New to Quinoa--what is your fav. recipe using it?

Options

Replies

• jmcreynolds91
    jmcreynolds91 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    Love love quinoa! Just google recipes! So versatile and easy! And yummy too!
  • Lift_This_
    Lift_This_ Posts: 2,756 Member
    Options
  • slowturtle1
    slowturtle1 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Google "Skinnytaste Mediterannean Quinoa", its really light and fresh tasting while still being satisfying. I make it all the time!

For something more substantial I make 1 cup of quinoa (turns into 3 cups), dress the quinoa in a dressing of honey, lemon, and olive oil (1 tbsp olive oil, equal parts honey and lemon, I use 2 tbs each, until desired flavor), salt and pepper, then add 1/3 cup dried cranberries, 1 apple cut into cubes, 1/4 cup slivered almonds, 1/4 cup cilantro.
    - I will alter this one sometimes by replacing the lemon with balsamic vinegar and adding jarred sun dried tomatoes

ETA: My sister makes an AMAZING quinoa by using chicken broth (vegetable broth also works) instead of water to cook it. Then add whatever you feel like. Super flavorful and delicious :)

That sounds awesome! I need to try that recipe. I use the same dressing recipe in my Southwest Quinoa Salad, but I use lime instead of lemon. To the quinoa and cilantro I add a tub of mixed baby greens, grilled corn cut off the cob, cherry or grape tomatoes cut in half, (black beans for vegetarian style or chicken), and red bell pepper. Sometimes I throw in some diced avocado.
  • srgtbiggles
    srgtbiggles Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Bump!
  • tambam69
    tambam69 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    bump for recipes
  • My go to recipe has become this Moroccan inspired quinoa salad by Katheats:

http://www.katheats.com/moroccan-inspired-quinoa-salad

I went lighter on the dressing and it was still very good. I've also made this for several of my friends that are not big "health food" fans and both enjoyed it. Besides cooking the quinoa and a bit of chopping, it's very easy to make. Enjoy!
  • meeeshellllle
    meeeshellllle Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I use it instead of bread crumbs to make a "fried" chicken for the kids it's fantastic I found the recipe on pinterest
  • iamafoodaholic
    iamafoodaholic Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Mango Quinoa Salad

2 cups cooked quinoa* at room temperature, or chilled
    1 14 oz can black beans, drained and rinsed
    1 medium mango, peeled and diced
    1 red bell pepper, diced
    6 green onions, thinly sliced
    1 handful chopped cilantro (about 1/2 cup)
    4 tablespoon red wine vinegar
    3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
    1-2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
    kosher salt
    freshly cracked black pepper

*Quinoa can be cooked in water or broth.  I suggest using vegetable or
    chicken broth for enhanced flavor, but plain water works great too.

Place cooked quinoa in a large bowl.  Add mango, red pepper, green
    onion, black beans, and cilantro.  In a small bowl combine vinegar,
    olive oil, and lime juice.  Whisk until smooth and pour on top of
    salad.  Toss to combine and add salt and pepper to taste.  Chill for
    at least one hour before serving.
  • jpalocy77
    jpalocy77 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    i love the skinny taste recipe too.. I make it..and my boyfriend brings to his firestation..and they all love it and brag or make fun of the fact its superfood... lol.. he loves it..he adds in sesame oil and rice wine vinegar though (he loves thai food) lol
  • zingmum
    zingmum Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    bump
  • judychicken
    judychicken Posts: 937 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • srgtbiggles
    srgtbiggles Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Mediterranean Quinoa Salad

Skinnytaste.com
    Servings: 6 • Size: 1 generous cup
    Calories: 145.5
    Fat: 8 g • Carb: 15.5 g • Fiber: 2.5 g • Protein: 4.3 g • Sugar: 0 g
    Sodium: 137 mg (without the salt) • Cholest: 7.4 mg

Ingredients:

1 cup uncooked quinoa
    2 cups water
    1/4 cup red onion, diced
    1/2 - 3/4 lemon, squeezed
    1/4 cup (about 10) kalamata olives, pitted and sliced
    2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
    2 cups cucumber, peeled and diced (from 1 English)
    1 cup cherry tomatoes, quartered
    1/3 cup crumbled feta
    salt and fresh pepper, to taste

Directions:

Rinse quinoa for about 2 minutes, using your hands to make sure all the saponins are removed.

Fill a medium pot with water, add quinoa and salt to taste and bring to a boil. When the water boils, reduce heat to low and cover; simmer covered 15 minutes. Remove from heat and keep covered an additional 5 minutes without lifting the lid; then fluff with a fork and set aside in a large mixing bowl to cool.

While the quinoa cools, dice all the vegetables. Add the red onion, olives, cucumber, tomatoes to the cooled quinoa, and squeeze 1/2 lemon over it.

Drizzle the olive oil over the quinoa, then add feta, salt and pepper to taste and toss well. Taste for salt and adjust as needed, add more lemon juice if needed.

Makes over 6 1/4 cups.
  • pastabelly
    pastabelly Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Bump...love quinoa and these ideas sound great
  • nancymmorris
    Options
    Banana Quinoa Pudding 1 1/2 c water 3/4 c quinoa 2 c almond milk 2 ripe bananas 2 tbs sugar 1/2 tbs butter 1/2 tsp vanilla Rinse & drain quinoa. Bring water & quinoa to a boil over high heat until boiling Reduce heat cover & simmer for 15 mins. Remove from heat. Blend together milk, bananas, sugar in a blender until smooth. Pour mixture into the quinoa. Cook over medium heat, stir until the mixture becomes thick & creamy, 5-10 mins. Stir in the butter & vanilla. Serve warm.
  • issyfit
    issyfit Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    I made these quinoa pizza bites tonight--delicious! and very filling.
    http://fitsuccess.blogspot.com/2013/02/healthy-snack-quinoa-pizza-bites.html?m=1
  • tfisher0915
    tfisher0915 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • 89nunu
    89nunu Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    Here for the recipe ideas :)
  • drams5
    Options
    I sprinkle it on my salad. I saw someone do it at Whole Foods and have been doing it ever since. Adds nice texture. I also like to mix it with black beans and diced avocado. Yum.
  • thesophierose
    thesophierose Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    Oh my God , with almond butter.
  • haterhaze
    haterhaze Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Bump