Kettlebell virgin

Options
2»

Replies

• DalekBrittany
    DalekBrittany Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    I have Jillians "Shred it with Weights" which recommends using a kettlebell (I use a 10lb-er). I love this DVD, and lost 10 lbs and several inches in 2 months with it. My kettlebell came with a little instruction book on various exercise, which was good, but I like how Jillian puts her workouts together.

That's two strikes:

1. Jillian's Shred It With Weights DVD has been highly criticized because the form she pushes is VERY bad and will get you hurt as you move up to heavier weights. VERY bad form.

2. 10 lbs is far too light when doing conventional kettlebell exercises because when you work with a kettlebell you need to ensure certain stabilizer muscles engage, which will only happen when working with a heavy enough weight. The RKC recommends beginning women start with an 8kg (approx. 18lb) kettlebell MINIMUM. Using less than that will prevent key muscle groups from engaging which makes proper form during many exercises impossible.

That's one strike:

10 lbs is not far too light for some people. You are only supposed to start with what you can handle, telling a beginner to pick up an 18 lb KB is not smart if that person can't handle it. I use a 4kg one because I cannot do all my reps with anything heavier for now.
  • CCNYE63
    CCNYE63 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    @contingencyplan,

Thanks for the info. I'm a 50 year old woman so the 10lb kettlebell is the perfect weight for me! Anything heavier hurts my knees, hips, and shoulders. I guess I was lucky I didn't get hurt doing Jillian's DVD, though I did really like it and did lose 10 lbs and several inches in the 2 months I used it. Maybe it was a good thing that I used the lighter weight! It probably helped that I learned how to use the kettlebell properly first, and modified any of her moves that didn't feel right to me. I do that with all exercises DVD's. If a move doesn't feel right, I'm probably not doing it right or it's not a safe move, so I don't do it.
  • charl_hcafc
    charl_hcafc Posts: 50
    Options
    Bumping for later! :smile:
  • Trilby16
    Trilby16 Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    Are you all using just the one weight or a variety of different weighted kettlebells?

And what's the warm like? I'll have to find a tutorial.

This is a good one to start with:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6pDMOIlPLFE

I LOVE doing kettlebells. I do most of this routine with a 10 pounder (I'm an old lady) but a couple I do with a 15 pounder. I'm going to try to do more with the 15 lb because I need more muscle soreness in my life.
  • Trilby16
    Trilby16 Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    Someone above makes a good point-- start out with an easily manageable weight while you learn good form and various swings. Work up to heavier.
  • chattyrat
    chattyrat Posts: 3
    Options
    I love kettlebells! I've been doing them for a year now and had great results. They take a bit of getting used to and it's important to learn the correct form, but they are totally worth it. The best thing about them is that you can do nice short workouts with them (I'm a busy mum of 2 and just haven't got time to spend hours at the gym).

There's a great free PDF guide you can from easykettlebells.com - it's really useful for anyone looking to get started, gives you a great overview of what kettlebells are all about.
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    Are you all using just the one weight or a variety of different weighted kettlebells?

I LOVE doing kettlebells. I do most of this routine with a 10 pounder (I'm an old lady) but a couple I do with a 15 pounder. I'm going to try to do more with the 15 lb because I need more muscle soreness in my life.

One of the main issues with starting light with these ballistic movements is that proper form is not possible to learn with one that is too light. This is why the RKC (the organization which certifies trainers to teach kettlebell work) recommends an 8kg/18lb starting weight for women. Using a bell that's too light, certain muscles that are supposed to engage during basic ballistic movements such as the swing don't. This leads to injuries later on down the line because exercises that SHOULD be using key lower body muscle groups end up favoring the upper body. This is very bad and dangerous.
  • DalekBrittany
    DalekBrittany Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options

One of the main issues with starting light with these ballistic movements is that proper form is not possible to learn with one that is too light. This is why the RKC (the organization which certifies trainers to teach kettlebell work) recommends an 8kg/18lb starting weight for women. Using a bell that's too light, certain muscles that are supposed to engage during basic ballistic movements such as the swing don't. This leads to injuries later on down the line because exercises that SHOULD be using key lower body muscle groups end up favoring the upper body. This is very bad and dangerous.

What is even more bad and dangerous is suggesting a person pick up and swing around an 18 pound weight when they very well may not be able to. Bottom line, it is too heavy for some to start out with.
  • silverlining84
    silverlining84 Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    I love love love kettlebells! I've incorporated them into my workout routine and i'm seeing more definition in my arms, plus they're tons of fun! I use a variety of weight depending on the exercise i'm doing. I'm fortunate that my gym has a variety of weights available.
  • contingencyplan
    Options

What is even more bad and dangerous is suggesting a person pick up and swing around an 18 pound weight when they very well may not be able to. Bottom line, it is too heavy for some to start out with.

Hence the importance of being instructed how with a training session. You may say it's too heavy for some, but there's a reason that the RKC has stated that kettlebells lighter than that should not be used except in the case of physical therapy/rehab purposes. And because of the nature of compound ballistic movements, it is virtually impossible to practice the move and get proper form down with a weight that is too light because of the nature of how muscles engage.
  • elisew34
    elisew34 Posts: 27
    Options
    I started my fitness 3 months ago using the KettleWorx workout set and have to say I love it! I now see muscle tone where I thought I'd never see it again and I've lost weight too which is always a bonus :smile:

Can I just ask, how do you log kettlebell workouts on the 'planner' here? I can't seem to find anything on the kettlebell exercise :frown:
  • contingencyplan
    Options
    I started my fitness 3 months ago using the KettleWorx workout set and have to say I love it! I now see muscle tone where I thought I'd never see it again and I've lost weight too which is always a bonus :smile:

Can I just ask, how do you log kettlebell workouts on the 'planner' here? I can't seem to find anything on the kettlebell exercise :frown:

You need a HRM. However, Kettleworx is more weighted aerobics than it is actual kettlebell training. Orthodox kettlebell training is very different. Kettleworx is to kettlebell training what 30 Day Shred is to weightliftng, if that makes sense.
  • charmarbobar
    charmarbobar Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Bumping cause I'm still kinda new to kettlebell and love it too!

I started with Fitness Blender on you tube, I love the way the workout is layed out and that I can play my own music while I listen to the exercise prompts.
  • nikki2609
    nikki2609 Posts: 128
    Options
    Bump for laters x
  • lkm111
    lkm111 Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    I have Jillians "Shred it with Weights" which recommends using a kettlebell (I use a 10lb-er). I love this DVD, and lost 10 lbs and several inches in 2 months with it. My kettlebell came with a little instruction book on various exercise, which was good, but I like how Jillian puts her workouts together.

That's two strikes:

1. Jillian's Shred It With Weights DVD has been highly criticized because the form she pushes is VERY bad and will get you hurt as you move up to heavier weights. VERY bad form.

2. 10 lbs is far too light when doing conventional kettlebell exercises because when you work with a kettlebell you need to ensure certain stabilizer muscles engage, which will only happen when working with a heavy enough weight. The RKC recommends beginning women start with an 8kg (approx. 18lb) kettlebell MINIMUM. Using less than that will prevent key muscle groups from engaging which makes proper form during many exercises impossible.

That's one strike:

10 lbs is not far too light for some people. You are only supposed to start with what you can handle, telling a beginner to pick up an 18 lb KB is not smart if that person can't handle it. I use a 4kg one because I cannot do all my reps with anything heavier for now.

I totally agree! I had some joint/muscular issues before working with Kettlebells. Because I started out light (5 lb.) and worked my way up, I'm now ready for 12 lbs. I am in much better shape and most of my issues are gone.
  • lkm111
    lkm111 Posts: 629 Member
    Options

I'm another KettleWorx fan! I had been doing a lot of cardio (Zumba/TurboFire), but no one really noticed how much weight I had lost until about 3 weeks after I added KettleWorx. I can see that I will eventually have to find a more challenging kettlebell workout, though. I never thought I would be able to say that!
  • joyfulhappyheart
    joyfulhappyheart Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Hubby and I have been doing kettlebell bombshell (video 1) and enjoying it.
    I might try the kettleworx one for variety.

Any tips on where to get it cheap?

Thanks!
  • contingencyplan
    Options
    Hubby and I have been doing kettlebell bombshell (video 1) and enjoying it.
    I might try the kettleworx one for variety.

Any tips on where to get it cheap?

Thanks!

Be warned going into it, Kettleworx is not actually a kettlebell training video. Most of the moves they have you doing were adapted from aerobics using 2-3 lb hand weight dumbbells. If you are looking into more orthodox kettlebell training I recommend something like Skogg System.