Passed out at gym today

Options

Replies

• reddi2roll
    reddi2roll Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    May not be the calories. Or the calories alone. Not breathing correctly or holding your breath can cause you to pass out during squats and other exercises. The weight might have been too much, your blood was working hard to push your blood to your muscles in your lower extremeties which takes it away from your heart and brain. Once you stopped there was a huge release of blood pressure due to the weight being lifted and you passed out. Might not just be your diet is all I'm getting at. Learn how to breath properly while exercising.

Good advice here. When you squat down, if you hold your breath, this may result in a valsalva maneuver which causes your heart rate to slow way down and then may paradoxically have a dramatic increase to compensate. Happens to people who strain on the toilet and can be very dangerous. Combine that with a low calorie intake and perhaps an electrolyte disturbance and possibly BP or heart meds on board (if you are on them) can be very dangerous. I believe this is what Elvis died from. Recommend you increase your calories ASAP to what others have recommended and hopefully the doctor checked your blood electrolytes.
  • labud1
    labud1 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the responses , I had just woken up , went to the gym ,still half asleep.. PT did ask if I ate anything , I'm a male 57 , {the avatar is not me} thought I would start cross training as I'm 9 lbs. from my goal weight , even though I have been swimming for 6 months everyday ...the new routine threw me . being 55 lbs. over weight for years I hated walking and my legs are not in good shape , Just 20 squats with no weight did it

It takes eating super low for me to loose weight I've been doing this for 6 months now and have gauged what works and what doesn't .

Since I'm almost there I will increase cals and go into cross training slowly
  • Beastmode454
    Beastmode454 Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    Not sure your brain was working before, either. It needs fuel. Please seriously rethink your calorie intake, your body is trying to tell you something.

i weigh 190lbs, 1,500 cals is even to low for me..
  • obsidianwings
    obsidianwings Posts: 1,237 Member
    Options

It takes eating super low for me to loose weight I've been doing this for 6 months now and have gauged what works and what doesn't .
    If you think this is correct then I would suspect mental illness. PLease listen to what we are all telling you. You need to increase your calories, by a lot, urgently.
  • obsidianwings
    Options
    Also, you say you have been doing this 6 months so you know what works, I have skipped back 6 months in your diary (looking at lots in between also) and I can't find a point where you have tried anything other than undereating.
  • JanMarie2BHealthy
    Options
    this may have happened due to other reasons in addition to poor nutrition. Hope you got medical clearance from the doctor to continue using a trainer.

Absolutely and get your physician's opinion on your regimen andy maybe have it fined tuned. Hope you feel better soon and get some answers to what the cause(s) of your episodes.

edited because of a typo....
  • jetscreaminagain
    jetscreaminagain Posts: 1,130 Member
    Options
    Nvrmnd
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Guess I'm not eating enough....got with a personal trainer ....did a few squats and my heart rate went way up .....sat down and passed out 3 times , they called the paramedics , trying to work out on an empty stomach did I think plus my cals. are too low .

my BMR is around 1500 and to loose I was eating 600 - 800 cals a day and swimming 90 min.

I have some rethinking to do as soon as my brain starts workin again ...still feel a lil out of it

Oh my! Hope you learned your lesson and will be upping those calories! Treat your body right and it will treat you right. Abuse your body and this is what happens.
  • Granville_Cocteau
    Granville_Cocteau Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    May not be the calories. Or the calories alone. Not breathing correctly or holding your breath can cause you to pass out during squats and other exercises. The weight might have been too much, your blood was working hard to push your blood to your muscles in your lower extremeties which takes it away from your heart and brain. Once you stopped there was a huge release of blood pressure due to the weight being lifted and you passed out. Might not just be your diet is all I'm getting at. Learn how to breath properly while exercising.

Occam's Razor: The simplest explanation is usually the correct one. Dude wasn't eating enough.
  • toutmonpossible
    toutmonpossible Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    this may have happened due to other reasons in addition to poor nutrition. Hope you got medical clearance from the doctor to continue using a trainer.

Exactly. Of course, 600 to 800 isn't much, but I wouldn't think that alone would make an obese person pass out. I'd go up to 1200 AND get checked out by a doctor ASAP.
  • nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options

If you think this is correct then I would suspect mental illness. PLease listen to what we are all telling you. You need to increase your calories, by a lot, urgently.

First, lets not throw the mental illness card. (nobody here knows all of the specifics) Second, if the OP has been eating at such drastic levels for 6 months, a slower increase may be more appropriate so the body can adjust.

OP: You might want to see your doctor, tell them what has been going on and go from there.
    37434958 Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    I hope your personal trainer told you "not" to eat that low of calories!

EXACTLY this.
  • obsidianwings
    Options

First, lets not throw the mental illness card. (nobody here knows all of the specifics) Second, if the OP has been eating at such drastic levels for 6 months, a slower increase may be more appropriate so the body can adjust.

OP: You might want to see your doctor, tell them what has been going on and go from there.
    I didn't throw it out there immediately. I am judging by OPs refusal to believe 600 odd calories a day for 6 months+ could be anything less than right, despite science saying differently, despite everyone else saying differently, and despite having passed out multiple times.

Of course I am not a doctor, but something is going on there, and I think they need to see a doctor as I did mention earlier.
    I think if this was a young girl saying all this stuff people would have been saying she is an anorexic and to get help from the first post.
  • lindustum
    lindustum Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Occam's Razor: The simplest explanation is usually the correct one. Dude wasn't eating enough.

That is not true. OR states that of all explanations, the most simple one possible should be used- it does not make a prediction as to whether this one is most likely to be true.
  • SwellyStyles
    Options
    Dude you need to eat!!!
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options

That is not true. OR states that of all explanations, the most simple one possible should be used- it does not make a prediction as to whether this one is most likely to be true.

yeah. horses...not zebras....unless you're in Africa :laugh:
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options

Since I'm almost there I will increase cals and go into cross training slowly

:noway: Oh. oh dear. :sick:
  • harleygroomer
    harleygroomer Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    WELL ???? the good news is you won't do THAT again..... Your body needs fuel just like your car. Think of your body like your car, maintain it and it will go far---not stop at the gas station??? Well you know the rest of the story....
  • Avandel
    Avandel Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    So if the trainer asked you if you ate breakfast did you tell him the truth, that you had not!

Anyone who has looked at OP's diary should have noticed that the dude eats one meal a day! Dinner is all, everyday!!! You need to eat & you need help!
  • healthygreek
    healthygreek Posts: 2,137 Member
    Options
    Please have a thorough medical check-up as soon as possible. At your age my husband squatted down to lift up a bunch of books and felt bad only to discover he had 3 blocked arteries and had to be stented.
    Your eating way too few calories but you could possible have a heart problem also.