Strength Training Challenge

Options

Replies

• yoyonomore55
    yoyonomore55 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    3rd workout with weights- (I am using workout from New Rules of Lifting for Women)

Also did Standing abs routine, c25k week 1 day 2, and finished out walking a total distance of 5k
    Deb A in CNY
  • linder4866
    linder4866 Posts: 11,107 Member
    Options
    Wednesday - core work and upper body workout. Cathe F. arm exercises.

1864096v3r4j8nfsc.gif

I've definitely made all my various muscle groups scream this week!:laugh:

We are DOING THIS my friends.

1316401or4ufsr8sh.gif

Be stronger today than you were yesterday.

Lin in Central Iowa
  • yanniejannie
    yanniejannie Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Jodios and Barbie:

Waaaaay back when I first started, the very idea of a push up or lifting an actual weight was so impossible that I stood a couple feet from a door, leaned into it and planted my hands flat and did what I called "push-aways" with my weight on my hands...........eventually moved my feet back and increased the number. I keep track of distance with the pattern in my kitchen floor. Then I moved to a lower stationary object----the edge of the kitchen sink and moved my feet little by little more away as my "push aways" became more like push ups, then on to the edge of the tub---I'm directly over the edge and my feet are like you would do for a plank.........it's a real push up, I'm just a foot off the floor at my shoulders. Chair dips......sit on the edge of a steady kitchen chair, keep your arms straight, slide your butt off and go down and back up using only your arms.

I don't know if anyone else would consider these made up things "exercise" but I've sure gotten better at doing them!!!
  • OK I'm in. At home I work with a trainer 2 x week. But I'm having trouble keeping up with a routine "on the road" as we vacation. I'm so blitzed by the end of the day that I need to make a commitment to work out in the morning before we take off for the day. I've been doing plank, leg lifts and crunches. Tried a wall sit and my knees cried out for mercy. My left knee has been very painful.

So my first goal is to work out on core every day.

Second step is to record bench marks.

Third goal is to maintain or increase number of reps every day.

blessings,
    Karen:heart:
  • dscmom
    dscmom Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    been keeping up strength training every other day.....following a womens lifting guideline ....it was hard to make myself so it today but so glad I did :-) Love reading everyones different styles and dedication.....
  • jodios528
    jodios528 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    so proud of myself today. I dragged my tired body out of bed early this morning to get my strength training in before my first meeting (I was out of town on business). :yawn: I found the second 10 lb dumb bell that was not in the rack when I checked out the fitness center yesterday, so used those for all my moves. I managed to get it all in: upper body, lower body and my least favorite: abs. :bigsmile:

To be efficient I tried a compound move that had me sweating up a storm: holding 10 lbs in each hand, lunge forward with the right leg. then lean forward slowly lifting the left leg up a couple of feet directly behind you. Set the left foot down and then step back with the right foot - balancing on the left when upright and stepping the right all the way back to a reverse lunge. Finally, straighten and bend both legs - doing a bicep hammer curl each time you rise (3 times up and down). Then step forward again balancing 1/2 way to a forward lunge....8 with the right leg leading and then 8 with the left leading....these were tough!!!!! :sad: :noway: :grumble:

Keep at it ladies - I'm so proud of all of us!!!! :flowerforyou: :drinker: :flowerforyou: :drinker:

Jodios :wink: :love: :heart: :bigsmile:
  • linder4866
    Options
    Good job Jodios!:flowerforyou:

And I had a light day today, an easy lower body workout and some core work. But not really intense. But it was something! :bigsmile:

Be stronger today than you were yesterday.

Lin in Central Iowa
  • Susan2BHealthier
    Susan2BHealthier Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I started dumbell program today. I was just doing 40 min a day of cardio sweating it out. Now I need to add a weight routine. Keep letting us know about websites/youtube videos that you like.
  • djthom2
    djthom2 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    If it's not too late I'd love to join you. I need to get myself moving!
  • Poerava14
    Poerava14 Posts: 1,065 Member
    Options
    First meeting with trainer today. Mostly talking and orienting me to the plethora of options at the gym. After hearing the pros and cons, think we'll do a lot of work with free weights on a balance ball, and learn a routine using resistance tubes. This is so I can take them on the road with me.

Jodios: Good for you hitting the hotel gym early. One of the hardest things about being on the road is keeping to any kind of fitness routine. Our bodies take a beating from airplanes, hauling luggage, sleeping with strange pillows, eating restaurant food and in my case, very long work days. I've lost and gained the same 3 pounds about 20 times this year... At least, I do lose them again. :laugh:

Will carry all of you in my head and my heart on this next trip.

Stay well. Stay strong.

Rori in Colorado Foothills
  • terrimag
    terrimag Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    It’s encouraging to see your posts!

Today I did upper body & abs…bicep curls (#10 w/10 lbs) and triceps (#10 w/10 lbs), modified push-ups (#10), also crunches (#10) and plank @ 40 seconds (up from 36 seconds).

Tuesday, I started lower body with “squat-lunge-curls” (5 each leg)…it’s difficult for me to keep my balance :smile:

Terri
  • jodios528
    jodios528 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Welcome to everyone new - anyone can join in at any time. Its all about getting stronger, healthier and helping each other along the way!
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Every time I do the weight machines in the gym I wind up with a sore back. I'm going to talk to the assistant today, and I'm thinking of dropping the machine that I suspect is the culprit.

I did some web searching about the plank. It seems the YouTube fitness gurus like it for strengthening abs and most recommended the bent arm version over the straight arm version. I tried both as an experiment, but with a good long time between them. I was able to hold the same length of time either way, and I have no idea if one was better than the other.

I do notice my weight goes up every time I visit the gym. Does that also happen to others?

Katla in overcast NW Oregon
  • linder4866
    Options
    Good day my friends – another day another muscle *talking* to me. (I have an appointment with my Biofreeze later tonight.) I am tired indeed: core work and upper body today but feeling good that I'm doing this!! How about you??

1029967b53yd7wa59.gif

Be stronger today than you were yesterday

Lin in Central Iowa
  • Shal0110
    Options
    I wanna join :) 15 female

First of all, this is a list of what I can do and those things are what I want to improve :))) So I'll start tomorrow, Aug. 18

Push-ups = 12 male continuous (I want this to become 20 after a month)
    Sit-ups = 140 continuous (200 in a month)
    Plie Squats = 40 (80 in a month)
    Crunches = 50 (soon to be 100)
    Jumping rope = 30 high jumps (50 in a month) :D
    Other abs exercises which I can only do for 15-20 reps. (50 in a month)
    Plank! :) I want to last for 1 minute! Squats = 100 (200 in a month)
    Flexibility = Idk, Maybe improve more? :))))

So those are the main things I want to improve. I wish you all good luck and we could all do this! We will be stronger!
  • yanniejannie
    Options
    Plank...............2m 45s ............best so far, but I did it first
    chair dips..........32 .........up from30
    sink push ups ....28 .........up from27
    tub pushups.......11 ........down from 14..........done last; so order does affect
  • ummommyme
    ummommyme Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    I want to play too;) I'm a 34yr old female with 4 kids. My goal for the rest of this month is to work out 4x a week. I've gotten way off schedule for the last several months. I will typically do lots of legs with some arms too and abs are included. So, more of full body workouts. I'm just about to get an Olympic bar and weights with bench on Sunday-yay craigslist! I own pairs of dumbells ranging from 5-25lbs. 5lb increments.
    I did what I call my twenty workout today
    20 high knees, each leg, in between each set of exercises
    20 wide leg deadlifts with 40lb(2 20lb dumbells)
    20 lunges each leg with 40lb(same)
    20 one arm rows with 20lb each arm
    20 squats with 40lb
    20 wood chops with 10lb, each side
    20 one leg deadlift, each side, with 20lbs(2 10lb)
    20 tricep dips
    20 wide stance squats with 20lb
    20 bent leg deadlifts 40lb
    20 plié squats with 20lbs
    I do pushups daily about 4x a week to get as many in a row as possible, man pushups normally between 10-15 so far. I want to use my resistance bands some next week so I will make that a new exercise for then.
  • pushyourself14
    pushyourself14 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Sounds like fun :)
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,948 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Today is day 4 of my new strength training resolution. I kept my routine the same but added to my ankle weights by about one pound on each leg. I think squats are the only thing in my routine that aren't made more difficult by the ankle weights.

:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: yanniejannie, I do pushups with my hands on the seat of a dining room chair.......The height is possibly similar to the edge of the tub that you use. I think the ankle weights add a challenge to the pushups.

:flowerforyou: by the time I did my strength training routine, I'd already walked over 20,000 steps and worked in the yard for two hours. I thought my hubby would watch TV with me while I worked out but he took a nap instead:laugh: :laugh:

:flowerforyou: Katla, I do planks on my forearms....I have read a lot about muscles retaining fluid as part of the repair process so it's quite possible that the scale won't give you good news after a workout.....do not be discouraged.

:flowerforyou: Rori, that's a great idea to create a routine that you can take on the road with you.

:bigsmile: I workout at home and love being able to watch TV and not have to drive anywhere...

:heart: Barbie from NW Washington

“If it’s important to you then you will find a way, if it’s not you’ll find an excuse.”

1433479le3q4a7az6.gif

2157045gp85zev8ri.gif 2157045gp85zev8ri.gif2157045gp85zev8ri.gif 2157045gp85zev8ri.gif 2157045gp85zev8ri.gif2157045gp85zev8ri.gif

hooray for all the members of this challenge

[/quote]
  • yanniejannie
    Options
    Oh, wow.............Barbie, that animation is just too cute!!!!