After 65 lb weight loss.. NOW being called fat?

Options

Replies

• redheaddee
    redheaddee Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you let a couple of @ssholes get to you. Unfortunate really, as you said, you were doing great. Why was one comment able to derail all the hard work you had done? I would spend some time in introspection if not counseling to examine why. (And no, I am NOT being snarky, I am completely serious.) This is not on them honey, it's on you.
  • shoushitai
    Options
    punch those b*&tches in the throat! HAHA
  • GuybrushThreepw00d
    GuybrushThreepw00d Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    you've got a lot of mother ****ers to prove wrong.
    get back on the wagon, show them who's boss.
  • ilovelucy711
    ilovelucy711 Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    That's awful. I would have been mad.
  • TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    I've been called fat when I was 140 pounds. People are jerks.

I suspect that maybe you didn't spend as much time in social situations when you were 65 pounds heavier, and now that you are putting yourself out there, you are seeing people who are gigantic poopy-heads.

Next time something like that happens, act crazy. Pretend you are a rage-a-holic and start growling like a beast at them. Then walk zombie-like toward them as if you are going to pound their skinny *kitten* into the dirt. I promise, they will never bother you again.
  • msgrowinggirl20
    Options
    Don't stop now hun! **** all of them! hmmmmmmm....this reallly made me upset. You're doing great honey!
  • erinxo13
    erinxo13 Posts: 892 Member
    Options
    you look absolutely incredible! I'm sorry that there are unfortunately very rude and idiotic people in this world. I'm 22 and I've been bullied on and off since elementary school about my weight, so i very much understand how much it hurts and how horrible it is. Besides offer some sympathy and empathy and say I would love to be your friend on here to help you out and talk to you - the only thing I can say is - forget them and focus on you. You should be SO proud of your weight loss and shouldn't listen to people who seemingly have no brains.... you look amazing, you're doing great (you'll get that 10lbs off in no time plus more) and just keep calm and carry on... forget about those low people.
  • shannashannabobana
    shannashannabobana Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    I had practically the same thing happen last week. Two uppity little things looked, laughed and then one said to the other (in an uppity, sing-song voice) " I don't think it's woooooorrrr - kkkkking" with a wink and nudge to the other.

I was THIS close to heaving a barbell at them .... or dissolving into tears ... or walking out ... or walking out and driving to the nearest Taco Bell.

All those things hurt ME though (except the barbell - pretty sure that would have hurt them), so instead, I took a drink, mopped off my beet-red face to make sure that no tears had escaped and replied "Actually, I've lost more than 100 pounds so it is working. I'm sorry it's not working fast enough to spare your delicate eyes from the disgusting sight of my fatness, so I'll just suggest you check back in another couple months"

Then I stopped. Didn't say another word. And stared.

They left
    Rock on!

To the OP, you've maintained enough time that your body has probably reset itself to it's new weight and it would be a great time to start working out again. Don't let two b***ches at the gym scare you aware from what you want. I wish you the best, because you are awesome.
  • ChelseaM8726
    Options
    That is just plain rude! Those girls needed to be punched in their face, and that's exactly what I would have done. There would have been a whole new meaning to "workout"! Girl, you are doing great! You're lapping everyone else who is sitting on their *kitten*! Some people are just ignorant and don't know any better, because obviously they were not taught any better! Don't EVER let those ignorant people get to you, they have NO idea what you've been through, or how long you have worked your *kitten* off! It makes me so sick to hear about other girls saying things like that to other girls, ESPECIALLY in a gym. Real women empower each other, not bring each other down! YOU KEEP DOING YOU GIRL and f#$k the rest!!!!
  • peeaanuut
    peeaanuut Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    I have also found that girls that are nasty and mean like that tend to get herpies. So you can smile on the fact that their nasty attitudes will probably lead them to a lifelong STD.
  • Inshape13
    Inshape13 Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    Don't let other people change the fact that you are doing what is right for you and that you are getting healthy. The only reason that people talk crap is to try to make themselves feel better about who they are.....which is insecurity at it's best.

I had the same thing happen after I lost around 90lbs and I just looked at the high schooler on the bus that said "Whoosh" when I was running and said "Really?!?" I was around 140 then and was in no way fat, but people will say whatever to try to impress others or just feel better about themselves and they will target others who don't look like they will challenge them. Honestly, I learned from that to walk/run like I own the damn place....be it the gym or the neighborhood.

You are doing great so don't let anyone take that away from you and let it be a driving force to push you forward. You CAN and SHOULD do this for you!!!
  • DeeBrownBaker
    Options
    first off... you have done an amazing job!!

secondly... you work out for YOU... not the naysayers...

and number 3... let the haters motivate you to lose more!

I used to be very nervous about going to the gym... but I realized that my gym membership is for ME... not those who want to stand around gawking at everybody... so I go in... put in my earbuds... get my sweat on... and I go home... feeling stronger... feeling better about myself...I see them looking... but I also know that when I reach my goal... they'll still be looking... so I give them something to look at...LOL
  • jkleon86
    jkleon86 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Go back to that gym with a T-shirt that says .
    ....yeah, I'm big, your rude! but I'm working on my issues.
  • lharvey2797
    lharvey2797 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I hope it helps to hear those on here that have used encouraging words.
    I will add mine....... GOOD ON YOU!! You have worked very hard to get where you are... that is obvious!
    Don't give up! As they say......haters gonna hate!
    None of it is easy..... but it will all be worth it!! :smile:
  • ajmaupin
    ajmaupin Posts: 44
    Options
    Have NEVER posted but had to now.

1. Kids say whatever pops into their head and mine as well as others have called me fat. Not sure how old the kid was who said the thing about the swimsuit was but.... its rude and obviously, if older were not taught respect.

2. Ever watch "30 Rock"? In one episode the female star of the fictional show gains a lot of weight and was told that people don't like someone who is inbetween fat and skinny. I thought about this and its true. If you're overweight, people think things to themselves (mostly) and go about their day. if you're skinny, there's nothing to be said other than by those jealous or concerned(she's too skinny, must have an eating disorder). when you are inbetween, there is not dialogue as to what to think. If you quit, people notice and will harp on it and if weight loss takes too long people will do the same.

Above- my own opinion

I am 5'4" and 243 lbs, have lost 40 pounds since December and I still received more comments about being fat from strangers when i was 200 compared to now. I also have a husband who loves me no matter what I look like and a good support system.
  • GoinToKickThis
    GoinToKickThis Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    What you need to say to lil brats like that is..I may be fat but I'm losing it. You will always be ugly.... And let it go.. Walk away with your head held high because you have come a long way..
  • gwyndol
    gwyndol Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    People can be HORRIBLE and thoughtless! For me, one of the hardest things is getting past what other people think. I once weighed well over 300 pounds myself, and the worst comments came from kids and coworkers (even after I started losing weight!).

That said, the best gift you can give yourself is to remember why you're getting healthy in the first place. Is it 1) to prove sometime to someone else or is it 2) to feel better physically and, as a result, mentally because you've worked hard and accomplished something just for you? Easier said than done? You bet. That's why it feels so good when you keep at it!

I don't know if this will help, but there's a lovely book that's all about being healthy and accepting yourself. It's called "Fat! So?" I don't know if you'll love it as much as I do, but I figured it wouldn't hurt to mention it.

Please let me know if you need any more support, encouragement, whatever. As I'm sure you can now see, there are lots and lots of folks out here on MFP who are cheering for you!
  • pajouey79
    pajouey79 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Three Things I want to say:

1. ((((((((HUGS!))))))))) You look awesome. DON'T STOP. Go back to that gym and if you see those girls again flip them the bird and keep going.
    2. It reminded me of this: "Great Minds Discuss Ideas, Average Minds Discuss Events, Small Minds Discuss People". (Elenor Roosevelt)
    3. Thank you for being brave enough to post this. I am currently right around 300, and hope this doesn't happen as I lose, but now I have some retorts prepared for when it does.

p.s. I think I look good in a swimsuit even now, so no reason for you not to try. :smokin:
  • fjrandol
    fjrandol Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    It makes me sad every time I hear that someone has been exposed to that kind of rudeness. You have been kicking some serious butt, and doing a stellar job at the weight loss. Please don't let people's idiocy derail you, you deserve so much more! I hope to see you get back on track and continue becoming the best you you can be! It's amazing to look at your before/current photos together btw, your face has really thinned out!!
  • StephG1130
    StephG1130 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you let a couple of @ssholes get to you. Unfortunate really, as you said, you were doing great. Why was one comment able to derail all the hard work you had done? I would spend some time in introspection if not counseling to examine why. (And no, I am NOT being snarky, I am completely serious.) This is not on them honey, it's on you.

I definitely understand what you are saying... but it wasnt just that. that was just the start of it. I broke up with my boyfriend of 11 years in that time also, so that was hard on me, had to move back into my parents with my almost 2 year old who is having a rough time adjusting, i found out my father has two types of cancer, plus he had a minor heart attack... its just on and on. that comment just started it all. I got back into being comfortable being miserable. I'm getting back into good thinking though. Just took some time to get back there. :)