Calories

Options
Hi everyone. im starting insanity and i just did their way of seeing how many calories i should eat.
it came out to 1963.98. My current calorie goal is 800.
See the difference?
And YES i know 800 "isnt enough" but i have a hard time eating that. im just not hungry.

So sense i have a hard time finding enough food to get to 800 calories, how am i going to eat 1963.98 during insanity?
What should i do?
a split the difference kinda thing? bringing it to around 1163.98
Try to eat the full 1963.98?
Or stick to 800, but not worry about going over?
im just so lost

Replies

• NinjadURbacon
    NinjadURbacon Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    you need to eat more period. add more meals, more snacks. Do protein shakes after insanity to add more calories.
  • FrankiesSaysRelax
    FrankiesSaysRelax Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    Pretty sure you already know you shouldn't be sticking to 800 calories. I would eat the full 1963. I've done insanity (and p90x and nrolfw and all the other trendy workouts), and you really do need the calories. You might lose on 800 but it's not sustainable and you will gain it back.. I guarantee it. I can make a protein shake be 600+ calories. If you aren't hungry try drinking a shake instead.
  • ritchiedrama
    ritchiedrama Posts: 1,304 Member
    Options
    yep, you need to eat more - it isnt a case of "if you can survive on 800 you'll be fine"

eat more, or you're heading the right way for a terrible eating disorder.

you CAN eat more, just havve to get used to it.
  • Mslmesq
    Mslmesq Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    You stated in a previous post you are recovering from an ed. Now you state you want to eat too few calories for anyone to adequately get nutrition and do a crazy insane exercise regimine.

I think you already know, or should know, the answers you are going to get. You are setting yourself up to be attacked.

My two cents: Please don't do this to yourself. You deserve a healthy lifestyle.
  • CaliforniaBarbie
    CaliforniaBarbie Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Its not that i cant find food that is higher in calories to eat, i cant eat a 550 calorie cheeseburger. its more that i eat breakfast, snack, lunch, snake, dinner, and sometimes dessert, but all my meals are on the healthier end, and low in calories, and i dont know what else TO eat that's healthy.

and im not trying to eat below 800 on purpose thats just how it ends up working out most days
  • FrankiesSaysRelax
    FrankiesSaysRelax Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    Its not that i cant find food that is higher in calories to eat, i cant eat a 550 calorie cheeseburger. its more that i eat breakfast, snack, lunch, snake, dinner, and sometimes dessert, but all my meals are on the healthier end, and low in calories, and i dont know what else TO eat that's healthy.

and im not trying to eat below 800 on purpose thats just how it ends up working out most days

How on earth can you eat 3 full meals, dessert and 2 snacks and be under 800 calories? Healthier foods to eat that have some decent calories in them- eggs, avocado, nuts, fruit, protein bars, peanut butter. Try making food in coconut oil/olive oil or butter for extra calories too.
  • CaliforniaBarbie
    Options
    You stated in a previous post you are recovering from an ed. Now you state you want to eat too few calories for anyone to adequately get nutrition and do a crazy insane exercise regimine.

I think you already know, or should know, the answers you are going to get. You are setting yourself up to be attacked.

My two cents: Please don't do this to yourself. You deserve a healthy lifestyle.

i am recovering. and im not TRYING to eat too few calories, its not like i work at it, thats just how it ends up happening most days, if i go over i dont flip out, i can just never seem to get that many calories.
    and if people want to attack me for trying to get some advice on not only how many calories i may need to eat while on insanity and also if anyone could be super helpful by through some food ideas my way that would be nice to, then they can attack me. i feel that show small minded people, if you dont have something nice to say dont say it, i dont need to hear your negative comments
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    Perhaps you could look at macros instead of calories. Try to get 120g+ of protein, 40g+ of fats, and say 230g+ of carbs. Get about 1760 calories using those as baseline. Shrugs.
  • CaliforniaBarbie
    Options

How on earth can you eat 3 full meals, dessert and 2 snacks and be under 800 calories? Healthier foods to eat that have some decent calories in them- eggs, avocado, nuts, fruit, protein bars, peanut butter, olive oil/coconut oil.

i never have time for a "full" breakfast, so thats normally a yogurt, followed by some nuts like almonds for a snack, or maybe some kind of bar. lunch is a small salad, and i work through "lunch time" so i normally have my lunch during a "snack time" and dinner is normally just grilled fish or something. and dessert is rare. and i workout a lot, and have a physical job so most of my calories end up getting burned off, and thats my MFP always says im under my calorie goal. i may eat over 800 but burn off more then i can eat back by the end of the night
  • Adrianachiarato
    Adrianachiarato Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    Eat nuts. They are very high in calories but still healthy.
  • CaliforniaBarbie
    Options
    Perhaps you could look at macros instead of calories. Try to get 120g+ of protein, 40g+ of fats, and say 230g+ of carbs. Get about 1760 calories using those as baseline. Shrugs.

thank you. now this was actually helpful.
    i think macros would be easier to try for rather than calories.
    thank you
  • coffee_rocks
    coffee_rocks Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    If you lack time, how about a peanut butter sandwich on whole wheat bread, or a pita, for breakfast on the run? Almost 400 calories and portable food. Add something to that salad - grilled chicken, boiled eggs, sliced nuts, or even a healthy fat like olive oil. For dinner, I'd toss in a quick veggie with that fish. Something easy to grill but full of good fats and nutrients.

You probably won't go from 800 to 1,900 in a day, but work at adding a few changes each week, and you'll hit the goals you set!
  • MyaPapaya75
    MyaPapaya75 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    Trying to add in a positive comment...insanity is a very high intensity workout it takes commitment with that being said I really think you should try to increase your calories a few weeks using the suggestions a few members gave you before doing the program...your going to need the energy to do insanity..it would make no sense for you to try the program on 800 calories a day..just not healthy you would be way to far in the negative. I think once you have the calories where they should be you would probably do great and have way more success.
  • NinjadURbacon
    NinjadURbacon Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    you can prepare meals ahead of time. Or get meal replacement bars to help too.
  • CaliforniaBarbie
    Options
    If you lack time, how about a peanut butter sandwich on whole wheat bread, or a pita, for breakfast on the run? Almost 400 calories and portable food. Add something to that salad - grilled chicken, boiled eggs, sliced nuts, or even a healthy fat like olive oil. For dinner, I'd toss in a quick veggie with that fish. Something easy to grill but full of good fats and nutrients.

You probably won't go from 800 to 1,900 in a day, but work at adding a few changes each week, and you'll hit the goals you set!

thank you. i will definitely try that peanut butter sandwich tomorrow, sounds like a great easy, and quick plan.
    and thank you for your other suggestion. very helpful
  • elizabethgriebel
    Options
    You should do your best to eat the recommended amount or there is a very good chance that you won't see the results you are looking for. Insanity is an intense workout and you need those calories to keep going.
  • jaxxie
    jaxxie Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    Huge props for working on recovery and asking for help. Listen to the advice you get and focus on forward. You can totally do this.
  • elizabethgriebel
    Options
    i never have time for a "full" breakfast, so thats normally a yogurt, followed by some nuts like almonds for a snack, or maybe some kind of bar. lunch is a small salad, and i work through "lunch time" so i normally have my lunch during a "snack time" and dinner is normally just grilled fish or something. and dessert is rare. and i workout a lot, and have a physical job so most of my calories end up getting burned off, and thats my MFP always says im under my calorie goal. i may eat over 800 but burn off more then i can eat back by the end of the night

You really should try to follow the Insanity nutrition guide then. The meals are very quick to make and are great for someone who eats through their lunch time (coming from someone who does the same thing). Even if you can't eat the recommended 5 meals a day (which IS the healthiest way to eat), just make the meals you do eat 500 calorie ones and you would at least be better off than you are now :)
  • fivethreeone
    fivethreeone Posts: 8,196 Member
    Options
    Evolution will take care of this.

ETA Insanity will burn at least half that much for you. You can't live on 400 calories. Do what you need to do to not kill yourself.
  • TyTy76
    TyTy76 Posts: 1,761 Member
    Options
    Generally when people put "not enough" when asking for help, they really don't want help.

Good luck OP