School Mascots that are Lacking...

Options
2»

Replies

• pudadough
    pudadough Posts: 1,271 Member
    Options
    UC Santa Cruz are the Banana Slugs. I think they win.
  • jhmomofmany
    jhmomofmany Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    Watersmeet (MI) high school... home of the Nimrods.

I snicker every time we drive through that town...
  • Alley919
    Options
    In elementary school we were known as the Hornets, in Jr. High and Sr. High we were known as the Dragons.
  • snookumss
    snookumss Posts: 1,451 Member
    Options
    Its okay, I'd take a beaver or a duck over my high school mascot (Marshall High School Campus, Portland Oregon) "The Minuteman". That doesn't strike fear into opponents, just makes them laugh.
  • ashandstuff
    ashandstuff Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    Mine was actually the opposite problem.

We were The Vikings.

But we should have been called The Pansies.
  • AllyCatXandi
    AllyCatXandi Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    I was chased home by a very vicious momma duck, and let me tell you they're pretty fearsome (and persistent...) when they want to be :laugh:

Our mascot was the dragon, although in my last few years of school I went to a place that had house colours instead. My house had people renting out giant polar bear costumes and strapping on angel wings because our representative colour - well, shade technically - was white.
  • Sparkle_Princess
    Options
    Down here in the land down under we didnt have school mascots, but if I had a choice Id probably go the Beaver!!
  • lintino
    lintino Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    In the 1970's my college teams - Aquinas in Michigan - were called the Tommies, later changed to The Saints. Neither one to strike terror in the hearts of the opposing teams.
  • riboid
    riboid Posts: 31
    Options
    We don't really do the mascot thing in the UK or Australia but if I had to pick, it would be a Beaver.
  • stephc0711
    stephc0711 Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    My alma mater's mascot was the Blackhawks (as in the Native American chief), my husband's was the Whirlwinds. Locally we also have the Bobcats, Bears, Tigers, Eagles and Bulldogs. All seem fairly intimidating to me!
  • mahanaibu
    mahanaibu Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    I live in an artist's colony and the high school mascot used to be the Artists. Loved that, but they changed it later to something more common.

But my favorite all-time mascot is the Ribet Academy's Fighing Frogs.
  • blt0087
    blt0087 Posts: 115
    Options
    We were the Pirates, but there is a high school where I live now and they're the Sandies..as in dust tornados (dust devils, whatever you call it). But anytime I drive by I think of those Sandies cookies :laugh:
  • KickassAugust
    KickassAugust Posts: 1,430 Member
    Options
    I don't like sports - but I love beavers!
  • Bonita_Lynne_58
    Bonita_Lynne_58 Posts: 2,845 Member
    Options
    My baby girl goes to a school called Crooked Oak...derisively called either Twisted Twig or Bent Twig by opposing schools...throughout the school...the mascot names are Bobcats (elementary)...Oilers (Middle School)....Rufnex (High School) with the oilfield theme..shouldn't Bobcats be Wildcats or Wild Catters?
  • IrishHarpy1
    IrishHarpy1 Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    It could be worse... you could have the mascot of the Rhode Island School of Design.

His name is "Scrotie."

I kid you not. Look it up. :ohwell:

ETA: Please note -- this is NOT for the easily offended. http://www.risd.edu/About/News/Scrotie_Responds/
  • tm82001
    tm82001 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I'd be a duck....they are vicious!! Guard ducks are used nearby and they are mean!!

I went to a high school where we were the Dana Hills Dolphins. ***insert dolphin sound here*** Who is afraid of a dolphin??!! ha ha

I teach at a high school and we are the cougars...now there is a bad *kitten* animal!
  • I_am_Kara
    I_am_Kara Posts: 2,593 Member
    Options
    Beaver was one of my school mascots a long time ago...but I've always liked ducks too...hmm tough choice:huh:
  • dakitten2
    dakitten2 Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    Our high school mascot was the Scotties. Now I love dogs and think they are cute, but not the image of a fighting machine.

Now give me the University of Kentucky Wildcats (basketball) and I'm all in! Go Big Blue Nation!