Vegetarians........I need your help

Options
So my 10 year old daughter has expressed interest in trying out vegetarianism. I'm not sure how to ensure she has a well rounded diet while doing this. What she can or cannot eat.

Let me add that I have no desire to join her in this but I am supportive of her trying it out.

Replies

• cateyedkp
    cateyedkp Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    If she is ok with eating eggs and dairy products (she's be a "lacto-ovo vegetarian" in that case), it's super easy to get everything she needs in her diet. You can make almost any dish that is already in your repertoire without meat. Lasagna with tons of veggies, tacos with lentils or black beans in place of the ground beef, hearty soups that include beans, sandwiches and salads that include avocados, hummus, etc.

Indian and Middle Eastern recipes are often vegetarian and huge on flavor. Spices are your friend! There are tons of vegetarian cooking blogs with amazing recipes, start a board on Pinterest to help with meal planning.

As for what she can't eat, two things I'll flag for you that many vegetarians consider off the menu- broths that are meat based, and gelatin (a meat product in a lot of candy and even cereals).

The one major pitfall to avoid is making dishes that are all processed carbs and cheese For example, if you make lasagna, don't make it with just pasta, sauce, and cheese. Add broccoli, spinach, onions, squash, carrots, etc. It'll be more filling and way more nutritious for both of you. Use the meat substitutes if you must, but use them sparingly. They are heavily processed.

I became a vegetarian when I was 15 but was really unhealthy at first. Focus on incorporating a great variety of vegetables and beans and be careful with drowning everything in cheese. My husband eats meat, but he doesn't miss it at all with how I plan our meals. You might end up liking the switch too! Good luck :)
  • princessnik7
    princessnik7 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Yes, she is ok with eating eggs and dairy products. She also tends to google anything she is unsure about.
  • kristen2713
    kristen2713 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    cateyedkp said pretty much exactly what I have to say, I just wanted you to know you can feel free to add me, look at the healthier things in my food diary that I eat, or message with any questions. I started my quest for vegetarianism when I was 13 because some girlfriends and I made a bet, and after some pressing by me, my mom supported me fully (which I greatly appreciate(d)) and we learned about it together and we cooked my special meals together some nights.
  • lynalinda
    lynalinda Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Make sure to give her a source of vitamin C every time she eats something that has iron (enriched cereals, lentils, almond butter, green vegetables etc). A glass of water with some lemon juice can do the trick :)
  • lynalinda
    lynalinda Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Make sure to give her a source of vitamin C every time she eats something that has iron (enriched cereals, lentils, almond butter, green vegetables etc). A glass of water with some lemon juice can do the trick :)

I forgot to mention that you do that to increase the absorption of iron :)
  • totallydelirious
    Options
    Beans, lentils, chick peas, nuts!
    I didn't like them when i became vegetarian at 14, but now i LOVE them.

in the UK we get loads of 'meat alternatives' like mince meat but made out of soy protein, and Quorn which is also soy protein, that can be made to look like (and sorta taste like) sausages, or fillets of chicken etc. that's what my mum always used for me when she was cooking for me when i first was veggie. If my family were having sausages and veg, she could still do most the same stuff and just cook veggie sausages for me, or make spagetti bolognaise with soy mince.
    Or just cook up an omelette.

But now i don't want to eat processed protein (although, unlike processed meats they're really low in fat and salt, it's just i want to eat more naturally). Like you use lentils to make an indian dish called Dhal - basically lentils, water, curry paste and possibly onions and serve it with rice, like curry - or if i have salad i put chick peas in, or if i make stir fry veg i put cashew nuts in.

My family eat "meat and 2 veg" type meals (that might also be a kind of British thing), but i don't find veggie food works like that, if i got potatoes and carrots on a plate with a pile of beans it wouldn't be that exciting. beans don't taste of a lot so you have to make them into a full dish. for example, i have a recipe for a bean stew with 1 courgette, 1 aubergine, 1 peppers, 1 onion, 1 carrot, 2 tins of tomatoes, basil, cumin, a tablespoon of golden syrup (trust me), and about 2 tins of beans (not like baked beans, but like butter beans and kidney beans and black eye beans etc) <- that will make 4-6 portions. It's pretty low in calories (that recipe would be about 1200 for the full dish), and it's got loads of protein and veg in. You just cook it in a pan for about 20mins or until the veg are cooked and serve and it's so yummy. Either eaten just on its own as a smaller meal or with a jacket potato or on top of rice.

Omnomnom.
  • mrk1185
    mrk1185 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    My very favorite lasagna is actually vegan, you can use tofu and seasonings to whip up a filling with the same consistency as ricotta. I've brought it to potlucks before and had none to take home :(

But yeah, I'll second most of what else has been said here. Love the Quorn products, quinoa (cooked up with cranberries and pecans), lentils, beans, etc.

Might be worth picking up a cookbook with some recipe ideas, too. Vegetarian Times has a couple of good ones.
  • xoeva
    xoeva Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    My ten year old son has been a strict vegetarian for 18 months now. Still growing, still getting good grades, same level of activity. Mother-in-law worries like crazy but he's fine. I put out lots of protein snacks, nuts (almonds are the best nutrition wise, but pecans taste the best), a hard boiled egg for snack is good, sometimes tofu in a smoothie, he eats eggs almost every breakfast and has cheese (hard cheese is best). We also have 'fake meat' or veggie meat, different brands out there- looks like ground beef. The traditional one, we tried the Mexican one and it was pretty spicy. And lots and lots of beans. Refried are the yummiest, but black beans are the most nutritious. Sometimes if I feel he needs a 'protein boost' I just put a small bowl of black beans on the side and he eats them. He naturally has always eaten lots of veggies and fruit so in that area we are fine. He decided to become vegetarian after we visited a farm and he saw how cute the animals were and he didn't want to eat something that had eyes, a brain and walked around. I became a vegetarian just cause it's easier to cook.... although I do eat fish once a week and sometimes, about once a month max I eat a small amount of chicken.
    try watching this video from you tube ...super cute about a boy who wants to be a vegetarian... or try googling on you tube 'Brazilian child octopus' GOOD LUCK

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJNntUXyWvw
  • xoeva
    xoeva Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Or strawberries, or home made lemonade, or a kiwi when eating beans so the iron is absorbed.
  • 40mpw
    40mpw Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Your daughter is lucky to have such a supportive parent! I am mostly pescetarian. I eat probably two servings of meat a month, and 1 or 2 servings of fish or shellfish a week. My meals have shifted away from meat + vegetable + starch to one dish meals. Casseroles, curries, salads, and pastas are dinner staples for me.

This Artichoke Spinach Lasagna is in heavy rotation at my house: http://allrecipes.com/recipe/artichoke-spinach-lasagna/

Also, a crockpot chickpea curry similar to this one: http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/vegetable-chickpea-curry-10000000701091/

We replicate Pot Belly's Chickpea Veggie Salad at home: http://www.potbelly.com/Food/OurMenu.aspx?subPage=Salads (don't let the fact that it's a salad fool you, the chickpeas and eggs make it a hearty and filling meal)

Best of luck to you and your daughter!
  • shano25
    shano25 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Check your library for vegetarian cookbooks, there are quite a few out there for kids. Take your daughter's favourite meals and then find ways to make them vegetarian. The only concern is really about getting enough protein and iron but as long as you're replacing meat with foods that are rich in those things, she'll be fine.

The PETA website has some good resources for going vegetarian. I suggest getting some books and getting familiar with it, we're very lucky now that we have so many options easily available at the grocery store.
  • cneumayer
    Options
    I've been vegetarian for over 20 years and for many of those years I have subscribed to Vegetarian Times magazine. They have lots of wonderful recipes that are well balanced, delicious, and would appeal to non vegetarians as well. I'd highly recommend picking up a copy or subscribing! Their website has a great index of recipes, too. (http://www.vegetariantimes.com)

Here are some additional cookbooks that I really love:
    Vegetarian Cooking for Everyone: http://www.amazon.com/Vegetarian-Cooking-Everyone-Deborah-Madison/dp/0767927478
    Vegetarian Express Lane: http://www.amazon.com/Vegetarian-Express-Lane-Cookbook-Hassle-Free/dp/0395971756

For anyone interested in low calorie, super filling, vegan cooking this is my absolute favorite. I've made almost every recipe in the whole book: http://www.amazon.com/Appetite-Reduction-Filling-Low-Fat-Recipes/dp/1600940498
  • AleciaG724
    AleciaG724 Posts: 705 Member
    Options
    My 4 kids and I are vegetarian - the two older ones are vegan - all by our own choice. I don't want them to feel pressured into labeling themselves one thing or another... I always say the vegetarian police are not going to lock them up and take them away if they want to have meat. It's harder for kids to be veg if they are picky eaters. The real trick is to eat a wide variety of fruits, veggies and whole grains.
  • dressagester
    dressagester Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Stress that being veg takes some more thought in order to get adequate nutrition. My 14 year old daughter is vegan (so am I) and I took her to a nutritionist just to help further her education and it helped give her real world "choose this, not that" skills.

There are also a lot of "Starter Kits" online that will give you a good place to start.

Around our house we have a rule: every meal and snack has to have a protein source and a veg or fruit. That cuts down on mindless bags of chips and garbage. It's VERY EASY to be a junk food veg/vegan. Also all teens and women of childbearing years should be on a good multi with folic acid. Make sure there's also a B complex in there.
  • JuantonBliss
    JuantonBliss Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Check out this site called The Flaming Vegan :) It has wonderful recipes and advice <3 I wish your daughter and you good luck.
  • DaveneGfit
    DaveneGfit Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    I have been a vegetarian for several years now and love it! I think the most important thing is to eat lots of greens. I mainly eat greens, legumes, oats, quinoa, and fruit. I know a lot of vegetarians start off by eating a lot of processed food and fake meats and that is where the problem can come in. Have here do a google search. There are so many resources out there. Kimberly Snyder is one of my favorites and she has a lot of wonderful recipes.
  • herblackwings39
    herblackwings39 Posts: 3,930 Member
    Options
    I'm not vegetarian, but I love The Moosewood cookbooks. There are some tasty vegetarian recipes between the covers.
  • princessnik7
    princessnik7 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the information. Last night she had salad mix, with frozen corn and boiled egg :sick: but she said it was sooooo good. She is somewhat of a picky eater, she doesn't like cheese unless it is on pizza or in macaroni. I am going to look into some of the websites and other things that have been mentioned. Thanks!
  • Zaniejane
    Zaniejane Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    There is an app called the 21 day vegan kickstart, I just like it for the recipes. My sixteen- year- old is vegetarian and one of her Favourite recipes is curried lentil cous cous soup. I swap quinoa for cous cous but I think they are both more or less equal nutritionally. I keep trying different tofu recipes also but she's not keen on tofu. There are so many recipes online for burgers made with lentils, beans,etc. I cook a lot and make seitan once a week.

Nutritional yeast is so yummy on popcorn and it is supplimented with B12. (B12 is also in animal products and many vegetarian foods are fortified with it)

Have fun!
  • satishpendse
    satishpendse Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Try Indian food, you will get lots and lots of vegetarian options. You can then select whatever she likes.