• nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options
    Did someone say cat gif?

tumblr_m4939uyEai1r3j1hmo1_500.gif

fixed :smile:
  • andreaeszter
    Options
    I think you have made excellent progress. It sounds like you are reaching your goal of becoming and staying healthy. You have lost well over 10% body weight, which has already made a significant improvement on your health status. You avoid processed foods and eat organic - at least in part. Other than you are hungry and impatient, I don't see a major problem. You can take it easy on yourself and celebrate your success; be kind to yourself. You need to be your own best coach, patient, encouraging, persistent. You can stop worrying about how easy it is for other people. It is only easy for a small minority of people who are outliers and so far have not been apparently harmed by eating processed non-foods as much as they please. Sooner or later the damage will become visible.

I have found two things that have helped me stay healthy. I ate a clean low-fat vegan diet for two years with no counting and eating plenty with a hearty appetite, which did not lead to either weight gain or weight loss over the entire span of the two years, but worked as maintenance without the stress over the long haul. I had no healthy issues for two years, but after two years I started to feel like I needed to eat all the time to keep my blood sugar from fluctuating and feeling lightheaded. The culprits were fruit, rice, bread, cereal. I decided to try a clean, mainly organic Paleo diet, which led to 10 lb loss right away in the first month. It requires cutting all junk calories (grains, potatoes, processed oils, legumes, dairy) and keeping only what's nutritious (mostly vegetables, nuts, grassfed eggs, pasture butter, grassfed, anti-biotic-free and steroid-free meats). I try to keep carbs at 100 g per day and protein at 80 g per day, the rest is good fats (avocado, unrefined coconut oil, olive oil, nuts). Except for not having many options when eating out, it has not been difficult. I feel that my blood sugar has been at a steady low and my mood has improved. Anyway, if you are already eating clean, this should not be difficult to try.

Congratulations on the progress you have made so far! I hope you find it in yourself to persevere. After all, you want to live healthy. Feel free to friend me.
  • Pookylou
    Pookylou Posts: 988 Member
    Options
    Did someone say cat gif?

KITTY!
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    Did someone say cat gif?

:flowerforyou:
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Now I eat intuitively, and I eat when hungry and stop when full.

This is what I am talking about. Eating healthy and INTUITIVELY. NOW someone is getting it, finally!!! :-)

Geez, what have people been doing for thousands of years without the tools on this forum?... and the suckers were rarely, if ever, overweight.

I want to eat just like they were - intuitively, when hungry, stopping when decently full, NOT logging, and NOT putting on weight.
    Too much to ask?

Yeah, I see what you did there. You selectively edited the quote so it would agree with what you want to believe. But here is the entire quote:
    Also, 'intuitive' eating is something most people cannot successfully do for weight loss. There's a process that you must go through, in order for you to become in tune with your body's cues. I'm doing it now, but I'm in maintenance and have been learning to listen to my body for almost a year. No way in heck would I have been able to do it during weight loss and lost any weight. Now I eat intuitively, and I eat when hungry and stop when full.

You want someone to validate your choices, but that's not likely to happen when the choices seem unhealthy to the rest of us.

I wish you good luck on your journey, but I won't pretend that I think your actions are healthy.

I was wondering wth that came from....selective reading and quoting at it's finest...bravo OP
  • SuffolkSally
    SuffolkSally Posts: 964 Member
    Options

This is what I am talking about. Eating healthy and INTUITIVELY. NOW someone is getting it, finally!!! :-)

Geez, what have people been doing for thousands of years without the tools on this forum?... and the suckers were rarely, if ever, overweight.

If I did that in my local supermarket, I'd consume mainly alcohol, frozen desserts, ice cream, bread, cheese, red meat, packaged processed meat with a bit of an off-set of raw fruit and veg. I don't think this plan works quite so well in the UK, although it does sound very attractive...

I want to eat just like they were - intuitively, when hungry, stopping when decently full, NOT logging, and NOT putting on weight.
    Too much to ask?

Well here is a middle ground start:

Eat everything from the "perimeter" of the store aisles. This is where foods are in their natural state. Just from my experience you will become full "quicker" and more naturally.

If I did that in my local supermarket I'd consume (in addition to raw fruit and veg which are also on the outer edge of the shop) mainly dairy, cheese, processed packaged meat, red meat, bread, cakes, frozen desserts, ice cream, and alcohol. I don't think this plan works so well in the UK, although it does sound attractive...
  • 40mpw
    40mpw Posts: 75 Member
    Options

Then cut back on the exercise, so you have more time to focus on food-which is what has the most affect on weight loss. There are many, including myself, who have lost the weight without doing any exercise-it REALLY is about the calories. Also, 'intuitive' eating is something most people cannot successfully do for weight loss. There's a process that you must go through, in order for you to become in tune with your body's cues. I'm doing it now, but I'm in maintenance and have been learning to listen to my body for almost a year. No way in heck would I have been able to do it during weight loss and lost any weight. Now I eat intuitively, and I eat when hungry and stop when full. I also never go hungry. But, I still make very specific food choices that I know will be filling for longer lengths of time, that are also less calorie dense. I've also cut out lots of things that don't fit that criteria for me, like meat and dairy. I don't count calories, but I've learned how to truly listen to my body (which means I eat when I'm really hungry and never deprive myself and I stop when I am truly full), and I also have a healthy relationship with my scale and realize that I will have bounces and whooshes-the kind of relationship you obviously do not have.

It seems like you're trying to skip process of losing weight and go right to maintenance. It doesn't work that way. Take a step back, reevaluate your priorities and make it work for you.

I think this suggestion to cut back on exercise is a really good one. When I am working out 4-6 times/ week at an intense level, my appetite is a bottomless pit. I can eat everything in my house and yours and still not be satisfied.

My plan used to be similar to the OP's. Everything in moderation, "good decisions" over "obsessive tracking." I was running roughly 30-35 miles per week (which I consider intense, although some may not).

When I wasn't losing weight, I decided to incorporate calorie counting into my good decisions and running plan, and found that I was eating SO MUCH healthy food, there's no way I could lose weight.

As an experiment, I stopped running. I'm finally able to eat comfortably within my calorie limit and am now losing weight at a rate of a pound a week.

We are all an experiment of one. What the OP is doing now is not working. Maybe it's time to try something new for a few weeks.
  • victoriahunt93
    victoriahunt93 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I have found that with the many cooked-from-scratch foods I eat it is simply not practical to calculate how may calories my portion represents. I don't eat food that comes from labeled packages and for me it would just take way, way to long to figure out exactly how many calories a certain bite has.

That's why there is a Recipe option... You add all the ingredients that you used (even the cooking spray, the oil, the garlic, the broth, etc...) and it calculates the total calories for you and, depending on the number of servings you put for the recipe, it tells you exactly how many calories are in each serving. And then, if you ever use the recipe again, you can just add it from your recipes.

The bottom line is that you shouldn't be furious or frustrated until you consistently track your food for at least a month... Even though you're eating 'clean' and making all your own food, there's no way to really know how many calories your consuming. For example, if you cook with oil, that's 120 calories per tablesoon right there...

Try tracking (it gets easier and easier as you get accustomed to the system) and then reevaluate. If it turns out that you were estimating correctly, then you have a right to be frustrated, but until you get an accurate number of what you're eating every day, you shouldn't be upset.
  • histora
    histora Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Also all the passive-aggressive rude people on here addressing the poster indirectly and calling her 'insane'. STOP.

Play nice.

Excuse me, but I am going to need to see your internet police badge before I take orders. For my safety as well as yours.
  • acfkaren
    acfkaren Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    OP - you do what you want to do, as none of the advice you have been given you will take on board. Be prepared for getting seriously ill through lack of nutition, be prepared for even more crabby days as your blood sugars are on a rollercoaster.

Oh yeah - and be prepared for your children to ask you questions when they do nutrition at school - as you are clearly (to me) setting them an example of panic-weight loss.

As for being busy - are you truly busy or just very good at thinking you are busy?

And yes that is harsh and yes I'll probably be flamed but I really don't care as I am also a busy person with a job, house, husband, outside activities, a heap of volunatry work and I am also insulin-resistant so it is even harder to lose weight. But I dont make excuses. I get on with it.
  • miniversion
    miniversion Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I think if it was me, I would forget about losing weight for a few days to a week. I will have an image of what I think is the amount of food I'd be eating if I were on maintenance and eat that. Make sure I don't get hungry and drink water if I were, just in case it's dehydration. After feeling satisfied with food for days, then I will cut back and eat perhaps 25% less of the usual fare. Do that for a week then eat close to the full amount for a day or so then back to about 25% less again.....just cycle that way until I reach my goal...
  • histora
    histora Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Did someone say cat gif?

Perfect!! Now I can rest in peace knowing a cat is running amok all up in here.
    :smokin:
  • SanDiegoJohn
    SanDiegoJohn Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I was wondering wth that came from....selective reading and quoting at it's finest...bravo OP
    Can you tell I used to co-own and moderate a political message board? We saw all the tricks. *grin*
  • Ang108
    Ang108 Posts: 1,711 Member
    Options
    I have found that with the many cooked-from-scratch foods I eat it is simply not practical to calculate how may calories my portion represents. I don't eat food that comes from labeled packages and for me it would just take way, way to long to figure out exactly how many calories a certain bite has.

With all due respect; this is because you don't want to. I eat nothing from packages or boxes and cook all my meals at home. I log all individual ingredients, including condiments and it has never taken me more than 10 minutes. I am a busy woman with lots of activities, but also believe that if something is important to me I find the time to do it.....if not, than it is just not that important.
    For example; I read the paper each morning and get up a little bit earlier to do so. Now I log my food above all ( 90% of the time ) and then I read the paper, if there is time....if not, than it's only logging and no paper, because it's important to me.
  • victoriahunt93
    victoriahunt93 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I have been following this thread (I know, I'm a glutton for punishment) and I still don't know what the OP is looking for.

She's looking for someone who has a secret way to not eat, not exercise, not be hungry and still make the perfect body appear.

Wonder if they'll show up.

^ This. Haha. Lady, if you want to lose weight, you have to track the calories that go into your body and track the calories that you burn. Its simple science. You're looking for us to give you a solution that defies science and it just doesn't exist. Count your calories, work out, and you'll lose weight. Then, when you reach your goal, you can dial down your workouts and up your calories for maintenance. Duh. That's what this site is designed around.
  • laylaness
    laylaness Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    FOR ME - and again, I emphasize FOR ME!! - calorie counting is not just unpractical and time consuming (yes, I have tried it on this very site and it is very time consuming), but also psychologically unhealthy. I do not want to obsess over a specific "food journey" or "weight loss" journey every day.

I want to adjust my eating habit to a point where I eat healthy, I lose all the weight I need to lose, then I just maintain - without thinking much about it.
    Do I expect to be able to stuff my face with pizza and cake all day without giving it a thought - and maintain a healthy weight? Obviously not.

But this where common sense steps in.

I think you're already at a point that is psychologically unhealthy if you want to know if you will be hurting yourself by under-eating every day.

If you want answers to your questions, consult a doctor. They can tell you exactly how healthy your current lifestyle is.
  • csheltra26
    csheltra26 Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    [/quote]
    Sounds like you went into it and changed everything, cut back your intake dramatically and have managed to lose 29 lbs in less than 3 months by starving yourself. Understand 10 lbs a month is NOT normal..That is VERY aggressive..unless you happen to be over 400 lbs you are losing WAY too quickly. When you have only a little weight to lose - which by your ticker..maybe 30 lbs total you should be no where near 10 lbs per month loss.

Your goal is way too aggressive. Your body has now started down the path to adaptive thermogenisis. Your body refuses to lose weight because it has determined by the lack of nutrition that it has been getting the past few months that it needs to conserve its stores. Every extra calorie you give it will be stored because you have not been providing your body with enough fuel.

Set your goal to .5lbs/week loss and eat. You will gain weight for the first while until your body can re-establish a 'normal' level of nutrients. Unfortunately there is not really much way around that.

Read:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1077746-starvation-mode-adaptive-thermogenesis-and-weight-loss
    [/quote]

This.

Happened to me. I lost a ton of weight really fast (didn't feel like it at the time but it was). And I gained it back. I was starving all the time. I was exercising like a crazy woman and eating too few calories. I was tracking my calories everything bite that went in my mouth. I was under EVERY single week more than 3500 calories, yet I ate a burger for dinner one night and a donut for breakfast and my weight went up 2 pounds. This happened weeks on end.

Read the article. Listen to those people. You slow your metabolism down when you lose too fast and at too much of a cut. You need to gradually increase calories. You will probably gain weight. And then when your metabolism is working properly again, you can cut a reasonable deficit. I wish I had learned this much, much sooner.
  • Pookylou
    Pookylou Posts: 988 Member
    Options

If I did that in my local supermarket, I'd consume mainly alcohol, frozen desserts, ice cream, bread, cheese, red meat, packaged processed meat with a bit of an off-set of raw fruit and veg. I don't think this plan works quite so well in the UK, although it does sound very attractive...

Too much to ask?

Well here is a middle ground start:

Eat everything from the "perimeter" of the store aisles. This is where foods are in their natural state. Just from my experience you will become full "quicker" and more naturally.

If I did that in my local supermarket I'd consume (in addition to raw fruit and veg which are also on the outer edge of the shop) mainly dairy, cheese, processed packaged meat, red meat, bread, cakes, frozen desserts, ice cream, and alcohol. I don't think this plan works so well in the UK, although it does sound attractive...

I would get...dvds, ice cream, yogurts,milk, bread/cake and tea/coffee...... WINNER!!
  • mrsgrimsdale
    Options
    I only just joined so maybe I am not in the best position to offer advice but I will say this my OH eats anything he wants and stays slim because he constantly moves even when he sits to watch TV he taps his feet or fingers.
    When I started logging my intake the first thing I realised was I was under-eating consistently and despite that my sugar intake was way too high I have already begun to adapt my eating accordingly.
    Please try logging if you haven't yet, the advice others have given you comes from many peoples experience and they are not trying to preach they want to help
  • Bigjuicyhog
    Bigjuicyhog Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    HEY GUYZ!

I AM DOING SOMETHING THAT IS NOT REALLY WORKING FOR ME, BUT I DON'T WANT TO LISTEN TO ANY OF YOUR SUGGESTIONS! CAN YOU PLEASE GIVE ME A WAY TO GET THE RESULTS I WANT BY ONLY DOING IT THE WAY I WANT TO DO IT? THANKS!