Slim Fast - yes or no?

Options

Replies

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I used shakes (not slim fast) as a tool when I started, and it helped me. With one shake a day I wasn't craving sweets at all, and it helped me a lot getting over binging. But only one shake a day... I think that drinking more than that really doesn't help you learning how to eat properly.
  • walleymama
    walleymama Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I did the SlimFast diet twice, back when I was in my twenties (that was about 20 years ago). It was awful.

First, the shakes and bars taste gross.

Second, you will be hungry all day.

which means, Third, your "sensible dinner" ends up being a massive pig out because you are so hungry.

I did manage to lose 10 lbs each time (I was only about 10 lbs overweight anyway) but I gained it all back as soon as I stopped with the SlimFast.

I do not advocate any diet that leaves you hungry all the time. This is starvation diet and I think they are very unhealthy (not to mention, totally unsustainable).
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    There's a lot of things wrong with this approach, but I think most importantly for you, it's highly likely to make your situation far worse.
  • plipsurt
    plipsurt Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Just no
  • bruinschick13
    bruinschick13 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Oh goodness no. Unless you don't mind drinking/eating chemicals. I only like using things that are 100% natural. If you put chemicals into your body, you'll only hurt yourself. There is no such thing as a magic pill or anything.
    If you are looking for motivation, I could help you. Are ou on FB? I have a closed group with others in the same boat as you. Let me know! :wink:
  • TheDarlingOne
    TheDarlingOne Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    If you're planning, from the start of trying them, to not do it forever - then sure why not.

but i wouldn't plan on counting on them forever to help you lose, or maintain. Kind of think of it like, "what happens if slimfast goes out of business?"

Trees, and the ground, they're pretty much gonna be in business for a while lol - and meat 'growers' lol - so that's your best things to stick with as far as long term success....or so I hear.

I think slimfast shakes taste pretty decent - and for a bit there when I started messing around with new foods - I was using the pre-packaged ones in the bottles (slim 3-2-1 plan) in my a.m. smoothies for more protein :)

enjoy!
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,583 Member
    Options
    No. It won't kick start anything.
  • MamaDuckN2MamaWow
    MamaDuckN2MamaWow Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    No, there are far better choices than Slim Fast - it's nothing but hidden calories and loaded with unnecessary sugars and carbs.
    If you are needing to still use a supplement for snacking, look for protein bars that are more natural and have a lot less sugar. High protein, low carb, and no added sugar is your best bet to help you stay on track. Just remember, if you do eat a protein bar, MAKE SURE TO DRINK YOUR WATER!!!
  • angie_04
    angie_04 Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    I drink one after every workout. I love the taste of them and it's really up to you. I want Shakeology by Beachbody, but they r so expensive :( I mainly drink mine for a snack and it helps me cause I Love Chocolate!
  • Kasmira0004
    Kasmira0004 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    No. I've tried slim fast and it made things worse. What ended up working was pre-planning, I highly suggest that.
  • MorbidMander
    MorbidMander Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    I tried Slim Fast six months or so ago and I have to say the stuff tastes absolutely horrible. It's disgusting and not worth the money. Ya know what is though? Actual nutritious food. I know staying on track is hard, I've been doing this healthy lifestyle change for almost a year and I sometimes still have a hard time saying no to certain junk food. But you just need to stay committed and pay attention to what you're actually consuming. Maybe shakes could help you transition into something healthier.. but I dunno, I'm not a dietician or anything...

Best of luck to you nonetheless.
  • ruth3698
    ruth3698 Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    I used them a long time ago and they gave me stomach problems.They are just a way to calorie restrict...why have a gross shake when you can have a turkey sandwich or some real food with around the same amount of calories instead?My vote is no as well.
  • kellyskitties
    kellyskitties Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    What is a "Kick Start"?

Just a way to "break" your routine and get the weight dropping. I don't think anyone should do these for more than a week or so. It's not learning to eat right, it's just getting things going the right way. Not for the long term.

If it isn't something that you should do long term, why do it for even a week?

I wouldn't personally do it... at all... but I know some people it helped get started. I would never say it's optimal. It's basically a crash diet.
  • Iron_Lotus
    Iron_Lotus Posts: 2,295 Member
    Options
    No.
  • HollisGrant
    HollisGrant Posts: 2,022 Member
    Options
    I think Slim Fast is fine short term or when you are traveling.

I drank a chocolate shake for breakfast my first month of trying to get healthier/lose weight (April 2013) and lost 10 pounds. Some of that was water weight, of course. I don't like to cook, plus I'm a sugar addict/junk food/eating out kind of person, so the shakes worked well for me until I could figure out what I was going to eat for breakfast that wouldn't take a major time investment.

I didn't want to stay on the shakes because (1) they are expensive -- $7 for 4 and (2) they have a lot of sugar. The sugar worked well for me as I was tapering off it, but eventually I wanted to replace the shakes with real food and less sugar.

After 30 days, I switched to steel cut oats with a chopped apple instead of sugar. I make a big batch of steel cut oats ahead of time and eat that for 3-4 days -- it takes about two minutes to add water and heat it up and beats paying $7 every few days.
  • Paleohawk
    Paleohawk Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    No. It was not working for me. I easily got hungry few hours later after drinking one tall glass of slim fast.
  • prdavies1949
    prdavies1949 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Nope.
  • Kayden1986
    Kayden1986 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    they seem to be milk, sugar, and a multivitamin pill smooshed together. two shakes is over 40 grams of sugar and the protein content is still very low. I said no when i was learning about nutrition

...and after doing my Nutrition course, and choosing to do a comparison between meal replacements with slim fast and another shake v a full proper nutritional diet.. then I 100% say NOOOOOO to slim fast, but the shake idea with a good quietly one is ok for some. Like myself. For me, that is my nutritional style. I have one shake a day and can keep that up for life, but I wont ever touch a slimfast.
  • MaudeBeige
    MaudeBeige Posts: 282
    Options
    I keep a Slim Fast powder mixed with skimmed milk powder in my bag. I'm terrible at thinking ahead and if I don't do that I either eat rubbish or don't eat at all and then eat everything that doesn't move too fast once I get home!

I simply mix with water when I'm hungry and have a glug... A better alternative for me.
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    No