After 65 lb weight loss.. NOW being called fat?

Options
Hey everyone! I'm Stephanie. I'm 26, and just recently got back on MFP. I was doing a great job.. really kicking *kitten* at losing weight. I lost 65 lbs in about 6 months, and was not slowing down. I love exercising, I love eating well.. just love the way it makes me feel!
So whats the problem you might ask? Well, shortly after I reached my 65 lb mark of my weight loss, I was at the gym running on the treadmill... was at about a mile and a half, when I looked over and seen a couple of girls looking at me and laughing. I tried to push it out of my mind, telling myself that they weren't laughing at me.. it was just my insecurities getting the best of me. Well, when I was done, I went to the trash to throw away something and they came up to me. the one girl said 'hey.. no offense, but we were wondering how you do it?' I asked do what? and the other girl (while the first one started to laugh) said 'well, you're really, really big... dont you wanna pass out or something?'
I was devastated. I just turned around and walked out.. I never did go back.
Since then (about 7 months ago), I have very slowly gained 10 lbs back. I have also had 2 people ask me when I was expecting, a child ask me why I was so fat, another child tell me nobody wants to see my fat body in a bathing suit (which is why i do not own one), and someone at work tell me not to sit in a chair in case it broke. My best friend also is big, and she always says shes happy she has a fat friend because all her other ones are skinny, pretty and perfect.
I dont understand... I NEVER got anything said about my weight when I was 330+ lbs, now that I'm 275 I'm hearing it all the time. I know it should motivate me to keep going, but its like ok.. ive come so far, now what? NOW I get called fat? Its killing me.

has anyone else experienced anything like this before? I dont know what to do... I feel like its pointless to continue.

257fd887-b163-4715-a566-013f9dd8d6aa_zps1fba56e3.jpg

JoesSweatshirt_zps01c6d10e.jpg

Replies

• kamakazeekim
    kamakazeekim Posts: 1,183 Member
    Options
    You are doing an AMAZING thing for yourself! You committed to get healthy! I've been there...I've been called fat and had children say insensitive things to me...it hurts really bad. You are a beautiful worthwhile women! We here are MFP supporting and cheering you on!
  • Juniper3411
    Juniper3411 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Aw sweetie this is so hard to hear!!! Seriously, don't give up on it. People are mean. Period. It's horrible, but unavoidable. There is nothing to be gained from giving up (except for you know...well...weight) Take those horrible comments and use them as FUEL to keep going. And maybe pick another gym that is a little more forgiving as far as the type of people who go there.

You can do this, and CONGRATS on your amazing progress already! You can see a huge difference between your before and after!
  • stackhead
    stackhead Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I'm the same, I never really noticed any comments when I was 303lbs+ but a few weeks ago I got a "there she blows" comment when I was walking past a group of lads in a club. In all honesty it made me laugh! I was like "i've lost 40lbs and you're making whale comments NOW?!"

This is something our parents tell us, "people who feel the need to comment on others are trying to cover up their own insecurities". it's hard, but brush it off and use them positively. Like those girls in the gym, use it as motivation to run further and faster so you can be like 'yeah, i'm big but i'm still doing this!'

I also think it helps to have a realistic (but not negative) body image. At 275 yeah, you're overweight... AND?! Acknowledge it and embrace it and then go do something about it.
  • JustSammi
    Options
    First thing first, you look GREAT! Secondly, f**k them all. Sorry, not helpful but this made me angry and I can't think of anything mature to say.

The girls in the gym, just being *****y, some girls are like that. They can see that you're working hard and they try to shoot you down probably to make them feel better about their own insecurities. As for the kids, they are children and sometimes they say things without realising that it's mean, hopefully their parents will have had words with them about it. And your best friend probably has insecurities too, she probably wasn't trying to be mean (I read it like she was joking). Keep your head up and carry on, you have done fantastically well and the difference is dramatic!
  • Sheltie4me
    Sheltie4me Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Hi I may be 25 yrs older than you but don' t let any of the skinny mini S for brains at the gym play with your mind , Its not worth it you have done amazing keep it up . My daughter is 25 we go to the gym together and she always tells me get in your zone and do your workout it does not matter what other people say I have 40 lbs more to go and I wont let a couple of bubble brains get me down unless they are both personal trainers they know nothing about me . So my advise to you is keep up the good work and make it fun !!! If you don't mind a Mom being your friend feel free to add me .:) Theresa
  • EirePetal
    EirePetal Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    First of all, Damn, you look great. There is such a huge difference in your pictures. Second, damn, those are some painful stories.

Don't give up! It is not pointless to continue. You are becoming healthier and more fit for your own quality of life. People can be mean and ignorant. And I don't know if it is possible to ignore them completely. I know that I will always be sensitive about this. But you need to get back to "kicking *kitten* at losing weight" if that is what is best for you. We got your back here. Go and metaphorically smack all them haters in the face by just doing what you do.
  • qtgonewild
    qtgonewild Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options
    First off let me say YOU LOOK GREAT!!!!! Secondly I dont even know what to say. People are so rude. There is something seriously wrong with this world. And that is why I havent gone to the gym yet. I walk and I get smiled at and thumbs up'd at so it actually feels great. But until I get to 210 or 200 Im just not going in to the GYM. i cant believe that every one has spoken to you like that, and I apologize. You are a beautiful woman and are doing an amazing job. Just thinik of how wonderful you will look if you dont let these haters get you down and just keep doing you!!!. Please. Forget them.
  • CkepiJinx
    CkepiJinx Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    I am sorry this happened to you!

Do not let those girls deter you from doing your thing at the gym, they are rude immature and so not worth your time and effort. I know it hurt and that was their only goal to hurt you. You are lovely and you can do this.

As far as children making comments, they don't know any better and clearly have poor role models. Let it go.

The people at work are also not nice people and you don't deserve to be treated that way.

Don't give up, you know you feel better exercising and having lost weight. Remember that feeling! Find some good friends on here that can support you becoming a healthier happier you! Add me if you would like. :flowerforyou:
  • Phildog47
    Phildog47 Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    Does it matter who is calling who fat? What really matters is: How do YOU perceive YOURSELF?
  • pangy1958
    pangy1958 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    People can be so ignorant and hurtful. I am not going to say ignore their comments because I know you can't. It does hurt I have been there. some times people say things before their brains are engaged. As for the girls in the gym they just need to get a life, instead of laughing and commenting on you, they should get on the treadmill and do a mile.

You have done so well and in your photo you look so well and pretty. What ever you do don't give up. your doing it for yourself.
  • TheCaren
    TheCaren Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    You look amazing.

And frankly, I'm 5'4" tall and weigh 120 pounds and couldn't run a mile and a half if someone was chasing me with a machete. So you are to be commended for not only the weight loss, but the healthy lifestyle you're creating for yourself. Who cares what a few strangers think. They have no idea where you've come from.
  • lhippa
    lhippa Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Tell them that what goes around comes around. Or ask how high their IQ is.
  • themanda04
    themanda04 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    wow. i mean...just WOW. you totally got hit with *kitten* wagon there.

people suck. they suck all the time, and out in the open and everything. they are stupid, moronic, hurtful, ignorant d*ckbags who should learn to keep their stupid, moronic, ignorant d*ckbag mouths shut.

they won't, though. they'll keep saying mean, stupid, hurtful things...if not to you, then to other people. The best you can do is to realize that they have soul cancer, and go say something nice and wonderful to someone else. Balance out their negative vibes with your own positive ones and do your best to not let them get to you.

i know it hurts, but i think that you are ADORABLE.
  • brittney1211
    brittney1211 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Eff 'em. First of all I'd like to see them with 100 lb weighted vests doing what you're doing. THink about that...isn't it amazing what you are doing?! Your body is working for you! That's an amazing thing in itself. Put it in perspective. You are making HEALTHY choices and that's what is important. And good for you for doing what's right for your body- working out and eating right. Don't let them or ANYONE stand in your way of progress. You're letting them win if you let them stand in your way. So- go knock 'em down and continue right on with your progress. More people are proud and respect what you're doing. :flowerforyou:
  • dawn_eichert
    dawn_eichert Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    Wow!!!! 1st off - you look fabulous. Obviously your workout is paying off because I weigh less than you and frankly I think you look in better shape.

2nd - don't let some bimbos throw you off track. You are doing this for you and doing great at it. Go back to your gym, get back on that treadmill and keep going. If you see them again, you have two choices 1) ignore them or 2) if they say something to you, respond back to them that you are improving your life one step at a time and would appreciate it they would get out of your way. Then again you could just tell them to go F themselves as well.

Don't let anyone tear you down. They aren't worth it. You are the one who is worth it!!!!!
  • CarolynB38
    CarolynB38 Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    Hon, you are beautiful and have done a great job so far. Don't worry what people say. People can be mean. Perhaps those girls were just amazed how fit you are. Yes, they were rude and insensitive but you are doing amazingly well if they thought you should be passing out. See that as an achievement. You can do way more than most other people your weight. To be honest, you are probably fitter than those girls and they are probably jealous underneath their meanness.

Please don't let other people put you off doing what you like to do and for doing such a great thing for your health. Get back to it and show them just how great you are! You have done great so far so don't let these people stop you from getting to your goal.

You can do this :flowerforyou:

Carolyn xxx
  • laceylucas86
    Options
    YOU LOOK WONDERFUL!!! do not let anyone bring you down! you have worked so hard, screw them! no one knows you, what your circumstances are or what you have been through they have no right to judge you, to hell with them! I say keep on trucking and frig those morons!
  • emmalouc93
    emmalouc93 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    You look great and NEVER let people get to you.. Easier said than done, I know.

Girls can be the bichiest people on this planet, and it is crap, but the best medicine is to ignore them.

You know what you have done, and you have come a long way.

Keep going as you are and someday you can look back and say you done it!

Good luck
  • jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    Some people are terrible.

If you feel like being snarky, you can always respond to the mean girls and tell them, you can always improve your weight, but they'll permanently be stuck on stupid. No amount of working out will fix that. ;)

But most importantly, don't let your appearance (and stupid people) drive your self-worth. You are always awesome whether you are 300 pounds or 130.
  • ritchiedrama
    ritchiedrama Posts: 1,304 Member
    Options
    Well, from the first picture, to the second picture - there is a massive difference, like, really.

You shouldn't care what people say now, cause you have the comparison of what you've achieved.

I was fat and people called me fat everyday, including family members and friends - now I'm in better shape than every last person who ever called me fat, use it as motivation.