After 65 lb weight loss.. NOW being called fat?

Options

Replies

• grdone1970
    Options
    Good job on your weight loss. My wife and I started our weight loss journey 19 months ago. I was 317 and my wife was so big that she had to be weighed on a feed scale.405 at one point. She is down to 188 and 196 myself. It has taken lots of willpower and exercise everyday.Don't let anyone stop you from reaching your goals.Keep up the good work as your body will thank you for it!:happy:
  • joyfulhappyheart
    joyfulhappyheart Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    It's why I wont go to gyms. I live in a suburb of Dallas. The area I live in is near a ultra-rich area (I'm nowhere near that! LOL) but all the gyms have these gorgeous trophy-wives and rich-men-hunters. And they are so mean.

I have a friend who swears they do it to keep the "rif raf" out of their clubs-- so that it's only full of pretty people.

I dunno. But I have better things to do than surround myself with that negativity and evil mentality.
  • Ranocchia
    Ranocchia Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    You did such a good job! Those girls were *****es. Plain and simple. Prepare some super rude answer in case it happens again, and show the world how consistency works!
    Congrats on your efforts so far, your pic shows a huge difference!
  • SkinnyMsFitness
    SkinnyMsFitness Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone! I'm Stephanie. I'm 26, and just recently got back on MFP. I was doing a great job.. really kicking *kitten* at losing weight. I lost 65 lbs in about 6 months, and was not slowing down. I love exercising, I love eating well.. just love the way it makes me feel!
    So whats the problem you might ask? Well, shortly after I reached my 65 lb mark of my weight loss, I was at the gym running on the treadmill... was at about a mile and a half, when I looked over and seen a couple of girls looking at me and laughing. I tried to push it out of my mind, telling myself that they weren't laughing at me.. it was just my insecurities getting the best of me. Well, when I was done, I went to the trash to throw away something and they came up to me. the one girl said 'hey.. no offense, but we were wondering how you do it?' I asked do what? and the other girl (while the first one started to laugh) said 'well, you're really, really big... dont you wanna pass out or something?'
    I was devastated. I just turned around and walked out.. I never did go back.
    Since then (about 7 months ago), I have very slowly gained 10 lbs back. I have also had 2 people ask me when I was expecting, a child ask me why I was so fat, another child tell me nobody wants to see my fat body in a bathing suit (which is why i do not own one), and someone at work tell me not to sit in a chair in case it broke. My best friend also is big, and she always says shes happy she has a fat friend because all her other ones are skinny, pretty and perfect.
    I dont understand... I NEVER got anything said about my weight when I was 330+ lbs, now that I'm 275 I'm hearing it all the time. I know it should motivate me to keep going, but its like ok.. ive come so far, now what? NOW I get called fat? Its killing me.

has anyone else experienced anything like this before? I dont know what to do... I feel like its pointless to continue.

257fd887-b163-4715-a566-013f9dd8d6aa_zps1fba56e3.jpg

JoesSweatshirt_zps01c6d10e.jpg

You look so amazing, seriously!! Don't let others bring you down! People are ignorant...mostly b/c they're uneducated/inexperienced. Those girls were just ignorant f**ks and it really makes me mad they did this. 10 lbs is not a big deal..I'm sure 5 of that is water weight! Please don't let them ruin this for you. And let me say, I used to be skinny, like 140 at 5'7 and ppl asked me if I was pregnant a few times! It happens. We just have to brush it off and go on our merry ways. Stomach fat is the hardest to get rid of some ignorant ppl just can't help themselves but ask us females that time to time...and I've seen it happen to a handful of others too!!

I think you're hearing all these "fat" comments b/c you are skinnier now. At 330 people may have felt more sympathetic where at 275 ppl feel you're maybe skinny-fat?! Not meaning to offend you with the "skinny-fat," hell I'm there too, just trying to explain with lack of proper words...

You know what I say?! Use all these negative comments to fuel your workouts! Nothing works better for me than stress/grievance/irritability! =)) Please don't let these ppl ruin the new you. I was called fat when I was skinny 10+ yrs ago. I may have been 5-10 lbs overweight! People are just rude!

Just focus on how much better you feel now that you're 55 lbs lighter and how much better you'll continue feeling as you lose more. And, I know when you're on a regular workout routine and eating better you feel happy. I know this b/c this is where I am at. Good luck!!! Just focus on you.
  • 1990sophia1990
    1990sophia1990 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Oh my GOD I can't believe they were so horrible to you :( I am so sorry to hear that, if you were hear I would offer you a cup of tea and we could sit and watch a funny film :) Keep at it you are doing an AMAZING job, not only are you incredibly determined and gorgeous but you have a lovely mind too :) Ignore them, you're awesome :)
  • zanne54
    zanne54 Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Stephanie, if you have the strength and determination to stay on track for 6 months and lose 65 pounds - a tremendous accomplishment - then why are you giving your power away to people who don't matter? You're not doing this for them; you're doing it for YOU. Focus on the positive in your life, and derive your energy from your success. Look at what you have achieved so far! In your wildest dreams when you started your journey, could you have ever imagined you'd be where you are now? Probably not, but yet here you are. YOU. YOU did it. Nobody else. Nothing any mean girls, thoughtless people or rude children say or do can take that power away from you, unless you choose to let it go. So, take your power back from negative strangers (who don't matter at all) and and refocus it on yourself, your positive achievements and motivate yourself to pursue your goal!
  • peeaanuut
    peeaanuut Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    keep up the work and F everyone else. Do it for you.

A friend of mine when through the same thing. He was 450lbs to start, he lost 100 lbs. So those of us that knew him were amazed! But, to everyone else, he was stil a 350lb person so to them he was still overweight and would still make comments and snide remarks. It takes time but you have to learn to tune them out or even better, get some good comebacks.

Either way you do it, walk with pride on your accomplishments and keep working for YOUR goals.
  • R4eBro
    R4eBro Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Screw them...how dare they! You keep at it girl, you are beautiful inside and out! Don't ever let anyone take your spirit! You should be proud of your accomplishments. You look great!!
  • moosegt35
    moosegt35 Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    I say #$^* those people and just keep doing what you were doing and losing. You have made a HUGE jump from your before to after pics in your profile. Just imagine 6 more months if you lose another 30 or so pounds how much better you will look and feel. Some people are just @%^ holes and need to be ignored, sounds like you have met a few of them.
  • R4eBro
    R4eBro Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    You have come too far to let two little twats get you down!!!!
    [/quote]

I love it! My thoughts exactly! Wenches!
  • StephG1130
    StephG1130 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    wow! i never expected to get so many amazing people responding to this post! Thank you so much everyone. I have read every one of the posts and have been bawling my eyes out the whole time. lol! Its AMAZING to see so many people behind me, and to see so many encouraging words. Thank you. This is exactly what I needed. You all have helped so much, some have given me a hardy smack of reality in the face... THANK YOU!

some questions answered...
    gym i went to: planet fitness
    the girls were being mean about it... they were laughing and said it in a mocking tone.
    no, i havent continued my diet since, not really.. and havent really exercised. I like healthy things though, so my choices are better than they once were, so thats why i have only gained 10 lbs in the past 7 months.

thank you again everyone... you are so amazing.
  • NataBost
    NataBost Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    wow! i never expected to get so many amazing people responding to this post! Thank you so much everyone. I have read every one of the posts and have been bawling my eyes out the whole time. lol! Its AMAZING to see so many people behind me, and to see so many encouraging words. Thank you. This is exactly what I needed. You all have helped so much, some have given me a hardy smack of reality in the face... THANK YOU!

some questions answered...
    gym i went to: planet fitness
    the girls were being mean about it... they were laughing and said it in a mocking tone.
    no, i havent continued my diet since, not really.. and havent really exercised. I like healthy things though, so my choices are better than they once were, so thats why i have only gained 10 lbs in the past 7 months.

thank you again everyone... you are so amazing.

YOU are amazing. Keep it up. I thought that at PF no lunkheads were allowed?? ;)
  • meadowsmummy
    Options
    I am 265 ish and i dont look half as good as you...keep up the good work
  • JaceyMarieS
    JaceyMarieS Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    I had practically the same thing happen last week. Two uppity little things looked, laughed and then one said to the other (in an uppity, sing-song voice) " I don't think it's woooooorrrr - kkkkking" with a wink and nudge to the other.

I was THIS close to heaving a barbell at them .... or dissolving into tears ... or walking out ... or walking out and driving to the nearest Taco Bell.

All those things hurt ME though (except the barbell - pretty sure that would have hurt them), so instead, I took a drink, mopped off my beet-red face to make sure that no tears had escaped and replied "Actually, I've lost more than 100 pounds so it is working. I'm sorry it's not working fast enough to spare your delicate eyes from the disgusting sight of my fatness, so I'll just suggest you check back in another couple months"

Then I stopped. Didn't say another word. And stared.

They left

So keep your head up!
  • VeganLexi
    VeganLexi Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    I had practically the same thing happen last week. Two uppity little things looked, laughed and then one said to the other (in an uppity, sing-song voice) " I don't think it's woooooorrrr - kkkkking" with a wink and nudge to the other.

I was THIS close to heaving a barbell at them .... or dissolving into tears ... or walking out ... or walking out and driving to the nearest Taco Bell.

All those things hurt ME though (except the barbell - pretty sure that would have hurt them), so instead, I took a drink, mopped off my beet-red face to make sure that no tears had escaped and replied "Actually, I've lost more than 100 pounds so it is working. I'm sorry it's not working fast enough to spare your delicate eyes from the disgusting sight of my fatness, so I'll just suggest you check back in another couple months"

They left

So keep your head up!

I love this! :flowerforyou:
  • maybeazure
    maybeazure Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    I've heard stuff like that all my life. It's easy to say "ignore" it, but much harder to do. It hurts. You shouldn't quit exercising and losing weight, but there is no reason to put up with people being rude either.

My husband is also very large and he lived in Japan for awhile. One day when he was at a restaurant he heard a couple of teenage girls laughing and talking about how fat he was (in Japanese, they probably assumed he didn't understand.) As he left he passed their table and said in perfect Japanese: "I may be fat, but at least I am not rude." They were quite embarrassed.
  • NataBost
    NataBost Posts: 418 Member
    Options

They left

So keep your head up!

Best. Comeback. EVER. Good on you!
  • cheryl3660
    cheryl3660 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    It's not pointless and please try and ignore the haters. I know it's hard because they say such hurtful things, some without even realizing it. But sometimes people need to insult others in order to feel good about themselves. It's them, not you.

Please go back and look at your happy smiling face in your profile picture. THAT is why you are doing this and that is why you can get back up and keep going every time someone says something insensitive. Because you do this for yourself and how it makes you feel, not to comply with what others think.

Hang in there!
  • gringuitica
    gringuitica Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    You've already had some great advice, so I hope you can take it to heart. This is what I'll add:

I know how hard it is to ignore those comments. The fact that you're posting here means they really hurt you. It's okay to feel that. And as for using it as motivation, if you can, by all means! But if you can't (that kind of motivation never works for me), that's okay too. But here's the thing: those girls, those kids, those ___ don't matter.

They aren't people you love. They aren't people you look up to. They aren't even people you'd like to be friends with. So beyond how hurtful their words are, they don't matter. Their opinion has no greater meaning to your life. Sure, words hurt. But they're just words.

And as you've heard throughout this thread, for every one person who says something nasty to you, dozens are cheering for you. Applauding your commitment and your accomplishments. I'm one of them. So don't quit! Don't give those women or your coworkers or anyone the power to derail this amazing thing you're doing for yourself.
  • cheryl3660
    cheryl3660 Posts: 182 Member
    Options

They left

So keep your head up!

Awesome. I am certain that the next time either one of them think about saying something snarky about someone else, they will remember this moment. It might not stop them from speaking, but it just might.