing a pulse.

If someone has no electrical activity, then they truly are deceased and no amount of CPR or use of an AED will provide a remedy for that. However, there is absolutely no way of knowing if the individual has any electrical activity or not, without the use of medical equipment.

CPR is to be administered when a person stops breathing, in an effort to keep oxygen pumping as best as possible until medically trained personnel arrive. Pulse or no pulse. It fails more often than not, in fact, it is usually useless--- if the aorta is ruptured and bleeding out you're toast and no AED is going to show up and re-start that business.

However, in situations where keeping the oxygen pumping for those precious few seconds between the emergency event and the arrival of life-saving humans/technology; CPR can work miracles.

It's all about swift response. And in this particular instance, the sluggish reaction of the witness and the staff may have been the nail in that lady's coffin.
  • teamAmelia
    teamAmelia Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    EDIT: Also, there is NO REASON strong enough to convince me that everyone should have a physical check up once a year to assess their basic health.
    Confused by this statement. Do you agree with physical check ups once a year, or do you not...possibly mistype?

Well, my company pays us to get physicals every year, so there must be something to it. They think that you can catch some diseases early and cut the company insurance costs if you take care of it at that stage rather than later when you have to have surgeries, etc bc you waited years... You have to get physicals each year that you want to play a school sport, too (or, at least you did when I was in school).
  • Donald_Dozier_50
    Donald_Dozier_50 Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    I had my EKG, EEG and Stress Test done at the beginning of dieting...... all is good. Yes that is scary.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    That same lawyer wouldn't have any trouble arguing that watching someone die without attempting to help would be wanton misconduct or gross negligence. Right?
    That's a good question. Could someone who calls 911 for an event but is not trained to render aid and does not render aid. Could that be considered misconduct or negligence? Well, we can guess all day, I'd say yes, you could be sued for it, but that suit wouldn't go far, and would cost you less than your average car. Let's not forget, MA in particular frowns on self help. If I'm not trained to help you, the best I can do for you is to call for a first responder, and render what aid I can, if I'm untrained, best aid I can provide is to be a witness and not obstruct the scene. Now, if 911 tells me to perform X action and I don't, could I be held negligent? That's another good question.
    I'm not sure how doing chest compressions to save someone's life, even without CPR certification, would be viewed as wanton misconduct or gross negligence. The key words being "wanton" and "gross."

Oh that's easy, you aren't trained. That could easily be argued as gross negligence, particularly if you saved the person and caused them injury in the process. Hell, I've seen that happen even to someone who teaches CPR training for the Red Cross.
  • dbmata
    Options
    Planet Fitness does not technically classify themselves as a gym, which allows them to exploit many loopholes in terms of staffing and training to minimize overhead.

In...

...to tag this nugget of wisdom for future PF threads.

Then what are they classified as? Pizza buffet? Nightclub? Adult daycare? At some point, even if they don't classify themselves as something, they advertise themselves as a gym, isn't that enough to require adherence to gym specific legislation?
  • 215jenn
    215jenn Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I will not preform CPR right now because it has changed and I don't know what those changes are. So all I'm going to do is call 911.

It's just chest compressions now. No more breathing. But that's it.

The 911 operator would walk you through it.

And, there's a beat minimum you should try to keep. Compressions at least 2 inches deep into the chest, at 80 beats a minute. Just hum "Staying Alive" in your head and that's the right rhythm.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options

CPR is to be administered when a person stops breathing, in an effort to keep oxygen pumping as best as possible until medically trained personnel arrive. Pulse or no pulse. It fails more often than not, in fact, it is usually useless--- if the aorta is ruptured and bleeding out you're toast and no AED is going to show up and re-start that business.

However, in situations where keeping the oxygen pumping for those precious few seconds between the emergency event and the arrival of life-saving humans/technology; CPR can work miracles.

It's all about swift response. And in this particular instance, the sluggish reaction of the witness and the staff may have been the nail in that lady's coffin.

I agree - it's all about swift response. My point was that simply, you can't assume that the individual is "dead" just because you can't feel a pulse. If the pulse is faint, but there, and you administer CPR and there are no good Samaritan laws to protect you - you could be sued for cracking a rib or something. I was just trying to contrast the notion that you couldn't be sued because nothing worse could possibly happen.
  • Warchortle
    Warchortle Posts: 2,197 Member
    Options
    People also die in their sleep.. not going to stop sleeping.
  • disasterman
    disasterman Posts: 746 Member
    Options

I agree - it's all about swift response. My point was that simply, you can't assume that the individual is "dead" just because you can't feel a pulse. If the pulse is faint, but there, and you administer CPR and there are no good Samaritan laws to protect you - you could be sued for cracking a rib or something. I was just trying to contrast the notion that you couldn't be sued because nothing worse could possibly happen.

I CAN assume that they're dead or soon will be because I'm not a trained medical professional. If I see someone drop and I'm the only one available to help I'm going to call 911 then check for a pulse. If I don't find one, I'm going to administer CPR without first calling a lawyer or checking whether my certification has expired. If the person manages to live and decides to sue me because I broke a rib or something then so be it, I'm pretty sure the lawsuit won't stand because the law (including case law) in California like most states is completely unambiguous about this. The things people are positing here are theoretically possible but they just really don't happen much in real life. Either way, I'll easily be able to live with myself knowing I did the right thing and what I would want someone to do for me regardless of what the law says or does. For those who wish to think about it more or ponder the legalities and so on while someone dies in front of you, knock yourselves out. As far as I'm concerned, there are no legal ramifications even worth considering. It's a lot more likely you get hepatitis or something (although less so now that they are not calling for mouth-to-mouth). I would still perform rescue breathing on a family member and maybe on a stranger depending on the circumstances.

People should do or not do whatever they're comfortable with but should the situation arise you're going to have to be OK with whatever you decide for the rest of your life so it pays to really think through it now and use good information and not unfounded fear to make those decisions.
  • dbmata
    Options
    People should do or not do whatever they're comfortable with but should the situation arise you're going to have to be OK with whatever you decide for the rest of your life so it pays to really think through it now and use good information and not unfounded fear to make those decisions.

Now that I can get behind. Think and then act.
  • dazzer1975
    dazzer1975 Posts: 104 Member
    Options

I CAN assume that they're dead or soon will be because I'm not a trained medical professional. If I see someone drop and I'm the only one available to help I'm going to call 911 then check for a pulse. If I don't find one, I'm going to administer CPR without first calling a lawyer or checking whether my certification has expired. If the person manages to live and decides to sue me because I broke a rib or something then so be it, I'm pretty sure the lawsuit won't stand because the law (including case law) in California like most states is completely unambiguous about this. The things people are positing here are theoretically possible but they just really don't happen much in real life. Either way, I'll easily be able to live with myself knowing I did the right thing and what I would want someone to do for me regardless of what the law says or does. For those who wish to think about it more or ponder the legalities and so on while someone dies in front of you, knock yourselves out. As far as I'm concerned, there are no legal ramifications even worth considering. It's a lot more likely you get hepatitis or something (although less so now that they are not calling for mouth-to-mouth). I would still perform rescue breathing on a family member and maybe on a stranger depending on the circumstances.

ALL of THIS ^

Nice to see other people I inhabit this planet with feel the same way too, who cares what the law says, whatever happens, I am doing the right thing and getting stuck in, because I'm the one who has to live with myself after.
  • rachaelgifford
    rachaelgifford Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    The gym I work in has every single member of staff Lifeguard trained, AED trained and First aid trained. We have to have at least 3 trained staff members in the building at all times. I feel this should be standard practice. The gym chain I work for has sadly had people die on site from heart failure but never ever have we had a case where an employee has failed to respond. This is very sad.
  • PlayboyMickey81
    Options
    I'm a trauma nurse and we have a lot of patients that came in with heart condition especially heart attack and they are skinny. It doesnt matter your weight when it comes to your heart. Instead of the fat going in to their thigh or belly for example, it goes in around the heart instead and that could be why she had the heart attack. Fats could go into your organs too so even if youre skinny and you think you can eat anything and everything, you should be healthy instead and eat normal because while you might not see the fat outside...... You are killing your organs inside.
  • marciebrian
    marciebrian Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    It is scary, and it happens. I was in the gym many years ago and they carried a guy, mid 30s, out with the paramedics doing CPR. He didn't make it. Made for a pretty quiet week at the gym. Still crowded, but the tone was different. I didn't hear of anybody who stopped going (at least among the regulars) because of it though.

There was a very similar situation at my gym. Young guy on the treadmill, very lean. One minute he's running, the next he's down. Thankfully they are associated with a hospital group and in addition to having someone call the paramedics, they used the defib and he was okay. scary to see though and you have to listen to your body.
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    Skinny =/= Healthy Heart.

It's sad, but people die. And it doesn't have to be someone's fault. It's just life.

But assigning blame is de jour for a suing culture....
  • Tiffa0909
    Tiffa0909 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    That same lawyer wouldn't have any trouble arguing that watching someone die without attempting to help would be wanton misconduct or gross negligence. Right?
    That's a good question. Could someone who calls 911 for an event but is not trained to render aid and does not render aid. Could that be considered misconduct or negligence? Well, we can guess all day, I'd say yes, you could be sued for it, but that suit wouldn't go far, and would cost you less than your average car. Let's not forget, MA in particular frowns on self help. If I'm not trained to help you, the best I can do for you is to call for a first responder, and render what aid I can, if I'm untrained, best aid I can provide is to be a witness and not obstruct the scene. Now, if 911 tells me to perform X action and I don't, could I be held negligent? That's another good question.
    I'm not sure how doing chest compressions to save someone's life, even without CPR certification, would be viewed as wanton misconduct or gross negligence. The key words being "wanton" and "gross."

Oh that's easy, you aren't trained. That could easily be argued as gross negligence, particularly if you saved the person and caused them injury in the process. Hell, I've seen that happen even to someone who teaches CPR training for the Red Cross.

It would be consider gross negligence if he made the situation worst when providing aid.

Most state require for people to be reasonably careful and by calling for help you are fulfilling that obligation , in some state if you don't call for help is consider an act of negligence.