Discriminated against for tattoos, piercings hair or weight?

Options
ice1200s
ice1200s Posts: 237 Member
I was in a place of business earlier today over in the next town, and another customer was lamenting to the owner on how he couldn't find good help for his business. Then he proceeded to say that he never hires anyone with tattoos, piercings, men with long hair or those that are obese. I asked him, "Doesn't that preclude you from possibly finding some really good people? I added, "Besides, I think it's illegal to discriminate against someone that is overweight."

Now... forget about the guy I just mentioned, I know it will be hard, because he is not the focus of this thread. The focus is - Has this ever happened to you? How did you know? What did you do about it? Let's keep it at that please.

Replies

• klyn05
    klyn05 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I personally feel in general I was treated better by the general public when I was thin! Maybe it is just me being paranoid, but that's what I feel!
  • jboccio90
    jboccio90 Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    A company can have policies and when you sign your employment papers you have to adhere to them, I do think its illegal to not hire someone based on it.

I had worked a job where I couldn't have visible tattoos, so I took an ace bandage and wrapped it around my arm and that was that.
  • Blitz_40
    Blitz_40 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Happens to my beautiful sister all the time. Because of her tats & piercings she been really limited with work and she is not a professional. Is it wrong? I don't know because employers choose their employees to help uphold an image in their company, especially if they are customer-facing. Appearances are the first impression so they may not see the gem a person really is because our society today is highly focused on appearances.
  • ice1200s
    Options
    A company can have policies and when you sign your employment papers you have to adhere to them, I do think its illegal to not hire someone based on it.

I had worked a job where I couldn't have visible tattoos, so I took an ace bandage and wrapped it around my arm and that was that.

At least they hired you.
  • ice1200s
    Options
    Happens to my beautiful sister all the time. Because of her tats & piercings she been really limited with work and she is not a professional. Is it wrong? I don't know because employers choose their employees to help uphold an image in their company, especially if they are customer-facing. Appearances are the first impression so they may not see the gem a person really is because our society today is highly focused on appearances.

How does your sister know that? Did anybody admit to it?
  • RaggedyPond
    RaggedyPond Posts: 1,487 Member
    Options
    Here in Japan you are not allowed into most water parks and bath houses if you have tattoos.
  • mister_universe
    mister_universe Posts: 6,664 Member
    Options
    First convince me that those four things aren't under the control of the potential employee, then we can have the discussion. Anti-discrimination laws are based on protecting classes of nearly unalterable traits, and have nothing to do with personal choices and their enduring wisdom.

Will that employer miss out on some good talent? Without a doubt. But the weighing of the visual evidence of personal choice is NOT discrimination. Stereotyping, maybe.
  • justwanderful
    justwanderful Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    "tattoos, piercings, men with long hair and the obese" are not protected classes under Anti-discrimination laws here in Arizona. Employers won't tell you why you were not hired. They'll just say "We wish you the best in your continued job search."
  • jkdarby
    jkdarby Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    First convince me that those four things aren't under the control of the potential employee, then we can have the discussion. Anti-discrimination laws are based on protecting classes of nearly unalterable traits, and have nothing to do with personal choices and their enduring wisdom.

Will that employer miss out on some good talent? Without a doubt. But the weighing of the visual evidence of personal choice is NOT discrimination. Stereotyping, maybe.

^This

You're right, it is not illegal. There are several things that can or have been discriminated against when it comes to hiring that people may disagree with, but it is not against the law. If you want to view protected classes, research Title VII of the Civil Rights Act, ADA, and ADEA.

But, I know that's not what you wanted this post to be about. As a Human Resources professional, it just bugs me a little when say "I think that's illegal," without actually knowing it or not. Morality and legality are not always one and the same. For example, it's not illegal, at least not on a federal level, to discriminate from hiring someone based on their sexual orientation.

I have never been discriminated against for any of the above mentioned things. However, I have always felt judgement from others based on my younger age and status in the workplace. I have previously received comments that always made me feel like I would not be seen as anything else other than a "kid." My younger age does not mean I am incompetent. I also refuse to be lumped into a stereotype of a younger generation who speaks in "text messaging language." I know how to use complete sentences and when to use proper grammar.
  • FearAnLoathingJ
    FearAnLoathingJ Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    I've been discriminated against at jobs for my religious status but never the other stuff
  • mssteel90
    mssteel90 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Yup. Tattoos. An piercings. It's just par or the course, there is no point *****ing about it. Some people are **** and won't hire certain types of people when their focus should be on the ability of the person to do the job. I mean it annoys me it's tough to find work but I find I appreciate work more.
  • mspoopoo
    mspoopoo Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    I would not hire anyone with tattoos or piercings for public facing jobs. They are a reflection of my company and having people who color on themselves and poke holes in their bodies isn't a good impression.

Sure people can express themselves anyway they like, but there are consequences.
  • karlahere
    karlahere Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    There are industries where being really fat can be a liability and a safety hazard. I'm glad that the our laws understand this; I myself have refused to be accompanied by obese personnel because I cannot support them if they are somehow incapacitated/disabled in the field (the risk of injury in mountain climbing is pretty high for them).

Tattoos, piercings and hair--cool, fine, no problem for me. I've hired men with gang tattoos. However some companies feel the need to maintain a certain image. I've been told that "employees are ambassadors", so yeah they can totally pass up the candidate especially if there are others who have the same credentials.
  • ronmonkey
    ronmonkey Posts: 316
    Options
    Whilst i was a serving police officer, i was told by my inspector that i had to wear long sleeve shirts, i just agreed, i might come across as intimidating to some people. It never affected me though, as i work in a school now for the past 5 years ive only had one head teacher say she didnt personally like tattoos but she couldnt force me to cover them up, its never affected my job to teach though and thats what matters. Obviously i do get looks wherever i go but its about 50/50 that like/dont like them.
  • mrshudson813
    mrshudson813 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I would not hire anyone with tattoos or piercings for public facing jobs. They are a reflection of my company and having people who color on themselves and poke holes in their bodies isn't a good impression.

Sure people can express themselves anyway they like, but there are consequences.

What about someone who has been in an accident and has scars all over their face and arms? Or what about someone who has a birth defect is missing an ear? Would you not hire them because it "isn't a good impression".

Being covered in tattoos and piercings is one thing. But you shouldn't judge someone because of having some body art. Just my opinion.
  • BonnieandClyde29
    BonnieandClyde29 Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    My job said you had to cover tattoos, but since we live in FL they didn't expect us to put on long sleeve shirts so they asked us to bandage them, all the time people would ask what happened and we would just tell our guests its our tattoos so a lot of people wanted to see them and enjoyed them, they obviously weren't derogatory or inappropriate. So our bosses ended up letting it be ok, just not being carried away with it. They did however discriminate, when I was smaller all of the guys would run over each other to help me out give me all the attention which I didn't want, but any of the girls that were bigger, they were straight mean to them half the time especially my co manager, he would flirt with me all the time, but he would be real rude and mean to a couple of other girls. Ridiculous.

It's one thing if it's a health hazard I understand I had a couple people that wouldn't hire me just because I'm a smoker. my boss at my part time job actually smacked my arm when she saw I had another tattoo, but when she put down my tattoo I literally had 2 customers who complimented it and thought it was beautiful, so needless to say I can show my tats and I work at front desks at timeshare resorts.
  • jessiefied
    jessiefied Posts: 167
    Options
    I used to be anorexic and people would treat me way better. I'd get amazing service in shops, especially clothing ones and if I brought a block of chocolate (which I rarely did) no one would bat an eye. Now people ignore me, especially in clothing shop and if I buy chocolate I can feel the judgement from the cashier / other people around. What I've found is other overweight people are the best sales people because they don't tend to judge either so I now try to find them. :)

I have pierced ears and am considering getting a tattoo but as long as its tasteful or can be covered for work I see no need for not hiring people because of it.
  • BonnieandClyde29
    BonnieandClyde29 Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options

What about someone who has been in an accident and has scars all over their face and arms? Or what about someone who has a birth defect is missing an ear? Would you not hire them because it "isn't a good impression".

Being covered in tattoos and piercings is one thing. But you shouldn't judge someone because of having some body art. Just my opinion.

^^This exactly!!! The tattoos on my arm are bad scars from an accident as a kid, and they never went away, so I put something beautiful for my cousin and grandmother that passed away and meant the world to me!
  • CollieFit
    CollieFit Posts: 1,683 Member
    Options

Spot on. If an obese person also happens to be genuinely disabled (and in the UK certain obesity-linked chronic illnesses such as diabetes are covered in the legislation) then you might have a claim and blame the disability rather than the obesity, but other than that they can hire who they like based on the kind of image they wish their staff to project.
  • FarAway02
    FarAway02 Posts: 211
    Options
    When I was going through some interviews for my (second) nanny job in January of this year I came up against quite a lot of stern looks being aimed at my nose piercing and blue streak in my hair. I don't even 'look' alternative, so I was surprised by this.

The family that took me on did later say that they'd had negative feelings towards my bright hair..... but they hired me for myself, so that's fine. I've since had purple, blue again in my hair and a visible tattoo (inner wrist). I guess they've learnt to deal.

This post reminded me of a lovely cafe in town.... and it is lovely...but they very clearly only hire attractive peoples in their late teens/early 20s, they have to have an on trend look, clear skin and dark hair. They all look so similar they could be family. I can bet you that this establishment are turning people aware who don't fit in to the bracket of looks they're going for.