Sugar or sugar substitute?

Options
Hi everyone,

I'm making my back-to-college grocery list and I want a box of sugar packets so I don't have to measure my sugar for coffee/tea/hot chocolate. I'm lazy :P haha What are your favorite brands of sugar or sugar substitute packets?

Replies

• tworthen79
    tworthen79 Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    splenda or stevia
  • Erica6130
    Erica6130 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    With much practice, I learned how to limit my sugar intake. There are so many different opinions on it so If I need to use some, I just stick with "sugar in the raw", when I need to use sugar, or I use honey. I personally hate the taste of splenda/sweet n low stuff. I have a heard different opinions of honey vs agave... stevia plant extract vs "store bought stevia" vs "stevia in liquid form"...so at this point who freaking knows.:sad:

And oh yeah there is the whole "stay away from artificial sweetner" disclaimer that I hear too....so as I stated who freaking knows what to believe at this point.:sad:
  • HisStrengthCounselor
    HisStrengthCounselor Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Stay away from refined sugar and artificial sweetners including splenda..you would surprised that a lot of foods have hidden sugar...other than the word 'sugar' , look for these ingredients to avoid: dextrose, glucose, fructose, sucrolose, maltodextrin, basically anything ending in 'ose' , and maltodextrin, high fructose corn syrup, corn sweetners, nectar, cane crystals, fruit juice concentrate, these ingredients are just sugar in Ur body. If you go to your food cabinet or your shoppin list, and look at your so called healthy foods, and look at the ingredients, you will find alot of them have the bad sugar ingredients.

And there is extensive research on why artificial sweetners are bad available on the internet if you want to know the science behind it-

instead.try Xylitol or stevia sweet drops. organic honey
    but stay away from Stevia in the raw- its toxic to your body
  • tj1376
    tj1376 Posts: 1,402 Member
    Options
    I use stevia or splenda, they were approved by my nutritionist so I use them. I still don't use much, Im not much on overly sweet things.
  • thisismeraw
    thisismeraw Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    Stay away from refined sugar and artificial sweetners including splenda..you would surprised that a lot of foods have hidden sugar...other than the word 'sugar' , look for these ingredients to avoid: dextrose, glucose, fructose, sucrolose, maltodextrin, basically anything ending in 'ose' , and maltodextrin, high fructose corn syrup, corn sweetners, nectar, cane crystals, fruit juice concentrate, these ingredients are just sugar in Ur body. If you go to your food cabinet or your shoppin list, and look at your so called healthy foods, and look at the ingredients, you will find alot of them have the bad sugar ingredients.

And there is extensive research on why artificial sweetners are bad available on the internet if you want to know the science behind it-

instead.try Xylitol or stevia sweet drops. organic honey
    but stay away from Stevia in the raw- its toxic to your body

There is nothing that has really been proven to say that artificial sweeteners are bad. Use them if that's what you want to use. I use them and don't have issues with them. I have yet to see any real proof that they will cause me to get cancer or grow a second head. Some people have issues with them but not everyone has to avoid them.

Xylitol is a processed artificial sweetener. It is a sugar alcohol and harms many people. Stevia drops and truvia drops are not guaranteed to be safe.

Where did you get that stevia in the raw is toxic to your body? I have yet to hear this one. If stevia in the raw is toxic than all stevia will be.

OP, use whatever you prefer and fits into your budget and calories. I personally use sweeteners and sometimes real sugar. I don't use them often at all because most things are great without sugar. Ultimately, pick whatever you prefer.
  • kellyhdent
    Options
    we have a beekeeper as a next door neighbor, so all I usually use is honey, or raw sugar. I don't like the taste of artificial sweeteners, never have, so I never use them.

use what's accessible to you - whether its "real" sugar or artificial. I understand using the packs for easy measuring - smart thinking! I hate having to measure all the little things sometimes.
  • WanderingCavalcade
    WanderingCavalcade Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    My absolute favorite sweetener is dark amber maple syrup, but that's probably because I live in the north east, where it's easy to get year-round.

Other sweeteners I've used that aren't refined sugar (which I only use for some baking because of the way it reacts with other ingredients) are lavender honey (although any kind is fine) and Splenda Essentails* with the occasional nip of dark brown sugar instead of regular for that molasses-y flavor!

* PLEASE NOTE! Splenda is NOT a calorie-free sweetener; in fact none of the ones on supermarket shelves are! According to FDA regulations, any food item with less than 5 calories a serving can be legally labelled zero calories! Splenda and other such sweeteners have about 4 calories per serving (because one gram of carbs is approximately 4 calories) unless a different amount is stated on the packaging. The reason I prefer Essentials over regular Splenda is because those 4 calories are attributed to a gram of fiber instead of just regular sugar carbs.

Also note that while there is no conclusive evidence that artificial sweeteners are necessarily harmful to humans, there are a lot of people who have an intolerance to these sweeteners; most commonly aspartame. So, if you have any sort of symptoms that could be attributed to an allergic reaction after eating any artificial sweetener, stop eating it (duh) and talk to your doctor, just as with any reaction to any other food!
  • czrewor
    czrewor Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Im sorry but Stevia tastes nasty and tastes nothing like Sugar so in my opinion I go without - I just mainly drink herbal tea or on occasional might treat myself to tea with real sugar (low variety) :)
  • wickedmessenger
    wickedmessenger Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I use no sugar or sugar subs these days. BUT, I used to use agave in my coffee. IMO, it works better than honey for coffee because it doesn't have a flavor...honey has that...honey flavor :-) Honey is for hot tea when you have a sore throat.
  • arghbowl
    arghbowl Posts: 1,179 Member
    Options
    Personally I would just use unrefined sugar packets. I don't trust the artificial sweeteners in sugar substitute, and unrefined sugar is at least a *little* healthier.
  • ritchiedrama
    ritchiedrama Posts: 1,304 Member
    Options
    Sugar is fine

Artificial Sweeteners are fine.

Stop this madness.
  • caramelgyrlk
    caramelgyrlk Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options
    Once in awhile I use Agave Nectar or Stevia leaf.

My body could never tolerate artificial sugar.
  • sirpilsofd
    sirpilsofd Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I use Agave, it's lower on the glycemic index which means it breaks down into your blood stream slower so you don't get a sugar rush. It is also 25% sweeter so you use less. Also if you get your own still you can make tequila out of it.
  • BarefootSerenity
    Options
    I used to use sugar, then sweet n low, then splenda, the stevia... now I am sugar and artificial sugar/sweetener-free. It isn't good for you. Do some research. Raw honey is the best natural sweetener for your body and mind. If you ever get a chance to read IT STARTS WITH FOOD, read their section on sugar.
  • mrmagee3
    mrmagee3 Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    Sugar is fine

Stop this madness.

It's gotta be tough, railing against invisible demons all the time. Your post has nothing to do with OPs question.
  • ritchiedrama
    ritchiedrama Posts: 1,304 Member
    Options
    Sugar is fine

Stop this madness.

It's gotta be tough, railing against invisible demons all the time. Your post has nothing to do with OPs question.

It's gotta be tough, realising that I was clearly replying to a whole range of people who were saying things like "I dont trust artificial sweetners"
  • arghbowl
    arghbowl Posts: 1,179 Member
    Options
    Sugar is fine

Stop this madness.

It's gotta be tough, realising that I was clearly replying to a whole range of people who were saying things like "I dont trust artificial sweetners"

What does it matter if someone doesn't trust artificial sweeteners? Personally I'm from the "If I can't pronounce it, I won't eat it" group.

It's the same thing as the whole "which is better - butter or margarine" crap.
  • kuntry_navy
    kuntry_navy Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    we have a beekeeper as a next door neighbor, so all I usually use is honey, or raw sugar. I don't like the taste of artificial sweeteners, never have, so I never use them.

use what's accessible to you - whether its "real" sugar or artificial. I understand using the packs for easy measuring - smart thinking! I hate having to measure all the little things sometimes.

I do this and swap sugar with local honey, cause I get whupped by allergies. Other than that, I'm a real sugar kinda guy
  • sartorialscientist
    Options
    I like splenda. I usually grab a few extra packets every time I go to Starbucks, and then I never have to buy my own ;)

I've also weaned myself off of additional sweet stuff for the most part. When I first started, I was a cream + 2 sugars in my coffee kind of girl. I slowly decreased both the cream and sugar and over time I got used to it. Now I almost always drink black coffee (unless of course it's bad coffee, then you need the sugar to cover up the bitter taste! Haha)
  • latenitelucy
    latenitelucy Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    Sugar is fine

Stop this madness.

Agreed. I use both. I have artificial in my drinks (when I have soda or tea) just 'cause I have a mindset that I'm not going to drink my calories.