Sugar Lovers take note The Rats became addicted

Options
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2337798/Are-sugar-addict-Scientists-say-high-fructose-corn-syrup-addictive-cocaine.html

A new study by Canadian researchers has found that high-fructose corn syrup can cause reactions similar to those to cocaine
The study measured rats' reactions to higher and higher levels of high-fructose corn syrup
The study suggests that high-fructose corn syrup could explain the current obesity epidemic

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2337798/Are-sugar-addict-Scientists-say-high-fructose-corn-syrup-addictive-cocaine.html#ixzz2cRwZe0uo

Canadian researchers have found that high-fructose corn syrup can cause behavioral reactions in rats 'similar to those produced by drugs of abuse, such as cocaine'.

Professor Francesco Leri of the University of Guelph, who carried out the research, said it suggested there was an addictive quality to foods that contain high levels of high-fructose corn syrup which could explain, at least partly, the current global obesity epidemic.

During the experiment, rats were fed foods containing varying levels of high-fructose corn syrup. They were then given access to a lever which controlled how much syrup they received. The more concentrated the syrup, the harder the rats worked to obtain it.
Canadian researchers have found that high-fructose corn syrup can cause behavioral reactions in rats 'similar to those produced by drugs of abuse, such as cocaine'.

The new findings are part of a growing field of investigation into the effects of high fructose corn syrup, which has been blamed for everything from the obesity epidemic to diabetes and liver disease.

Research from Princeton University in 2010 found that rats fed on a sugary diet became nervous and anxious when the sugar was removed. They were thrown into a state of anxiety similar to the kind of stress that people feel during withdrawal from drugs like nicotine and even morphine.

Professor Bart Hoebel and his team in the Department of Psychology and the Princeton Neuroscience Institute have been studying signs of sugar addiction in rats for years.

Other Names for High Fructose Corn syrup
In addition to “corn syrup,” you might find names like these… * Maize syrup * Glucose syrup * Glucose/fructose syrup * Tapioca syrup * Dahlia syrup * Fruit fructose * Crystalline fructose In Canada, they call it “glucose-fructose.” And in Europe, it’s “isoglucose.” And I’m sure there are more. -
See more at: http://hsionline.com/2013/01/31/spot-high-fructose-corn-syrup/#sthash.FxF4PiEv.dpuf

Replies

• karl39x
    karl39x Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    So... what you're saying is I should cut my cocaine with confectioners sugar, and it will give me a better high?
  • Cindy4FunFit
    Cindy4FunFit Posts: 2,732 Member
    Options
    Sounds about right.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2337798/Are-sugar-addict-Scientists-say-high-fructose-corn-syrup-addictive-cocaine.html

A new study by Canadian researchers has found that high-fructose corn syrup can cause reactions similar to those to cocaine
    The study measured rats' reactions to higher and higher levels of high-fructose corn syrup
    The study suggests that high-fructose corn syrup could explain the current obesity epidemic

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2337798/Are-sugar-addict-Scientists-say-high-fructose-corn-syrup-addictive-cocaine.html#ixzz2cRwZe0uo

Professor Francesco Leri of the University of Guelph, who carried out the research, said it suggested there was an addictive quality to foods that contain high levels of high-fructose corn syrup which could explain, at least partly, the current global obesity epidemic.

During the experiment, rats were fed foods containing varying levels of high-fructose corn syrup. They were then given access to a lever which controlled how much syrup they received. The more concentrated the syrup, the harder the rats worked to obtain it.

The new findings are part of a growing field of investigation into the effects of high fructose corn syrup, which has been blamed for everything from the obesity epidemic to diabetes and liver disease.

Research from Princeton University in 2010 found that rats fed on a sugary diet became nervous and anxious when the sugar was removed. They were thrown into a state of anxiety similar to the kind of stress that people feel during withdrawal from drugs like nicotine and even morphine.

Professor Bart Hoebel and his team in the Department of Psychology and the Princeton Neuroscience Institute have been studying signs of sugar addiction in rats for years.

Other Names for High Fructose Corn syrup
    In addition to “corn syrup,” you might find names like these… * Maize syrup * Glucose syrup * Glucose/fructose syrup * Tapioca syrup * Dahlia syrup * Fruit fructose * Crystalline fructose In Canada, they call it “glucose-fructose.” And in Europe, it’s “isoglucose.” And I’m sure there are more. -
    See more at: http://hsionline.com/2013/01/31/spot-high-fructose-corn-syrup/#sthash.FxF4PiEv.dpuf

Humans=/= Rats. Also if they used the 12 on/off feeding protocol, how would that relate in human terms?
  • Phoenix_Warrior
    Phoenix_Warrior Posts: 1,633 Member
    Options
    I'm Doctor Rockso, the rock n' roll clown... I do..high fructose corn syrup?
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    In for the ridiculous condemnation of sugar...

to be closely followed by the ridiculous condemnation of aspartame!
  • Minnie2361
    Minnie2361 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    How about getting sugar the natural way through fresh fruits .

substitute honey, {a little honey} the body can process it easier.
  • ritchiedrama
    ritchiedrama Posts: 1,304 Member
    Options
    How about getting sugar the natural way through fresh fruits .

substitute honey, {a little honey} the body can process it easier.

How about just having any sugar? It all gets processed the same way in the end.
  • dressagester
    dressagester Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    In to be a lab rat in the cocaine study. Wait, wut?
  • chubby_checkers
    chubby_checkers Posts: 2,354 Member
    Options
    Are you calling me a rat? Rude.
  • da_bears10089
    da_bears10089 Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    did they lose their hair too?

tumblr_mlodcuMiau1rsf064o1_r1_250.gif
  • Phoenix_Warrior
    Phoenix_Warrior Posts: 1,633 Member
    Options
    did they lose their hair too?

tumblr_mlodcuMiau1rsf064o1_r1_250.gif

Rufus from Kim Possible...is that you?!
  • alliemarie77
    alliemarie77 Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    I knew it! It's all part of the conspiracy to keep us fat!
  • nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options
    Oh goodness
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    What would you say if I told you...I'm not a rat?
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    Options
    I totally feel ya...

I remember what it was like to be clean...Then Johnny Johnson came up to me man and was like "Hey man, you wanna try some food."

I was like "Food, what's food". He said it was the best thing ever and once I started I would never stop. i was like "no way man, i'm clean". Alas though, I gave into temptation.

It started out as a whole grain bagel on the weekends, Then wonderbread and Balogna on Wednesdays.

Its gotten so bad man, I'm doing food (giggity) 3-4 times a day. Its so bad, I'm spending hundreds of dollars on the stuff a month. Even worse, my wife is hooked on it also. I can barely function unless I get my fix in multiple times a day. I speak to a group of trouble youths about the dangers of food at the juvenile center here in town.

I'm just hoping my experiences can help others avoid the same mistakes I did. Thanks OP
  • alliemarie77
    alliemarie77 Posts: 378 Member
    Options

What??? Oh the trickery! I JUST can't take it!!
  • Thomasm198
    Thomasm198 Posts: 3,189 Member
    Options
    l.jpg

Addiction-Rat-carbohydrate.jpg
  • SStruthers13
    SStruthers13 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I'm going to eat it anyway.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options

What??? Oh the trickery! I JUST can't take it!!

You know what else?!

You aren't a rat EITHER!

Boom! :explode:
  • PixieGoddess
    PixieGoddess Posts: 1,833 Member
    Options
    I hate to bust the bubble of all the people screaming, "use real sugar, not HFCS!" - but they have found similar results with sugar. I don't have a link to a study right now, but I remember reading it before. So it's not just HFCS (which I will go ahead and say that I avoid as much as possible) but with sugar in general.
This discussion has been closed.